PDA

View Full Version : Are druids the only class with fluff restrictions

Anlashok
2015-04-14, 02:57 AM
Or did I miss something?

Seems weird I can make an evil paladin or a lawful and orderly raging barbarian, but not a druid who can use a steel buckler. Especially when said druid is also using an all metal sword and possibly wearing several pieces of metal jewelry.

Giant2005
2015-04-14, 03:03 AM
Oathbreakers have a fluff restriction too.

Anlashok
2015-04-14, 03:05 AM
Oathbreakers have a fluff restriction too.

Awesome, thanks. Missed that one.

calebrus
2015-04-14, 03:14 AM
The fluff restriction for druids is just basically that they don't like to use metal, and will not use it unless there is no alternative tool that will do the job.
A sickle is used to reap crops. The "all metal sword" you're speaking of? The scimitar is basically the only thing in D&D that could be called a machete, which is used to clear overgrown woodlands. So even the exception to the fluff restrictions that don't quite seem to make sense actually make perfect sense after you think about it.

Longcat
2015-04-14, 03:21 AM
Technically speaking, you can tell the party Fighter to forcefully don Halfplate on your Druid. Expect DMs to frown on this move, though.

rollingForInit
2015-04-14, 07:50 AM
The restriction becomes even more fluff when you consider that you can just find alternate armor material. Full plate armor made from magical crystals or glass? All green for the druid.

Person_Man
2015-04-14, 08:27 AM
It's tradition/fluff, and keeps the Druid's AC 1ish point lower then everyone else (which is fine, considering all the bonus hit points they get from Wildshape).

IIRC, Ironwood and Dragonhide still exist, and if you ask about it the DM is likely to let you go on a side quest to get some.

jkat718
2015-04-14, 10:19 AM
It's tradition/fluff, and keeps the Druid's AC 1ish point lower then everyone else (which is fine, considering all the bonus hit points they get from Wildshape).

IIRC, Ironwood and Dragonhide still exist, and if you ask about it the DM is likely to let you go on a side quest to get some.

As far as magic items from the DMG go, the closest we have to Dragonhide is Dragon Scale Mail, +1 scale mail which grants damage resistance, dragon-locating powers, and advantage versus certain dragon powers. I don't see anything like Ironwood, though...

inuyasha
2015-04-14, 10:22 AM
The fluff restriction for druids is just basically that they don't like to use metal, and will not use it unless there is no alternative tool that will do the job.
A sickle is used to reap crops. The "all metal sword" you're speaking of? The scimitar is basically the only thing in D&D that could be called a machete, which is used to clear overgrown woodlands. So even the exception to the fluff restrictions that don't quite seem to make sense actually make perfect sense after you think about it.

Actually, druids are specifically allowed to use the scimitar because it is in the shape of the moon.

It's just one of those little facts I know that doesn't get brought up often

VoxRationis
2015-04-14, 10:44 AM
Remember that the paladins in this edition may have a waived alignment requirement (with the exception of the Oathbreaker), but they still have fluff restrictions in the form of their Oath, which is just about as binding as alignment would have been in most respects, and often more so. I mean, keeping to the tenets of an alignment isn't all that different from adhering to the tenets of a sworn oath, when you come down to it.

rollingForInit
2015-04-14, 01:49 PM
As far as magic items from the DMG go, the closest we have to Dragonhide is Dragon Scale Mail, +1 scale mail which grants damage resistance, dragon-locating powers, and advantage versus certain dragon powers. I don't see anything like Ironwood, though...

There is really nothing specifying what material the items in the DMG are made of. I mean, what's to say you didn't just find an (full plate) Armor of Fire Resistance forged from the bones of the red dragon you killed? Or a Dwarven Plate made from magical crystals mined from the depths of the mountains ...

jkat718
2015-04-14, 05:13 PM
There is really nothing specifying what material the items in the DMG are made of. I mean, what's to say you didn't just find an (full plate) Armor of Fire Resistance forged from the bones of the red dragon you killed? Or a Dwarven Plate made from magical crystals mined from the depths of the mountains ...

As I said, that was only involving items that are on the magic item list. There are no rules for special materials (at least, not yet), so there's nothing mentioned about them in the DMG. Of course, you can replace the material with whatever you want, I was just pointing out the lack of rule support for Person_Man's suggestions. If one of my players wanted to play a Druid, they would be able to buy or find Ironwood armor, and I would be willing to allow the party to hire a master smith to make dragon hide armor for them (provided they had dragon hide from somewhere, obviously). My point was only in reference to the DMG's magic items.

SharkForce
2015-04-15, 08:53 AM

you must be fighting some really odd red dragons in your game :P

(j/k, i'm assuming you meant that to mean that you would make the bones into armour or similar :) )

Freelance GM
2015-04-16, 07:36 AM
There are no rules for special materials (at least, not yet), so there's nothing mentioned about them in the DMG.

Page 142.

Although it's nothing like 3.P/4E special materials, the "Who Created It or Intended to Use It?" table suggests alternative materials that magic items could be made of. They're meant for flavor, but would also work around the Druid's fluff restrictions.

Dragon and Fiend items could have been made from bone, and it suggests that Elemental Earth or Water items could be made of stone or coral respectively.

So while it's not the solid "pay this much for a Mithril item that weighs half as much," there's at least something.