PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Ghostly Spirit Shaman

Twice
2015-04-13, 08:32 PM
Hello, Twice here.

As the title might suggest, I'm personally considering playing a Spirit Shaman. The class seemed like a class with interesting fluff, so after a bit of discussion with my DM, we agreed upon the idea that I could play a spirit shaman ghost using savage progressions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a)! This gives me a LA of +1 and give me undead properties and I technically count as a ghost when it comes to PrCs.

Naturally, with this amount of flexibility it's gotten a little complicated for me. I am personally unsure what direction to take when it comes prestige classes, though I can share some my definite plans. I plan to take Spirit Shaman all the way to 11 to be helpful to the party when it comes to revival. While power is important, fluff also has bit of weight because I'd like to build an interesting background for him or her. I haven't selected my personal race yet, but human seems like a likely choice. Lastly, I will be taking the Dynamic Priest feat and I'm considering a dip in Mystic Wanderer.

If given these options, what sort of direction would you personally go for? I feel like this character could be really interesting! The limitations? No AD&D, Dragon Magazine, or Psionics.

As earlier might suggest, dragon compendium is okay.

OttoVonBigby
2015-04-14, 09:46 AM
In my experience, spirit shaman is fine to stick with through levels 15-16, in terms of playability. IIRC wonder worker is a good dip around there.

Since you're a ghost, the variety of "spirit" with which you commune for your abilities is probably incorporeal undead (as you may have assumed), which may in turn mean that you end up combating more incorporeal undead, and maybe undead generally, than any other single enemy type--depending on the degree to which the DM's plans revolve around PC backstory. So that may influence PrC/feat/etc. choices.

atemu1234
2015-04-14, 10:18 AM
Maybe levels of Rainbow Servant? Once you reach the capstone, your spell list gets far better.

The Viscount
2015-04-14, 03:50 PM
A few levels in Ruathar will open up a lot of options for you in terms of PrCs, since it grants you knowledge (religion), a requirement for many divine spellcasting classes.

Twice
2015-04-14, 10:54 PM
Ironically, I ended up not playing the character due to limitation made obvious by my DM. Thanks for the responses though. :smallsmile: