PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Converting 3.5/PF Prestige Classes to 5e Feats

eleazzaar
2015-04-13, 06:41 PM
In some beta text versions of 5e, "Arcane Archer" was a feat that allowed you to imbue an arrow with a spell. It was later dropped, but it raises an interesting point... Can you pack the good core features of an old PrC into a 5e feat? Theoretically you should be able to- feats are pretty strong in 5e, and often have a few connected features. They also have the advantage of not being tied to a single class, like archetypes are.

But i haven't seen any home-brew feats.

Has anybody tried this? Does anybody think they succeeded?

Please share your feats here, or your thoughts on the subject of PrC-Feats.

BRKNdevil
2015-04-14, 12:05 AM
My Arcane Archer Feat

http://www.enworld.org/forum/5efeats/showentry.php?e=58&catid=1

My Mage of the Arcane Order Feat

http://www.enworld.org/forum/5efeats/showentry.php?e=59&catid=1

Both need review if possible

Flashy
2015-04-14, 12:48 AM
I'm exceptionally dubious about allowing arcane archer to only trigger the cast on a hit. A cleric with the arcane archer feat could use every single spell slot for inflict wounds with absolute certainty that every single one would hit a target. That's absurd damage with absurd reliability. I'd much rather the spell was discharged on a miss, since that's what normally happens. I also think it's in desperate need of a rider preventing it from working with cantrips. Arcane archer + shocking grasp yields devastating and consistent damage, especially in the early levels. It's arguably better than hunter's mark, and could be combined with elemental bane for an alarming synergy.

EDIT: This feat would actually be extremely difficult to use. At early levels there are no options beyond shocking grasp and inflict wounds. I went through the spell lists for all the touch range spells I could imagine someone would want to cast with a ranged weapon attack. This is what I found: Inflict Wounds, Bestow Curse, Contagion, Light (maybe), Plane Shift, Shocking Grasp, Simulacrum (sort of), and Beast bond (usage is iffy). Everything else with the touch range is a buff, a heal or an effect you cast on a location rather than a creature.

PotatoGolem
2015-04-14, 08:28 AM
I'd definitely limit Mage of the Arcane Order to level 5 or below spells. Only having a few of the higher-level spells per day is what really balances them.

Amnoriath
2015-04-14, 09:26 AM
Now this has been brought up I will bring up an Exotic Weapons Master feat soon.

Ralanr
2015-04-14, 09:40 AM
Now this has been brought up I will bring up an Exotic Weapons Master feat soon.

Considering how few times classes can get feats (Fighters only get two more than everyone else except rogue, who only gets one more) any feat that deals with exotic weapons (which don't really exist) should just fall under the weapon master feat.

Actually the Weapon Master feat already works with that. Doesn't specify the weapon type, just says "any four"

BRKNdevil
2015-04-14, 01:52 PM
I'm exceptionally dubious about allowing arcane archer to only trigger the cast on a hit. A cleric with the arcane archer feat could use every single spell slot for inflict wounds with absolute certainty that every single one would hit a target. That's absurd damage with absurd reliability. I'd much rather the spell was discharged on a miss, since that's what normally happens. I also think it's in desperate need of a rider preventing it from working with cantrips. Arcane archer + shocking grasp yields devastating and consistent damage, especially in the early levels. It's arguably better than hunter's mark, and could be combined with elemental bane for an alarming synergy.

EDIT: This feat would actually be extremely difficult to use. At early levels there are no options beyond shocking grasp and inflict wounds. I went through the spell lists for all the touch range spells I could imagine someone would want to cast with a ranged weapon attack. This is what I found: Inflict Wounds, Bestow Curse, Contagion, Light (maybe), Plane Shift, Shocking Grasp, Simulacrum (sort of), and Beast bond (usage is iffy). Everything else with the touch range is a buff, a heal or an effect you cast on a location rather than a creature.

