PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Khaastas as a playable race. Can't find stats.

Desiani
2015-04-13, 04:27 PM
I am looking to play a Khaasta in my next game. I have looked at Serpent Kingdoms and Fiend Folio, page 115, where SK said their stats were.

Neither of the books gave the player character detail only that they were an ECL 3 race (in fiend folio).

Does anyone know where to find what a Khaasta gets as a PC?

Jurai
2015-04-13, 04:37 PM
To determine ability score modifiers, subtract eleven from odd ability scores and ten from even ability scores. A race receives every benefit of its type and any subtypes it may have, as well as any abilities the monster may have. According the Fiend Folio, they are Monstrous Humanoids with the Reptilian subtype, and unless the update document changed it, have no Level Adjustment but three Racial Hit Dice. Its ability score modifiers are Strength +8, and Dexterity, Constitution, and Intelligence +2. It gains 2+Intelligence modifier skill points per level of Monstrous Humanoid, with four times that result at first level, as well as +1 Fortitude and Will Save bonus and +3 Reflex save bonus. It also has Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Desiani
2015-04-13, 05:18 PM
To determine ability score modifiers, subtract eleven from odd ability scores and ten from even ability scores. A race receives every benefit of its type and any subtypes it may have, as well as any abilities the monster may have. According the Fiend Folio, they are Monstrous Humanoids with the Reptilian subtype, and unless the update document changed it, have no Level Adjustment but three Racial Hit Dice. Its ability score modifiers are Strength +8, and Dexterity, Constitution, and Intelligence +2. It gains 2+Intelligence modifier skill points per level of Monstrous Humanoid, with four times that result at first level, as well as +1 Fortitude and Will Save bonus and +3 Reflex save bonus. It also has Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Omg I love you. For future reference, where do I find these rules so I know what to do should I want to play something else?

Jurai
2015-04-13, 05:35 PM
Hmm... Ignore the skill points multiplier. I pulled this information from the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Desiani
2015-04-13, 06:11 PM
Thanks! I am assuming thia is the first MM?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-13, 06:23 PM

Important note: if there is no Level Adjustment given (an LA of -- instead of +0), then you will likely have to work with your DM to determine what LA is appropriate. The LA of -- implies that the race was not intended for player use, and does not equate to an LA of +0. A Level Adjustment for player use may be required.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-13, 06:29 PM
Found the Khaasta's 3.5 update: 3.5 Fiend Folio

Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian, Extraplanar)

+8 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+4 Constitution
+2 Intelligence

+6 Natural Armor

Darkvision 60ft

Bite natural attack (1d4 / x2)

3 level of Monstrous Humanoid, with the associated benefits

Languages: Draconic
Favored Class: Fighter

Level Adjustment: +3 (which seems a bit high)

Urpriest
2015-04-13, 07:08 PM
For general guidelines on how to play monster characters, see the handbook in my sig.

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 08:27 PM
Found the Khaasta's 3.5 update: 3.5 Fiend Folio

Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian, Extraplanar)

+8 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+4 Constitution
+2 Intelligence

+6 Natural Armor

Darkvision 60ft

Bite natural attack (1d4 / x2)

3 level of Monstrous Humanoid, with the associated benefits

Languages: Draconic
Favored Class: Fighter

With RHD as-is, it definitely is high. It could get by with LA +1, really.

Sian
2015-04-14, 05:05 AM
LA+1 seems on the low end on the other hand ... IMHO it sits on the very low end of +2, just that inch to high to be classified as a highend +1

atemu1234
2015-04-14, 05:32 AM
LA+1 seems on the low end on the other hand ... IMHO it sits on the very low end of +2, just that inch to high to be classified as a highend +1

I'm not a RHD fan.

Yanisa
2015-04-14, 09:47 AM
I'm not a RHD fan.

Seeing as this thread is tagged pathfinder, RHD don't count in PF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races). You get get them and all the benefits, but only your LA (or CR, but that doesn't make a difference here) counts as your ECL. :smallwink:

Sian
2015-04-14, 10:06 AM
but given that we're talking 3.5 races then it becomes quite a bit more muddy, and probably in need some ammount of homebrewing

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-14, 11:41 AM
but given that we're talking 3.5 races then it becomes quite a bit more muddy, and probably in need some ammount of homebrewing

Indeed. I'm not sure I'd let one of those in at level 3 (which it would be, if you discount LA -- it would be a level 3 character with 0 class levels), if only because of the min-maxing potential of the thing.

Urpriest
2015-04-14, 12:38 PM
Indeed. I'm not sure I'd let one of those in at level 3 (which it would be, if you discount LA -- it would be a level 3 character with 0 class levels), if only because of the min-maxing potential of the thing.

That's true of monster races in PF in general, though. Presumably if you're playing with PF's monster rules then this is the sort of imbalance you don't particularly care about.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-14, 05:39 PM

Be careful of that +3. It is most likely copied straight from FF which, at random, would treat LA as RHD+LA or LA, no RHD. Khaasta, which has a "khaasta characters" section makes it clear the FF's +3 refers to RHD only. Show this to your DM before he thinks their ECL is supposed to be 6. (This is one of the only, if not the only, time I have seen a race with RHD and no LA. Don't let them lose this claim to fame [I have also had khaastas in my game and they work fine]).

icefractal
2015-04-14, 06:27 PM
For 3.5, I'd peg either 3 RHD (no LA) or 1 RHD + 1 LA as about appropriate, given their stats.

In Pathfinder though, ECL = CR, full stop, which means that for certain creatures you can have more HD than your ECL. More balanced than the 3.5 method, on average, but there are some that end up stronger than their supposed level.