PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating a Halfing Cleric/Paladin?

GM_3826
2015-04-14, 07:34 AM
So, I'm planning on playing as a Halfling who serves Yondalla in this new edition, as the rules as I interpret them seem to indicate that this is not as horrible an idea as it was in previous editions. Of course, I'm not sure. Do you think this is a good idea? If so, does any option look better than the other? How do you recommend I build and roleplay this character?

Mr.Moron
2015-04-14, 07:42 AM
It's no more or less valid than other character concept. Your misgivings are rather vague and so hard to address. Do you have specific concerns?

Person_Man
2015-04-14, 08:01 AM
Paladin/Cleric is a fine combination. Typically people take 2 (Smite), 5 (Extra Attack), or 7 (Auras) levels of Paladin, followed by Cleric for the superior spell progression. More Cleric gives you more powerful daily resources. More Paladin gives you better at-will resources. How many Paladin levels you take also depends on your ability scores. If you roll really well and get high Str, Con, Wis, and Cha, then its worth taking 7 levels. If you are doing a point buy or just roll poorly, then its typically better to just take 2 or 5 levels of Paladin, and you'll want to avoid spells with a Saving Throw.

Oath doesn't matter if you're only taking 2 levels of Paladin, if you're taking 5 I suggest Vengeance (Vow of Enmity, best spells), if you're taking 7 levels I suggest Oath of the Ancients (Resistance to Magic).

For Cleric Domain I suggest Trickery. It fits with the fluff, it has the best Domain spell list (Mirror Image, Pass Without Trace), and you don't gain anything from bonus Proficiencies (War, Tempest, etc) or Powerful Cantrip offered by other Domains.

Note that with Paladin/Cleric there tends to be a lot of competition for your Bonus Action and Concentration. So choose your Feats and spells wisely.

gameogre
2015-04-14, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't do it. Too much overlap but the standard weakening of the class due to mixing so that you fall short of the end abilities.

Also to be honest a Paladin can already be real cleric like if he chooses or the cleric can be very Paladinish. There just isn't a big enough reason to sacrifice end game abilities.

Just my thoughts anyway.

GM_3826
2015-04-14, 10:19 AM
It's no more or less valid than other character concept. Your misgivings are rather vague and so hard to address. Do you have specific concerns?

OK, yeah, here. I'm mainly asking whether or not it will work mechanically. The idea of how to roleplay is not necessary. I want something that I can roleplay in an unorthodox way that will also be "optimized" in a way. I would also be fine with "fluff", but that's not the gist of my request.
Also, I don't mean the combination of Cleric or Paladin, necessarily. Halfling can be full cleric or paladin if that would work better. It's either or both.

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-14, 10:35 AM
You don't need to obsess over optimization to create an effective character in 5e in the same way you did in certain prior editions. You can in fact just create a halfling paladin or cleric and be perfectly effective.

If you were to go Paladin, racial stats would slightly predispose you towards a dex-based paladin than a strength-based one. Aside from that it doesn't matter too much.

Drakefall
2015-04-14, 10:45 AM
You don't need to obsess over optimization to create an effective character in 5e in the same way you did in certain prior editions. You can in fact just create a halfling paladin or cleric and be perfectly effective.

If you were to go Paladin, racial stats would slightly predispose you towards a dex-based paladin than a strength-based one. Aside from that it doesn't matter too much.

Pretty much this.

You can make a halfling cleric. You can make a halfling paladin. Neither will suck. The difference between an "optimal" race/class combo and a "non-optimal" one is pretty dern small.

Yondalla is a lovely lady and I'm sure she'd be happy to have you either way.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-14, 10:48 AM
OK, yeah, here. I'm mainly asking whether or not it will work mechanically. The idea of how to roleplay is not necessary. I want something that I can roleplay in an unorthodox way that will also be "optimized" in a way. I would also be fine with "fluff", but that's not the gist of my request.
Also, I don't mean the combination of Cleric or Paladin, necessarily. Halfling can be full cleric or paladin if that would work better. It's either or both.

If your primary goal is optimization, it may be with high enough rolls. If you're using PB or Arrays, it will not be optimized. It will be functional in any case. If your threshold for this is "Works" then you're fine. If your threshold is "Mathematically Ideal for damage output at the lowest cost for a paladin" you probably want to look elsewhere.

GM_3826
2015-04-14, 10:49 AM
Oh, cool. Sorry.

...You know what? As someone who was HEAVILY confused at the sheer amount of complications and problems to 3.5, I'm glad I started with 5e. I guess I'll just play that from now on.