K, so something like enchant a single piece of ammo, it misses, you failed. I dunno about the rider about cantrips though for the same reason you put down and edit. And if this single feature is iffy, then the entire idea as a subclass is really iffy. Perhaps though, the damage from the weapon should be an option instead of a always thing. That way curative and buff stuff would be able to be used.

I'd definitely limit Mage of the Arcane Order to level 5 or below spells. Only having a few of the higher-level spells per day is what really balances them.

Ok, I'll Edit that later when i have more time outside of classes.

Considering how few times classes can get feats (Fighters only get two more than everyone else except rogue, who only gets one more) any feat that deals with exotic weapons (which don't really exist) should just fall under the weapon master feat.

Actually the Weapon Master feat already works with that. Doesn't specify the weapon type, just says "any four"

The Penetrator from Saints Row is my Exotic Weapon

Amnoriath
2015-04-14, 03:06 PM

Yes, which is why this feat is not only emulating the PrC itself but will bring "Theater of Mind" into more mechanics by making Exotic Weapons more of a unique and distinct custom weapon. Weapon Master is for those common weapons and is rather lackluster.

Ralanr
2015-04-14, 03:16 PM
Yes, which is why this feat is not only emulating the PrC itself but will bring "Theater of Mind" into more mechanics by making Exotic Weapons more of a unique and distinct custom weapon. Weapon Master is for those common weapons and is rather lackluster.

"You gain proficiency with four weapons of your choice." So the feat would apply to exotic weapons. Unless you decide to change it to "Only martial and simple weapons" which honestly makes the feat more likely to not be picked. Putting a separate feat for the usage of specific weapons seems cruel since someone would have to waste a feat to use that weapon group (Hell, even classes that can't use martial weapons can multiclass into a class that can to learn them). Weapon master works just fine for exotic weapons. If anything, adding exotic weapons would make weapon master less lackluster.

Amnoriath
2015-04-14, 03:40 PM
"You gain proficiency with four weapons of your choice." So the feat would apply to exotic weapons. Unless you decide to change it to "Only martial and simple weapons" which honestly makes the feat more likely to not be picked. Putting a separate feat for the usage of specific weapons seems cruel since someone would have to waste a feat to use that weapon group (Hell, even classes that can't use martial weapons can multiclass into a class that can to learn them). Weapon master works just fine for exotic weapons. If anything, adding exotic weapons would make weapon master less lackluster.

You really didn't read what I said did you? The point isn't to make a series of esoteric weapons which may or may not be common to certain regions or campaigns but to have a feat in which the hero has a weapon so distinct that literally only they can wield right. Mechanically it is a custom weapon which can do things that would normally require a subclass to do simply because of its unique design and way of wielding it.

Ralanr
2015-04-14, 03:53 PM
You really didn't read what I said did you? The point isn't to make a series of esoteric weapons which may or may not be common to certain regions or campaigns but to have a feat in which the hero has a weapon so distinct that literally only they can wield right. Mechanically it is a custom weapon which can do things that would normally require a subclass to do simply because of its unique design and way of wielding it.

So a feat that makes the player and DM homebrew a special weapon?

eleazzaar
2015-04-14, 04:42 PM
Here's my first Prestige Feat, Nature's Drift (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UeVn4tVNP0L1qnzQldsRpDjNwooGDsqNKu8RfDZaSTA/edit?usp=sharing), inspired by the "Drift" feature of the 3.5 Geomancer.

weaseldust
2015-04-14, 09:14 PM
Instead of a feat that lets you enchant arrows, why not make a kind of Lesser Contingency spell? Enchanting an arrow is pretty much like using Contingency except that the condition that triggers the spell has to be the arrow hitting something.

Say the spell works like Contingency, but you can only cast it on ammunition, it only lasts for up to a minute, you can only bind a spell that affects a single target or produces an effect centred at a point, and the condition can only be one of: it strikes any creature, or it strikes any surface, or it strikes a specified creature or a member of a specified group of creatures, or it strikes a point in a specified area. What level would that spell have to be? Could you make it as low as 2nd level, bearing in mind the restriction, inherited from Contingency, that it has to be cast in a slot at least one level higher than the spell being bound? The trouble is that if it is higher than 2nd level it won't be available to Eldritch Knights until high levels, and they are kind of the obvious customer base for the spell.

