PDA

View Full Version : Starting 5e

Hypername
2015-04-13, 12:36 PM
How easy would it be for a PF player like me to pick up D&D 5e? Where should I start if I want to start learning?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-04-13, 12:42 PM
Start with the free rules pdf on the WotC website. Learning 5e is really easy. The actual "How to play" portions of the rules in the aforementionned pdf are only about 25 pages, the rest are spells and character creation.

hawklost
2015-04-13, 12:45 PM
Also take note that there quite a few rules that seem similar at first glance but are highly different between PF and 5e.

Grapple, Opportunity Attacks and Movement come to mind immediately.

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-13, 12:45 PM
How easy would it be for a PF player like me to pick up D&D 5e? Where should I start if I want to start learning?

As before, use the basic rules mentioned above.

Also, more general tip: do not try to apply your knowledge of pathfinder to 5e. It's a totally different ruleset built on different math and different fundamental assumptions. Don't assume that any particular mechanic works the same way just because you remember how it worked in PF; learn how each mechanic works in 5e.

Hypername
2015-04-13, 12:56 PM
Oh I see. Are there big fundamental differences between the two systems or is it just minor tweaks?

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-13, 12:59 PM
Oh I see. Are there big fundamental differences between the two systems or is it just minor tweaks?

Massive, sweeping, fundamental differences.

It still feels like D&D/pathfinder - lots of the same classes with the same feel to them, same heroic fantasy nature, still lots of rolling d20s - but the underlying math is completely rebuilt.

Hypername
2015-04-13, 01:01 PM
Massive, sweeping, fundamental differences.

It still feels like D&D/pathfinder - lots of the same classes with the same feel to them, same heroic fantasy nature, still lots of rolling d20s - but the underlying math is completely rebuilt.

Ι see... Time to find a handbook or something then!

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-13, 01:02 PM
Ι see... Time to find a handbook or something then!

Here's a short list off the top of my head of mechanics that were totally redone in 5e:

base attack bonus doesn't exist anymore (replaced by other mechanics), wealth by level does not exist anymore, each ability score has an attached save (so you have STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHA saves instead of just reflex, fortitude, and will), there's no more need to confirm critical hits (automatic crit on 20), subclasses are now a thing, multiclassing is de-emphasized, feats now replace ability score increases and are much, much more powerful.

On the whole, it's a much better, more balanced, and less finicky system, so don't be afraid of the fact that everything is really, really different.

Ardantis
2015-04-13, 01:05 PM
Person man made a useful primer, I think

Hypername
2015-04-13, 01:07 PM
Here's a short list off the top of my head of mechanics that were totally redone in 5e:

base attack bonus doesn't exist anymore (replaced by other mechanics), wealth by level does not exist anymore, each ability score has an attached save (so you have STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHA saves instead of just reflex, fortitude, and will), there's no more need to confirm critical hits (automatic crit on 20), subclasses are now a thing, multiclassing is de-emphasized, feats now replace ability score increases and are much, much more powerful.

On the whole, it's a much better, more balanced, and less finicky system, so don't be afraid of the fact that everything is really, really different.

Not really afraid, intrigued.

Inevitability
2015-04-13, 01:59 PM
Some very helpful advice I haven't seen yet: Don't be concerned if the numbers on your character sheet seem low. 5e assumes numbers stay about the same during the whole game, mostly so that low-level monsters remain a challenge to high-level heroes.

For example, my 9th-level party's AC ranges between 15 and 20. That's not even that different from first-level characters!

Person_Man
2015-04-13, 01:59 PM
Person man made a useful primer, I think

A Grognard's Guide to 5E D&D Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358474-A-Grognard-s-Guide-to-5E-D-amp-D-Rules)

Gwendol
2015-04-15, 01:52 AM
Here's a thread that's useful to keep handy. It contains all kinds of useful info on the game.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D