PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for a class. Person with bits of monster that give martial streagth

Rfkannen
2015-04-14, 09:06 AM
So one native that I personally enjoy is the character who gets their power from some kind of monstrous force which has been bound inside them. Whether it be the yoma flesh in claymore, the ninetailed fox from naruto, or the ghoul thingy in Rosario vampire, or perhaps my favorite; the slayer from dungeon fighter online. I have personally enjoyed the archetype. You get some power which you can control (and it is physical not magical), you can give into the beast a bit going crazy, but you use to much power and the monster takes over. And possibly at high levels you can basically turn into the monster with controll

I wanted to make a subclass for that, but it didnt really work. The warlock was to magical, and the barbarian doesnt have enough risk with raging.

So I decided to make a new class. But I am not sure of how to make it. I think the 3 subclasses will be 1) controll it, becoming a greater warrior. 2) basically just giving in and going crazy and 3) third caster.
At low levels you have no control of the beast, and are basically a weaker fighter that if they use to much power goes berserk attacking everything. Than over time they get more control, shapeshifting limbs into monstrous form, and eventually just becoming a monster.

The problem was that I had no idea how to actually implement it. Like the actually mechanics of the class, I had no ideas. Anyone here have ideas?

ps. Some examples of characters I want to replicate

clare from claymore
naruto from naruto
the slayer from dungeon fighter online
Ragna the Bloodedge (Blazblue)
the visored from bleach
the main dude from rosario vampire. (not the girl)

Karl Aegis
2015-04-14, 09:12 AM
Spend inspiration to automatically win a combat because nothing can actually stand up to you. Actually getting the inspiration becomes the hard part in using the class.

Anderlith
2015-04-14, 09:19 AM
First, I strongly recommend again t making a new class. Just make a barbarian archetype. Make raging more uncontrollable & give it some spell like abilities or a transform feature at level 14. Honestly this could be done with fluff & no need to bring mechanics into it

MrStabby
2015-04-14, 09:20 AM
I have to say I dont know any of the examples you give but I will throw out some ideas anyway (so yeah, this is all probably wrong). Not saying these are good but just keen to contribute:

1) Self Control as a resource

Like Ki you use this to have things go as you wish. Everytime you succede in an action maybe you need to expend this resource? If you kill someone you maybe have to spend this to not spend the next two turns eating the corpse for example.

2) Like the warlock, have the "monster" type be a choice

What does the monster want from you? What powers does it give? It it physical, mental or knowledge (each of these can still be useful to martials)

3) Give abilities that are hard to get elsewhere

Stat boosts of damage boosts are boring and pretty common. What can't you get elsewhere? Maybe a save proficiency from your beast? Maybe regenation? How about an ability to change size? A resistance or immunity?

4) Make sure you offer some out of combat abilities to flesh out the character.

Rangers environmental skills or thieves cant all add to the character. Don't leave these out

Certainly keen to see how this ends up.

Rfkannen
2015-04-14, 09:55 AM
Spend inspiration to automatically win a combat because nothing can actually stand up to you. Actually getting the inspiration becomes the hard part in using the class.

I am not sure what you mean. Just win combat?

First, I strongly recommend again t making a new class. Just make a barbarian archetype. Make raging more uncontrollable & give it some spell like abilities or a transform feature at level 14. Honestly this could be done with fluff & no need to bring mechanics into it

I tried that but I couldnt realy get what I wanted. One thing is that a barbarian is balanced around raging most important combats. I want to be able to play someone who tries very hard to not go berzerk while still useing its power. Like clare in claymore, she is always useing her power, regeneration and stuff, but she doesn't partially awaken unless it is realy important combat and she is okay with dyeing basically.

I have to say I dont know any of the examples you give but I will throw out some ideas anyway (so yeah, this is all probably wrong). Not saying these are good but just keen to contribute:

1) Self Control as a resource

Like Ki you use this to have things go as you wish. Everytime you succede in an action maybe you need to expend this resource? If you kill someone you maybe have to spend this to not spend the next two turns eating the corpse for example.

2) Like the warlock, have the "monster" type be a choice

What does the monster want from you? What powers does it give? It it physical, mental or knowledge (each of these can still be useful to martials)

3) Give abilities that are hard to get elsewhere

Stat boosts of damage boosts are boring and pretty common. What can't you get elsewhere? Maybe a save proficiency from your beast? Maybe regenation? How about an ability to change size? A resistance or immunity?

4) Make sure you offer some out of combat abilities to flesh out the character.

Rangers environmental skills or thieves cant all add to the character. Don't leave these out

Certainly keen to see how this ends up.

Self controll sounds cool, I could see it boggeing down combat though. Interesting idea though, maybe when you use your powers, but it would be hard to figure out what actions triggered it.

Cool idea with monster type. Not sure what it could be though. Like what knd of monsters it could be.

regeneration is going to be there, I love regeneration. The others sound cool, but I am not sure what is balanced for what level.

I have no ideas for non combat abilities. Do you have any?

Giant2005
2015-04-14, 10:02 AM
Make a Wild Magic type subclass for the Barbarian.

Draken
2015-04-14, 10:19 AM
I am not sure what you mean. Just win combat?

He is unhelpfully looking at the power level of the examples instead of the aesthetics. Ignore him.

