PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Trying to find my place in a 6 man party

Silver Raven
2015-04-13, 11:59 PM
Salutations Friends! My friends dad is running a pathfinder homebrew game.
The books that are available are:
Core
APG
ARG
UC
UM

We are starting at lvl1, and apparently we are going to be doing alot traveling to different environments such as urban, both hot & cold environments, dungeons, and even planes.

And there are six of us, I decided to fill whatever was left.

So far here's what we have so far in the party
Barbarian/Damage
Rouge/TWF
Paladin/Main Tank
Wizard/Controller
& Mystic Theurge/Cleric Bard/ Healing and enhancement

I feel like playing something with ranged combat since we already got 3 front liners. I'm sort of torn between either being a Ranger, Druid or Gunslinger. I feel like a Druid would prove useful, but I'm not sure about spell casting choices.

I'm open to any ideas.

The Grue
2015-04-14, 12:04 AM
I assume this is for Pathfinder, even though it's posted in the General subforum.

Don't feel shoehorned into picking a "role" that no one else has. World of Warcraft this is not. Pick something that sounds like you'd have fun playing, nevermind what's the most "useful" or "optimal" choice.

Geddy2112
2015-04-15, 12:12 PM
Don't feel shoehorned into picking a "role" that no one else has. World of Warcraft this is not. Pick something that sounds like you'd have fun playing, nevermind what's the most "useful" or "optimal" choice.

This. Pen and Paper RPG's are not games to be won or lost, its cooperative storytelling. It is good to have a group that synergizes well in combat, but it is not about "covering the needed bases" as much as just working together and playing your strengths.Pick whatever you think is fun, that will play nice and get along with the group. An optimized group that can't work together is not as effective or fun as a non optimized group that does.

To answer your question from a sheer mechanics and optimization view, I would go ranger or druid. All your ranged choices are wis based but gunslinger does not get magic and the natural feel.

Theodred theOld
2015-04-15, 12:14 PM
Be a druid. Buff everything. Mass snakes swiftness is your friend.

Zaq
2015-04-15, 12:26 PM
While it's true to some extent that the party is stronger overall for having all the basic roles covered, it sounds like the party you've described already has that pretty much taken care of. You can probably play pretty much whatever you want, since they've got all the main party niches more or less covered.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-15, 12:39 PM
If all the bases are covered, play the most fun character concept you have ever dreamed up.

"Useful to the party" is mostly covered, so play something fun for you (and amusing/interesting/challenging to the other players at the table). You know, that character you wanted to try a few years ago, before it was clear that nobody else was going to be the healer and so you had to play the cleric.

IF you don't have one of those, then it seems you have license to play whatever character you now think would be fun to play.

Or, you know, be a druid. Be the "utility" player who can fill whatever role most needs filling today.

Or, if you are considering ranged attacks, you might consider being a blaster sorcerer (or sorcerer/incantatrix if that's not too cheesy for your table).

A Tad Insane
2015-04-15, 12:42 PM
Mostly what everyone else has said i.e. be who ever you want. But if you really want to fill, it doesn't seem your party has a dedicated face. Although you seem to have the brute force necessary to use the good ol' "barbarians diplomacy" of negotiating with corpses.

Necromancy
2015-04-15, 12:56 PM
After a cursory glance at the party I would recommend you play the comic relief.

Perhaps a borderline suicidal gnome alchemist? Blow up your friends for fun and profit!

How about a barbarian/bard Elvis impersonator? You could rewrite Elvis songs to be genre appropriate and sing them during combat while you smash things!

If you want to be brutally effective and model a character after your favorite WWF star, I recommend reading about monks and their grapple love!

Start here to read previous advice http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409285-Grappling-Brawler-Monk-Witch-and-how-to-put-it-together

Sewercop
2015-04-15, 01:17 PM
After a cursory glance at the party I would recommend you play the comic relief.

Perhaps a borderline suicidal gnome alchemist? Blow up your friends for fun and profit!

How about a barbarian/bard Elvis impersonator? You could rewrite Elvis songs to be genre appropriate and sing them during combat while you smash things!

If you want to be brutally effective and model a character after your favorite WWF star, I recommend reading about monks and their grapple love!

Start here to read previous advice http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409285-Grappling-Brawler-Monk-Witch-and-how-to-put-it-together

Are you serious or joking? I am struggling with it to be honest

Seharvepernfan
2015-04-15, 02:50 PM
I would go with ranger or gunsliner. The group could use a ranged combatant. A druid will make some of them feel obsolete. I would pick skills that make you an outdoorsman, like survival/handle animal/knowledge nature, etc.

Necromancy
2015-04-15, 03:09 PM
Are you serious or joking? I am struggling with it to be honest

Yes

I like muffins.

Sewercop
2015-04-15, 03:42 PM
Yes

I like muffins.

I see
http://i.imgur.com/VKaWX.gif

Necromancy
2015-04-15, 04:05 PM
If you're asking if I am the type of person who has listened to Frank Sinatra on repeat to get into character? Yes