PDA

View Full Version : How distracted must a character be to qualify as being distracted?

SangoProduction
2015-04-13, 09:53 AM
Apparently, there's a penalty to spot and listen checks for when you are distracted. But how distracted is "distracted"? Is it just if they aren't trying their damnedest to stay on look out? Could they engage in casual conversation while still staying on look out, and not be "distracted"? How about if you weren't necessarily paying attention to looking out for enemies, but just walking along? And casual conversation? Or must they be in the middle of a full on mud-slinging debate, or battle to count as "distracted".

Maglubiyet
2015-04-13, 09:57 AM
Huh, sorry did you say something? I was reading in another window.

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 09:59 AM
I would think distraction is when their focus is on anything other than locating something.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-13, 10:02 AM
Apparently, there's a penalty to spot and listen checks for when you are distracted. But how distracted is "distracted"? Is it just if they aren't trying their damnedest to stay on look out? Could they engage in casual conversation while still staying on look out, and not be "distracted"? How about if you weren't necessarily paying attention to looking out for enemies, but just walking along? And casual conversation? Or must they be in the middle of a full on mud-slinging debate, or battle to count as "distracted".

Talking is a free action, which means you can do it in the middle of combat, while casting spells, climbing, swimming (!?), etc. so I don't think that qualifies as "distracted" (in this game).

I would consider distracted to mean while you're taking another action, like movement, attacking, aiming, etc.

Necromancy
2015-04-13, 10:03 AM
I would say a 12+ charisma topless elf babe trying to grapple you makes a good baseline.

Also the rules on concentration help

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm

Karl Aegis
2015-04-13, 11:05 AM
I think being under the effects of the psionic powers Attraction or Distract would make you distracted.