PDA

View Full Version : weapons

LairdMaon
2015-04-13, 07:48 PM
Can a light weapon be altered to become a two handed weapon?
And how?

Eloel
2015-04-13, 08:12 PM
Become smaller.

LairdMaon
2015-04-13, 08:13 PM
Heh, I'll actually trying to go the other way around.

Edit: Your answer, while not exactly what I was looking for, provided me the clue to finding what I was looking for. Thank you!

WeaselGuy
2015-04-14, 07:32 AM
Now I'm curious as to what you need a 2 handed light weapon for... off the top of my head, a few options came to mind though:

The Elven Courtblade, is a 2 handed weapon that can be finessed
Same for the Spiked Chain
I RAWed a finessable Lance too. Since a lance can be wielded as a 1 handed weapon while mounted, and a 1 handed fey craft weapon is considered a finessable weapon, my lancer used a Medium Fey-craft Lance and wore Strongarm bracers (allowing you to wield weapons of one size category larger than normal) to maintain the same damage die as a normal small lance.

Rubik
2015-04-14, 07:36 AM
Savage Species states that any masterwork weapon can be created for use with one or more extra hands for no extra charge, so you should be able to create a light weapon for two hands.

atemu1234
2015-04-14, 10:21 AM
Savage Species states that any masterwork weapon can be created for use with one or more extra hands for no extra charge, so you should be able to create a light weapon for two hands.

This sounds like a fun option.

Ferronach
2015-04-14, 10:23 AM
I take it you are planning to monkey grip a larger weapon in your off hand as a TWF sort of build?
There is also a feat called oversized 2 weapon fighting which will help you out iirc.

Rubik
2015-04-14, 12:44 PM
I take it you are planning to monkey grip a larger weapon in your off hand as a TWF sort of build?
There is also a feat called oversized 2 weapon fighting which will help you out iirc.Don't waste the feat. There's a pair of inexpensive bracers in the MIC (strongarm bracers, 6,000 gp) which allows you to do this. Just add it on to whatever other items you've got on your forearms for a 50% markup, and you're gravy.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 12:57 PM
It's actually far simpler, LOL.

Crescent knife
Bumped up to huge size becomes a 'Bat'leth' for a medium creature. Now I'd that medium creature happens to be a duskblade...

Rubik
2015-04-14, 01:13 PM
It's actually far simpler, LOL.

Crescent knife
Bumped up to huge size becomes a 'Bat'leth' for a medium creature. Now I'd that medium creature happens to be a duskblade...I believe you'll take a major penalty for wielding an inappropriately sized weapon, if you can even wield one at all, given that it's four size categories larger than you're supposed to be able to wield.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 01:21 PM
A light weapon at huge size is a two handed weapon for a medium creature, or so it goes according to phb.

"For instance, a Small greatsword (a two-handed weapon for a Small creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a light weapon for a Large creature. Conversely, a Large dagger (a light weapon for a Large creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a two-handed weapon for a Small creature."

Thus, medium light weapon grows two steps to become a huge light weapon which counts as a two handed weapon for the original medium creature.

Eloel
2015-04-14, 01:23 PM
A light weapon at huge size is a two handed weapon for a medium creature, or so it goes according to phb.

Only in 3e. It's usually assumed that questions here are 3.5e, unless stated otherwise.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 01:27 PM
Negatory on that, my friend. I just pulled that bit there straight out of the PHB v3.5.

Page 113
Topic: Size category
4th paragraph

Rubik
2015-04-14, 01:36 PM
Negatory on that, my friend. I just pulled that bit there straight out of the PHB v3.5.

Page 113
Topic: Size category
4th paragraphYou mean the same section where it says:

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.?

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 01:46 PM
That is exactly correct.

And seeing as the weapon in question retains one of those designations, all is perfectly good.

Rubik
2015-04-14, 01:49 PM
That is exactly correct.

And seeing as the weapon in question retains one of those designations, all is perfectly good.Err...

It goes Medium -> Large -> Huge -> Gargantuan -> Colossal.

That's four size categories.

Which means it goes Light -> One-Handed -> Two-Handed -> Unwieldable -> Unwieldable.

The best you can do is a Huge batleth crescent knife, at a -4 penalty. With the bracers, you can wield a Gargantuan one at the same penalty.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 01:54 PM
Two size categories.
Watch.

