PDA

View Full Version : Hexcrafter Magus build help

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 09:21 PM
I am currently meddling with my Hexcrafter Magus build. I am having a bit of trouble justifying one component of the build and this due to not having a clear idea of what the benefit of it would be.

Human Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus 4

Str: 12
Dex: 16
Con: 12
Int: 19
Wis: 10
Cha: 7

Traits: Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp), Pragmatic Activator
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Scimitar), Dervish Dance
Hex: Prehensile Hair

What I am currently having problems with is justifying the use of Prehensile Hair in my build. I absolutely love the flavor and may just stick with it because it'd be fun to RP. Other than the RP value what else could it be useful for? I had someone point out that I could Spell Combat and hit with my Black Blade Scimitar and then afterward cast a touch spell and deliver it with my beard/nose hair/mustache but I see no difference in just delivering it with your offhand if you're in combat that close. I am assuming I do not actually get a damage attack with my hair during a simple touch spell delivery.

What uses could this Hex have outside of the simple example I gave above?

Snowbluff
2015-04-13, 09:24 PM
You're right, it is hard to justify. That's why I never made a Shantae build.

Elric VIII
2015-04-13, 09:34 PM
Well, if you decided to make your primary weapon a whip, then you've got a 10 ft reach with both your touch attack and normal melee attack. You'd have to fit EWP (whip) and whip masery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/whip-mastery-combat) into your build to be able to damage armored targets. You can easily exchange dervish dance for slashing grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/slashing-grace-combat). Lunge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lunge-combat---final) could work, as well.

It can be used as part of your attack routine with the natural spell combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/natural-spell-combat-ex) arcana in order to get a second chance at your touch spell (or another hit with chilling touch) for a touch spell/scimitar/hair attack routine with the potential of letting your hair discharge the spell if you miss. This also goes well with arcane deed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/arcane-deed-ex) and precise strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/swashbuckler#TOC-Precise-Strike-Ex-). NVM that last part, that explicitly does not work with natural attacks.

You could also use your hair to wield wands. Since you have pragmatic activator, I assume you intend to UMD. This gives you a free "hand." You'd have to ask your DM what type of action it is to retrieve a wand with your extra limb, since I don't know of any rule about this.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-04-13, 09:50 PM
Magus gets screwed over by PF's change to how metamagic rods work. It needs to be held to use now, and Magus's spell combat requires his other hand be empty (and of course the weapon in his main hand). It's only a problem for the Magus...normal casters don't care about having weapons drawn let alone requiring a completely free hand, which makes the bs especially cruel since Magus is weaker than even most of the 6-level casters.

So prehensile hair is a way to hold your metamagic rod and still do your magus thing. The thing is..you could just be a Tiefling -- already the best Magus race -- and take the prehensile tail variant and be all set anyway.

It's still decent...it's an int-based weapon and thus nice if int is your highest stat. Also, as long as you have no other natural weapons and fight with it alone, it gets 1.5x Int to damage, which is nice (again, Tiefling spoils things....Maw or Claw variant is very nice to tack on a bite to your full attack). Finally...it has 10 ft reach, so you can use it to safely deliver touch spells if the concentration check is looking dicey.

I'd definitely take Slumber and Flight first, but it's not bad as your 3rd hex. Though usually w/ the nice arcana options, by the time you have room to fit another hex in (via feat or class progression), you have major hexes unlocked and better options, like Ice Tomb (unless they finally nerfed it) or Retribution.

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 10:04 PM
The whip idea sounds very sexy. I am assuming the Whip would qualify as a black blade as well since it is a 1-handed slashing weapon.

I am assuming it would look something like this:

Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus 4

Str: 12
Dex: 16
Con: 12
Int: 19
Wis: 10
Cha: 7

Traits: Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp), Pragmatic Activator
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip), Weapon Focus (Whip)
Hex: Prehensile Hair

and use this as I continue to level up...eventually grabbing Slashing Grace and Whip Mastery.

I could effectively use my whip as a trip/disarm tool for the duration of grabbing those feats, correct? And use my hair/touch spells as damage output?

By 9th level I could have feats look like this.

Feats: Weapon Finesse, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip), Weapon Focus (Whip), Whip Mastery, Slashing Grace, Intensify Spell (Shocking Grasp)
Hexes: Prehensile Hair, X

Also, are Scorpion Whips PFS legal? Can they be used as a black blade as well than?

Elric VIII
2015-04-13, 10:23 PM
Well, while researching stuff for a whip character, I came across this (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2oi02&page=22?Additional-Resources-Updates#1051). It seems that the UC whip is being thrown out. However, it is still unclear to me if weapon finesse works on the scorpion whip as presented here. If it does, that would be a nice way to bypass the need for whip mastery in exchange for less abilities (that you wouldn't use anyway).

EDIT: nevermind, here (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8dmf/discuss&page=4?Pathfinder-Player-Companion-Adventurers-Armory#159) is a developer post that says "A scorpion whip uses the same rules as the whip in the PFRPG Core Rulebook, except (1) it deals lethal damage, even to creatures with armor bonuses, and (2) the stats in the table."

So looks like it's 100% better for what you want. And yes, it can be a black blade.

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 10:32 PM
If I am able to take a Scorpion Whip I would definitely remove Whip Mastery and insert something a bit better (Slashing Grace).

I am currently assuming the order for attacks at this would be as listed below (assuming Scorpion Whip is legal)

Round 1: Activate Prehensile Hair

Round 2: Spell Combat = Whip Attack -2 (1d4+3) + Touch Spell (Shocking Grasp)[Spellstrike] > Delivery Attack = Hair Attack (1d3 + 6) + Shocking Grasp (4d6 + 6)

Let me know if I got the numbers a bit wrong and if the hair attack is not involved with spellstrike.