Amnoriath
2015-04-14, 11:07 PM
So a feat that makes the player and DM homebrew a special weapon?

For the most part I will probably add one other thing to mimic a couple of the tricks.

Ralanr
2015-04-15, 12:42 AM
For the most part I will probably add one other thing to mimic a couple of the tricks.

Hopefully that will help it be more interesting. A feat for a single exotic weapon seems...off.

Amnoriath
2015-04-15, 08:47 AM
Hopefully that will help it be more interesting. A feat for a single exotic weapon seems...off.

Well I wouldn't be doing a good job for this forum if that was all because the EWM was defined by its eclectic tricks. I just focused on that aspect since they don't exist in the system so that they could make their own with in the mechanics. This also allows people to take up characters with more fantastical weapons of design and technique rather than just magic

Kidbuu51
2015-04-19, 05:44 PM
With this in mind how would one do a PRC as a feat such as a shadowbane inquisitor from comp adventurer

eleazzaar
2015-04-19, 10:45 PM
With this in mind how would one do a PRC as a feat such as a shadowbane inquisitor from comp adventurer

I dunno, it depends on what you consider the interesting part. Nothing jumps out at me thematically that you couldn't get with some kind of (Cleric and/or Paladin)/Rogue multiclass.

Amnoriath
2015-04-23, 04:32 PM
Sorry it has been a while but when looking at the old Complete Warrior there are a lot of PrC's that could be made into feats so I made a couple of others.

Exotic Armsman

Prerequisites: Must be proficient in Simple Weapons

You become proficient with an Exotic weapon. An Exotic weapon is a signature of your that you have personally perfected in mastering whether it be a custom weapon, a relic of a forgotten age, or otherwise. In order to know the statistics you may select any simple or martial weapon as a base. If it has the Versatile or Finesse property you may exchange for the other instead. If you have selected a martial weapon you may select from two abilities below, but if you selected a simple weapon you may select three. They may only be selected once. If you have the Extra Attack feature you may choose another feature below in which you change after a long rest. Alternatively you can choose to collaborate with your DM to make a weapon between yourselves but it should be with in the same parameters as the former.

When you would make a critical hit with your Exotic weapon the next attack you make is made with advantage.

When you would wield a one-handed Exotic melee weapon in two hands it may be treated as a Heavy weapon when it is beneficial.

You may increase the damage die of your Exotic weapon by one step. If it is already a d12 than whenever you would roll a 1 or 2 for damage you may consider it a 3.

While wielding your Exotic weapon you add 1 to your AC. This doesn't stack with itself.

An Exotic weapon that isn't Light may have the Reach property if it didn't already. If it does already it increases the range by another 5 feet.

If you make an attack with your Exotic weapon against a creature up to one size larger than yourself as a bonus action you can make an attack roll against their Athletics check. If you win they are rendered prone.

If you make an attack with your Exotic weapon against a creature as a bonus action you can make an attack roll against their Athletics check. If you win they lose an unsecure item of your choice.

When wielding a heavy Exotic weapon you may consider your self one size larger when making Athletics checks to push or drag an opponent with it. Additionally if you succeed in making an attack against a creature is within one size category as a bonus action you can move them 10 feet in a direction of your choice.

You can throw your Exotic weapon with a range of 20/60 feet. If the original already could be thrown the weapon returns to you after it resolves its attack and ignores half as well as three quarters cover.

You may consider an Exotic weapon to be a monk weapon. If it is already a monk weapon than it may be considered an unarmed strike when it is beneficial.

Any Exotic weapon that doesn't require ammunition may deal bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage chosen before each attack.

