PDA

View Full Version : So, I became two dragons...

Judge_Worm
2015-04-12, 10:32 PM
So I'm a 17th level Telepath//PsyWar, with overchannel.
Manifested overchanneled schism, then overchannel true mind switched an adult dragon (augmented by 20 pp to up dc by 10), then used my split mind to mind switch a juvenile dragon. Now I'm two black dragons. My former body is occupied by the psyches of momma and baby dragon. Then we all left, because I didn't want to take the hit for killing my old body.

What's gonna happen when mind switch or schism ends? Oh, and I now need a non-epic body because my ecl is ridiculous, suggestions?

PS, stashed my juvenile dragon body on the astral in temporal stasis until we figure out what to do with it.

Flickerdart
2015-04-12, 10:48 PM
Frankly, I'd say that you couldn't have gotten to where you are in the first place - any true mind switch manifested by either the full mind or the schismed mind takes both of them along for the ride, since there's only one you in the equation.

Aegis013
2015-04-12, 10:50 PM
Augment True Mind Switch by 20pp?

Even with Overchannel, and full Manifester Level, the most you could spend on the power is 20 total pp, which wouldn't increase the DC by 10, but rather by a mere 1.

Karl Aegis
2015-04-13, 01:43 AM
True Mind Switch can't even be augmented. Quite frankly, you aren't playing the same game as the rest of us.

Aegis013
2015-04-13, 02:28 AM
True Mind Switch can't even be augmented.

I think it can be, particularly because it says "As Mind Switch, except as noted here", and mind switch can be augmented, where True Mind Switch doesn't specify. So I think it carries the augmentation capabilities of Mind Switch, but that's just my opinion, and otherwise, seems to me you're right.

icefractal
2015-04-13, 02:40 AM
IIRC, the DSP Telepath has the ability, possibly via archetype, to augment any telepathy power for higher DC, whether that option normally exists or not.

As for augmenting it by 20 PP, hmm. In 3.5, that's (relatively) easy to do if we assume full magic/psionics transparency (or use the rather broken item from Eberron). In Pathfinder ...
Level 17 + 3 Overchannel + 3 Surge Crystal + 1 Torc (effective) + 3 (Orange Ioun Stone in Wayfinder w/ good roll) + 1 Robe that boosts CL = 28, not enough. But there's probably some things I'm forgetting.

ShurikVch
2015-04-13, 04:12 AM
Frankly, I'd say that you couldn't have gotten to where you are in the first place - any true mind switch manifested by either the full mind or the schismed mind takes both of them along for the ride, since there's only one you in the equation. What if Judge_Worm instead used an item of Fission (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fission.htm)?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-13, 04:35 AM
You can't switch just the Schism in the first place. Mechanically you get a second, mental-only standard action. The second mind is fluff.
Since your DM allowed it anyway i'd say the second body dies when Schism runs out, because it won't have a mind anymore.

Also True Mind Switch doesn't change your ECL. Which makes sense, considering that you gain almost none of the qualities of your new body except what's mentioned in the power description:

You gain the type of your assumed body.
You gain the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of your assumed body.
You gain the natural armor, natural attacks, movement, and other simple physical characteristics of your assumed body.
You gain the extraordinary special attacks and qualities of your assumed body, but you do not gain supernatural or spell-like abilities.
You gain the possessions and equipment of your assumed body.
You retain your own hit points, saving throws (possibly modified by new ability scores), class abilities, supernatural and spell-like abilities, spells and powers, and skills and feats (although skill checks use your new ability scores, and you may be temporarily unable to use feats whose requirements you do not meet in your new body).

In the case of a dragon you don't get the breath weapon, SLA, or racial spellcasting or any of the features of racial dragon HD (full BAB, 6+int skills, all good saves), which makes up a lot of the LA of dragons so it would be a pretty sad trade otherwise.

What if Judge_Worm instead used an item of Fission (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fission.htm)?

You rejoin when Fission ends. I'd rule that as the body your clone inhabited dying and the original personality of that body also dying because its body evaporates.

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 09:20 AM
Also True Mind Switch doesn't change your ECL. Which makes sense, considering that you gain almost none of the qualities of your new body except what's mentioned in the power description:

In the case of a dragon you don't get the breath weapon, SLA, or racial spellcasting or any of the features of racial dragon HD (full BAB, 6+int skills, all good saves), which makes up a lot of the LA of dragons so it would be a pretty sad trade otherwise.

Yeah, be something with awesome ability scores. Like the tarrasque, or something.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-13, 09:52 AM
Yeah, be something with awesome ability scores. Like the tarrasque, or something.

Mind Switch is limited by ML, so you're going to need high epic level or a lot of CL heightening with generous transparency rules.

And i'd rather get a form with good (Ex) abilities that actually synergize with the whole "being a primary caster" thing. Sure, high Con is nice, but i don't need the 45 Str, the 16 Dex kind of sucks as do the (lack of) movement modes and i'd prefer going without the SR or the size.

You can almost certainly find a better form (with a lot less HD) if you go bookdiving a little.

Judge_Worm
2015-04-14, 08:47 PM
Augment True Mind Switch by 20pp?

Even with Overchannel, and full Manifester Level, the most you could spend on the power is 20 total pp, which wouldn't increase the DC by 10, but rather by a mere 1.

That's my error, but the dm didn't catch it, so I'm not bringing it up. Too late anyway.

I think it can be, particularly because it says "As Mind Switch, except as noted here", and mind switch can be augmented, where True Mind Switch doesn't specify. So I think it carries the augmentation capabilities of Mind Switch, but that's just my opinion, and otherwise, seems to me you're right.

And that was my reasoning.

You can't switch just the Schism in the first place. Mechanically you get a second, mental-only standard action. The second mind is fluff.
Since your DM allowed it anyway i'd say the second body dies when Schism runs out, because it won't have a mind anymore.

You rejoin when Fission ends. I'd rule that as the body your clone inhabited dying and the original personality of that body also dying because its body evaporates.

He got me on flight, size, physical ability, basically the EX stuff. And I might've made a comment on taking epic feats... So he slapped me with 5la which is ECL 22.

So it dies. Simple enough.