Assuming this is correct does it seem adequate for a character of this level (I am still fairly new to Pathfinder)? I don't care if I am completely min/maxed. I just want a fun character with nice flavor to mess around with in my PFS games. I don't want to hold back my party though.

Elric VIII
2015-04-13, 11:41 PM
That looks correct, although remember that all of your attacks take that -2 for spell combat, it's basically like TWF. I know for a fact that in 3.5 you can replace the free touch attack from a spell with a normal melee attack using a natural weapon. I assume this is the case for pathfinder, but I would double check that.

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 11:47 PM
That looks correct, although remember that all of your attacks take that -2 for spell combat, it's basically like TWF. I know for a fact that in 3.5 you can replace the free touch attack from a spell with a normal melee attack using a natural weapon. I assume this is the case for pathfinder, but I would double check that.

Ah alright. Thank you!

The touch attack takes the -2 as well? Though it is targeting the Touch AC of the creature I am hitting.

Elric VIII
2015-04-13, 11:53 PM
Ah alright. Thank you!

The touch attack takes the -2 as well? Though it is targeting the Touch AC of the creature I am hitting.

It does, but if you're using your hair to deliver the spell as a melee attack (i.e. dealing damage with the hair) it does not use touch AC, it uses normal AC. If you look at natural spell combat, above, you will be able to touch attack with the hair to deliver the spell, then take manufactured attacks, then attack with your hair as a natural weapon (potentially discharging the spell if you botched the touch attack).

You can, however, simply use the hair to deliver the spell as a touch attack.

Neverethe
2015-04-13, 11:56 PM
It does, but if you're using your hair to deliver the spell as a melee attack (i.e. dealing damage with the hair) it does not use touch AC, it uses normal AC. If you look at natural spell combat, above, you will be able to touch attack with the hair to deliver the spell, then take manufactured attacks, then attack with your hair as a natural weapon (potentially discharging the spell if you botched the touch attack).

You can, however, simply use the hair to deliver the spell as a touch attack.

It looks like Natural Spell Combat is not allowed in PFS. Oh well! Thanks for all the info Elric!

Elric VIII
2015-04-14, 12:01 AM
It looks like Natural Spell Combat is not allowed in PFS. Oh well! Thanks for all the info Elric!

Happy to help.

Dysart
2015-04-14, 12:42 AM
Slight issue with the build, you don't have an "Arcana" slot to spend on a Hex so technically you can't have Prehensile Hair until level 6.

Unless someone can confirm differently you can't take the "Extra Hex" or "Extra Arcana" until you actually have one and the Black Blade variant removes the one you get at level 3.

Neverethe
2015-04-14, 12:52 AM
Slight issue with the build, you don't have an "Arcana" slot to spend on a Hex so technically you can't have Prehensile Hair until level 6.

Unless someone can confirm differently you can't take the "Extra Hex" or "Extra Arcana" until you actually have one and the Black Blade variant removes the one you get at level 3.

You are correct about not being able to have it at level 3 but you get a Hex at level 4. As the original hex is replaces Spell Recall.

At 4th level, the hexcrafter magus gains access to a small number of witch’s hexes. The hexcrafter magus picks one hex from the witch’s hex class feature. He gains the benefit of or uses that hex as if he were a witch of a level equal to his magus level.

Psyren
2015-04-14, 09:06 AM
If I am able to take a Scorpion Whip I would definitely remove Whip Mastery and insert something a bit better (Slashing Grace).

Either way you end up spending two feats though. To unlock the Scorpion Whip's reach, trip and disarm abilities, you need to be proficient with a regular whip. So either you are picking up EWP: Whip + EWP: Scorpion Whip, or you're picking up EWP: Whip and Whip Mastery.

Kurald Galain
2015-04-14, 09:23 AM
The thing is, you go through quite a lot of trouble to be able to cast Shocking Grasp at a target 10' or 15' away...

...but you could just cast Snowball instead. Ranged touch for 1d6 per level, no spell resistance, add ML and intensify to taste.

I've tried making a whip magus several times, but the huge feat cost just isn't worth the loss of your crit range.

Psyren
2015-04-14, 09:34 AM
The crit range does suck, but 15ft. reach that can still attack adjacent is hard to beat.

You can use a Hobgoblin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-hobgoblin) for free whip proficiency (Pit Boss racial), or a Beastmaster Half-Orc, or of course you can be human; all three races can have great whip magus stats. Fluffwise hobgoblins hate arcane magic, but you can always just play against type or be an Eldritch Scion.

Kurald Galain
2015-04-14, 09:42 AM
Actually, if I wanted a reach-based Magus I'd go eldritch scion (abyssal) and spam the Long Arm spell. Save several feats and retain your crit range!

Barstro
2015-04-14, 09:58 AM
"The witch can manipulate her hair a number of minutes each day equal to her level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments."

Is there some ruling that makes this other than a Standard Action? If not, the Magus wastes one round activating the hair in the first place. Turns a "meh" power into almost worthless.

Psyren
2015-04-14, 10:37 AM
Actually, if I wanted a reach-based Magus I'd go eldritch scion (abyssal) and spam the Long Arm spell. Save several feats and retain your crit range!

Long Arm works with whips and Abyssal too though, getting you 30ft. reach. Now you can spell combat Gargantuan creatures with impunity, or use Lunge to full-attack Colossals.