PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcane Spell Failure and Touch Spells

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 08:42 AM
I am currently building a White Haired Witch/Hexcrafter Magus. I am going to be using armor throughout the levels and notice that I will incur a Arcane Spell Failure chance thanks to this option. I will be applying touch spells via my hair during fights and I was curious if Arcane Spell Failure would hamper my use of Touch Spells. Would I have to make a check when using this type of spell?

Also, do wants incur a penalty from Arcane Spell Failure chance?

Thank you!

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 09:03 AM
Touch spells get ASF%, unless they lack somatic components.

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 09:08 AM
Thank you!

grarrrg
2015-04-13, 10:39 AM
Potentially helpful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314617-Reducing-Arcane-Spell-Failure-in-Pathfinder&p=16427024#post16427024)

Psyren
2015-04-13, 10:42 AM
If all you want to use the hair for is to deliver touch spells, you can skip white-haired witch entirely and just use the prehensile hair hex on your magus to do that. This would allow you to avoid ASF since magi can cast magus spells in armor natively.

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 11:19 AM
If all you want to use the hair for is to deliver touch spells, you can skip white-haired witch entirely and just use the prehensile hair hex on your magus to do that. This would allow you to avoid ASF since magi can cast magus spells in armor natively.

I am also looking to use it as a grapple. I am mainly shooting for a disabler type of build. I am using the Defiler build on this page (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fSJuL1O4hs15NMk-y4MXbH9D_qt9V7iwhY2y9HDrs74/edit) as a skeleton for a build. The only problems I see on this build seem to be it was designed before the errata was included that changed the free actions on the WHW to swift actions. So it has changed it so you cannot Constrict multiple times (or on multiple targets) per round.

I am having a bit of trouble working out all the kinks in this now as I don't know if I will completely starved later by the lack of Swift Actions.

(This is a PFS character)

Human White Haired Witch 2/Hexcrafter Magus 1

Str: 13
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 18 (+2)
Wis: 11
Cha: 7

Feats:
Combat Reflex
Rime Spell (Frostbite)
Power Attack

Traits:
Magical Lineage (Frostbite)
Bruising Intellect

Familiar: King Crab (The master of a king crab familiar gains a +2 bonus on CMB checks to start and maintain a grapple.)

Currently waiting for Level 6 to get the Prehensile Hair Hex (I am assuming the benefits of the White Haired Witch archetype transfer over to the Prehensile Hair Hex and allow you to use Grapple and Constrict) and will use Cornugon Smash.

The main problems I see are the Constrict swift action and the Arcane Accuracy bonus bumping into each other and spell failure getting in the way of other spells I would cast.