A light Exotic weapon may be treated as one size smaller whenever it is beneficial. Additionally if drawn against an enemy that either doesn't see you or doesn't suspect you to have a weapon if the first attack hits you may roll the weapon damage die again adding the result to the damage roll.

Kensai

Prerequisites: Must have the Extra Attack feature and have used the weapon for this feat for at least 1 level before selecting this feat.

You may select one weapon that has qualified for this to be your Signature weapon. Your Signature weapon may be considered magical in every way. Additionally if you would miss with your Signature weapon as a bonus action you may reroll the attack taking the second result.

Your Signature weapon may succeed in making a critical when rolling a 19 or 20.

You may attune to your Signature Weapon gaining a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls as well as ability checks made with it. It also can't be forcibly taken away and as a reaction you can direct any effect that would specifically target it to target you instead as an object. When you would do so you have advantage on the save or the attack has disadvantage. At levels 11 and 17 the bonuses increase by 1.

When you would make an attack with your Signature weapon you may declare it to be a Power surge. If the attack is successful it deals 2d8 an extra damage of the same kind as the weapon. The damage increases by 1d8 at levels 11 and 17. Additionally you may have advantage on any one save or ability check before the roll is made within the next minute. Once this is used you must complete a short or long rest to use it again.

Hulking Hurler

Prerequisites: Must be proficient in Athletics checks, Str 15

Your Strength score is treated as 10 higher for the purposes of carrying capacity, pushing, lifting, or dragging.

You can't be encumbered unless you exceed your normal maximum capacity in which then you can only be encumbered if you exceed your normal capacity. As such you can carry up to your pushing capacity.

As an action you can throw an object you are carrying that weighs 100 lbs or more. If you possess the Extra attack feature you may use one of your attacks instead. You may select a 5 feet square with in 30 feet of you in which the center of the object will land. Creatures in that area take 1d10+1d10/100 lbs of the object+Str. modifier in bludgeoning damage. They are allowed a Dexterity save equal to 8+prof. bonus+str. modifier for half damage If the object is creature you must make Athletics checks as normal to keep it grappled and they must make a Dexterity save and fall prone as well . If they were willing no damage is ever rolled.

eleazzaar
2015-04-23, 11:04 PM
The Kensai interests me in particular, I can see a lot of players wanting something like this...

Additionally if you would miss with your Signature weapon as a bonus action you may reroll the attack taking the second result.
This seems really strong, though i supposes it depends on if you have a build that uses lots of bonus actions or not.

It also can't be forcibly taken away and as a reaction you can direct any effect that would specifically target it to target you instead as an object. When you would do so you have advantage on the save or the attack has disadvantage

It kinda make the special effect connected with trying to take it away redundant if it is bound to fail anyway. I'd make it possible to take away, and explain what it takes to bond or rebond with a weapon.

At levels 11 and 17 the bonuses increase by 1.

It is ambiguous what this refers to, the can't-steal effect or the attack bonus?

Ki surge
It would probably be best to rename so as not to confuse with Monk's Ki.

Amnoriath
2015-04-23, 11:31 PM
The Kensai interests me in particular, I can see a lot of players wanting something like this...

This seems really strong, though i supposes it depends on if you have a build that uses lots of bonus actions or not.

It kinda make the special effect connected with trying to take it away redundant if it is bound to fail anyway. I'd make it possible to take away, and explain what it takes to bond or rebond with a weapon.

It is ambiguous what this refers to, the can't-steal effect or the attack bonus?

It would probably be best to rename so as not to confuse with Monk's Ki.

1. There are so many ways to get bonus action attacks, many of which are consistent. So being able to reroll a missed attack really is only beneficial to the heavier hits or additional effects to not waste them as much since it really doesn't increase damage potential.
2. It really isn't for that considering that many disarm attempts could easily be Athletics checks against you to force your arms to let go. It is intended for things like Heat Metal or attacking it directly..etc.
3. The can't steal effect is a specific immunity so the bonuses go towards the attack and ability checks made with the weapon.
4. Ah, my bad it is suppose to Power Surge like the original feature.