PDA

View Full Version : 1st Level Warlock Build

arawra
2015-04-13, 07:07 AM
I'm thinking about playing a Warlock with the pact of the Old Ones. I've asked my DM if this 3.5 feat was an option to take, and he agreed to it with the following stipulations - I'd have to have Insight, and that the range would be equal to my Intelligence Charisma Mod x 10. I have not rolled for stats yet, but if this were an option for you would you take it?

E: I'm also thinking about doing some cheese with Minor Illusion/Prestidigitation for some added fun
EE: DM as agreed to use Charisma instead of Intelligence ^^

http://i.imgur.com/wchBzs7.png

Kane0
2015-04-13, 07:36 AM
I would definitely like to get my hands on such an ability, i mean just look at when the rogue gets comparable blindsight.

Insights not a bad skill to have, perhaps grab a background that grants it, but if it were to key off Int then mod x10' works. I'd probably ask for cha since thats where all your other stuff comes from, or even better just a flat 30', but thats just me.

Giant2005
2015-04-13, 07:37 AM
I'd take the offer if I had infallible trust in my DM. Otherwise I wouldn't take the risk of him making the Insight DCs too far out of reach for it to be worth adding two extra highly required attributes (Wisdom and Intelligence) to an already MAD class.

arawra
2015-04-13, 07:42 AM
I would definitely like to get my hands on such an ability, i mean just look at when the rogue gets comparable blindsight.

Insights not a bad skill to have, perhaps grab a background that grants it, but if it were to key off Int then mod x10' works. I'd probably ask for cha since thats where all your other stuff comes from, or even better just a flat 30', but thats just me.

Well, I'd be using Human Variant for the feat to start with at first level. I could use the bonus skill to grant Insight. Because of the feat itself, I wouldn't be in need of Perception as much either.

Kane0
2015-04-13, 08:05 AM
Just keep in mind the limited range. A straight 30' would be my recommendation, functioning as blindsight for anything with an Int of say 4 (maybe 6) or higher. No check to detect, just need proficiency in insight to be able to take the feat. That way its not stat dependant and is useful but not must-have. Compare with other feats like alert and observant.
Besides its not like Great Old One lock is the best patron as is, limited blindsense at the cost of a feat wouldnt break it.

Person_Man
2015-04-13, 08:05 AM
I personally would not take it.

It sets up a metagame I would not want to play. It alters and/or removes some important exploration and roleplaying elements I enjoy. You don't have to listen at doors, you don't have to wonder if the prisoner is really a human or a succubus, you don't have to use a bag of chalk to reveal the invisible enemy, etc. That's a big part of what D&D is for me. Removing them means that your DM is going to put in other, potentially much more deadly and difficult challenges that are much harder to anticipate. Behind the door is a mindless Iron Golem, the prisoner is really a custom arch-demon that can send false telepathic thoughts, the enemy uses magical blindness against you instead of being invisible, etc. Remember, its the DMs job to challenge you. Making yourself ostensibly more powerful in some unique way just shifts the challenges into unfamiliar territory, similar to high level D&D gameplay. Except you won't have high level spells and abilities to compensate.

In addition, it introduces MAD into your build. Warlocks want 20 Cha, 20 Dex, and 20 Con. They can get by fine with 14-16ish in each. But bonuses in 5E are very rare, and so you want to max them if possible. And even if you roll 4 high ability scores, I would want the fourth high score to be in Wisdom (Perception, important Save) not Intelligence (basically useless).

Kane0
2015-04-13, 08:12 AM
Oh and dont forget to make sure with your DM if your telepathy is one-way or two-way, that is something that should be clear before you start.