PDA

View Full Version : Will regeneration prevent drowning

Belteshazzar
2007-04-14, 08:16 PM
One of my players has +1 regeneration as a racial trait (its a small kind of troll). I am wondering if drowning would kill him if some of the traps I am thinking of throwing at the party catch him?

Raum
2007-04-14, 08:19 PM
The regeneration won't help, drowning doesn't cause hit point damage.

Edit: To be clear, death by drowning isn't caused by hit point damage. You die on the third round rather than at -10.

TheThan
2007-04-14, 08:51 PM
No regeneration won’t help. However drowning restores your lost hitpoints to 0 (from negatives), which doesn’t make any sense but that’s the rules.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-14, 09:13 PM
yeah drowning isn't destroying any flesh so there's nothing damaged to regenerate.

clarkcd
2007-04-14, 09:17 PM
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration):

"Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation."

the_tick_rules
2007-04-14, 09:20 PM
so remember everyone, drown the tarrasque.

Belteshazzar
2007-04-14, 09:48 PM
Thanks I was just wondering if I would have to make the water traps acid flavored for a little extra kick.

BCOVertigo
2007-04-14, 09:56 PM
Instead of acid flavored why not have it freeze on contact with saliva?(chemical or magic or something)
That'll teach him to drink/swim/fall in! (standard drowning rules and strength check to escape or something, guaranteed to grant hydrophobia to your int 6 troll player especially if used in a fight)((I like traps))

Mewtarthio
2007-04-14, 10:53 PM
so remember everyone, drown the tarrasque.

Tarrasquian Regeneration is unique: It also protects against Death Effects and the like. Thus, it's possible that it could prevent Big T from drowning, suffocating, or starving.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-14, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the Tarrasque being immune to mundane death effects. That would mean that it eats entire towns every few years completely for fun.

Nasrudith
2007-04-14, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the Tarrasque being immune to mundane death effects. That would mean that it eats entire towns every few years completely for fun.
Just because it doesn't need food to survive doesn't mean its not hungry and eating to get rid of the hunger pains.

Tehnar
2007-04-15, 03:58 AM
A campaign ago our party (around lvl 11) encountered a encampment of trolls and some hih lvl goblin shamans. The trolls were immune to both acid (some wierd template), and fire (due to goblin buffs). Anyway after the fun was over the fighter and cleric started beating the trolls corpses to prevent regeneration while the rest of the party dug a hole. We deposited the troll corpses into hole and covered it up with dirt. Voila dead trolls.