It goes Medium(light) -> Large(one handed) -> Huge(two handed)
Bigger than that it's no good at all.

Thus a Huge category Light weapon is the equivalent of a Medium category Two Handed weapon.

Rubik
2015-04-14, 02:03 PM
Two size categories.
Watch.

It goes Medium(light) -> Large(one handed) -> Huge(two handed)
Bigger than that it's no good at all.

Thus a Huge category Light weapon is the equivalent of a Medium category Two Handed weapon.I reread what you originally wrote, and you are correct. I read it as "Colossal" for some reason, but no, you said Huge.

My apologies.

Still, you could wield a Gargantuan one with the strongarm bracers, still at a -4 penalty.

I don't think it's WORTH it, however, unless you A.) stack more size increases, and B.) have a high to-hit to make up the difference.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 02:10 PM
Bah, no apologies necessary ��

I just want the good power attack bonus with the crescent knife. Maybe a channeled spell or two... Yum!

Anyway, the damage as a two handed weapon is 1d6 for the crescent knife. The next step up would be 1d8. For a -4 penalty to hit? I say NAY NAY!
LOL

Rubik
2015-04-14, 02:16 PM
Bah, no apologies necessary ��

I just want the good power attack bonus with the crescent knife. Maybe a channeled spell or two... Yum!

Anyway, the damage as a two handed weapon is 1d6 for the crescent knife. The next step up would be 1d8. For a -4 penalty to hit? I say NAY NAY!
LOLYour best bet with a crescent knife is to make it 2-handed masterwork according to the process in Savage Species, procure a warforged mighty arms graft (2 arms for 1,000 gp, Magic of Eberron, I believe), and multi-wield a pair of 2-handers using Power Attack.

If you can add two levels of swordsage with Assassin's Stance and the Shadow Blade and Craven feats, do it.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 02:24 PM
Mighty arms graft to gain arms? I have read that graft to replace arms... That does make an entertaining image though

Rubik
2015-04-14, 02:52 PM
Mighty arms graft to gain arms? I have read that graft to replace arms... That does make an entertaining image thoughThe graft just says that you gain the graft, but it doesn't say anything about replacing. Anywhere. At all. I've checked.

And what the picture shows is immaterial. Maybe the guy lost his arms; it still doesn't preclude adding another pair.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 03:24 PM
Oh.

... Oh.

Oh my dice!

That's quite amazing!

Um...
Can a warforged get that graft? LOL

torrasque666
2015-04-14, 08:31 PM
The graft just says that you gain the graft, but it doesn't say anything about replacing. Anywhere. At all. I've checked.

And what the picture shows is immaterial. Maybe the guy lost his arms; it still doesn't preclude adding another pair.
Only if you consider the description section "fluff", where it mentions "They are much larger and bulkier-looking than your original arms." which implies replacement.

Oh.

... Oh.

Oh my dice!

That's quite amazing!

Um...
Can a warforged get that graft? LOL
Technically, yes. Actually, in the rules regarding grafting from a few pages prior (Faiths of Eberron, page 156) it mentions Adamantine Body stacking with the DR granted by construct grafts.

Rubik
2015-04-14, 08:34 PM
Only if you consider the description section "fluff", where it mentions "They are much larger and bulkier-looking than your original arms." which implies replacement.How, exactly? Your original arms are still there. These are just buffer than they are.

torrasque666
2015-04-14, 08:37 PM
How, exactly? Your original arms are still there. These are just buffer than they are.
if it didn't imply replacement, why not just say "other arms" instead?

General Sajaru
2015-04-14, 08:43 PM
RAI is replacement; RAW is addition...

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 08:47 PM
There is a hard limit of 5 construct grafts per person. Says nothing about getting plural of one graft.

So warforged with 5 mighty arms grafts?

torrasque666
2015-04-14, 08:50 PM
There is a hard limit of 5 construct grafts per person. Says nothing about getting plural of one graft.

So warforged with 5 mighty arms grafts?

Kinda does with the next line of "No portion of the body (head, skin, flesh, arms, and legs) can have more than one graft."

Rubik
2015-04-14, 08:53 PM
if it didn't imply replacement, why not just say "other arms" instead?Your "other arms" are your "original arms." The latter works whether they're replaced or added. The former only works if they're added, but not if they're replaced.

LairdMaon
2015-04-14, 08:56 PM
Good catch, I missed that.