I tried that but I couldnt realy get what I wanted. One thing is that a barbarian is balanced around raging most important combats. I want to be able to play someone who tries very hard to not go berzerk while still useing its power. Like clare in claymore, she is always useing her power, regeneration and stuff, but she doesn't partially awaken unless it is realy important combat and she is okay with dyeing basically.

Self controll sounds cool, I could see it boggeing down combat though. Interesting idea though, maybe when you use your powers, but it would be hard to figure out what actions triggered it.

Cool idea with monster type. Not sure what it could be though. Like what knd of monsters it could be.

regeneration is going to be there, I love regeneration. The others sound cool, but I am not sure what is balanced for what level.

I have no ideas for non combat abilities. Do you have any?

Anyway, onto a more adequate response.

A monk or warlock would be a better framework to build the class you want, I think. Better than warrior anyway. But yes, control would be ki by another name, spent to fuel on-the-spot shapeshifts that grant the proposed effects for a set duration. Strong, singular attacks. Regeneration. Barrages of natural weapons. All somewhat easily modeled by deriving numbers from spells.

Also I really recommend forgetting the "spend resources to not do random crap midfight" forget about bogging down combat, that sort of self-crowd-control would stop being fun very quickly for everyone involved.

Rfkannen
2015-04-14, 10:34 AM
He is unhelpfully looking at the power level of the examples instead of the aesthetics. Ignore him.

Anyway, onto a more adequate response.

A monk or warlock would be a better framework to build the class you want, I think. Better than warrior anyway. But yes, control would be ki by another name, spent to fuel on-the-spot shapeshifts that grant the proposed effects for a set duration. Strong, singular attacks. Regeneration. Barrages of natural weapons. All somewhat easily modeled by deriving numbers from spells.

Also I really recommend forgetting the "spend resources to not do random crap midfight" forget about bogging down combat, that sort of self-crowd-control would stop being fun very quickly for everyone involved.

Oh he meant power levels. Well, most of them are manga characters, they tend to be powerful. But most of them have hard fights, and the slayer is pretty well balanced against the other classes.

I don't realy want warlock because I dont want the class to be a spellcaster (maybe on one subclass, but not most)
Monk probably would work pretty good, ill use that as a base.

With the spending recource to not do random crap. Yeah it could get anoying. But I think it could be implemental properly. Haveing stuff like at a certain low amoung of recource you have to atack every turn, or when you reach 0 you become an npc temporarly.

Okay yeah I could see that being anoying, but I like the fluff of not wanting to use to much power or turning into a monster/beggining to lose control. The scene in claymore where raki has to hug clare to stop her from awakening was so freaking sweet XD. But I am not sure how to properly implement it. I want the risk thing their though. Not something that should happen most sessions, but a threat if you use to much power. Not sure how to not make it boreing though.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-14, 10:38 AM
I'd say you've got a Druid archetype. A spellless Druid.

As you progress in the Inner Beast archetype, instead of gaining spell progression, you gain transformation points at the same pace a Monk gains ki or a Sorcerer gains Metamagic. You choose your beast when you choose the archetype, and it never varies, although you retain the Druid ability to Wild Shape you cannot use transformation points on any shape other than the archetypical beast.

Transformation points let you do the following, using the example of a bear as your archetypical beast.
1 point = gain some aspect of the beast while retaining your humanoid form; e.g., you could gain a bear's sense of smell without altering your form in any way.
2 points = gain a more important aspect of the beast, such as the bear's strength or hide toughness. High Wisdom(perception) rolls might detect a slight change in appearance.
And so on. Spend more points, get more bear power.
20 points = change into a Bear Paragon; you are now in the form of The Ultimate Bear. A 16 HD, 28 AC, bite like a T-Rex, claw attacks like a ancient red dragon, move speed of 80, senses equivalent to a dragon's, Bear before whom all other bears tremble. In fact any other bears in the neighborhood will immediately join you in combat and fight to the death alongside you, for you are an avatar of their ursine god.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-14, 10:58 AM
Firstly, I agree with the others that the easiest thing to do would be to make a barbarian archetype. What I would do is base it on the Frenzy, where each time you use one of those enhanced rages you gain a point of monster-ness, which goes away at a rate of 1/long rest, and each point drives you further towards being a monster. Have the player lose control the higher they go, until they fully lose it. I would probably also add the monk's unarmed attack progression as a scaling natural weapon (call it natural weapon or claws or whatever instead of unarmed attack, so as not to step on the monk).

That said, if you want to make a class, I would first figure out what you want the class to do. Classes with spellcasting or high utility don't have the same consistent damage output of a fighter or barbarian. Most classes have strengths and areas where they shine, such as monks being good at dealing with casters and having high saves, and weaknesses, such as monks having relatively few ways to deal with high-constitution foes that have powerful attacks.

If you want the class to be somewhere in the middle between utility and damage, I would make sure the class does damage not too far from what a monk or rogue outputs. For high damage low utility classes, use the barbarian. For full casters, use the caster they most closely resemble. For halfies, use paladins and rangers. And so on.

Also make sure you do the math and examine how the class interacts with Feats and multiclassing. This is the hardest part, and even WotC made some mistakes with all of their testing (for example, agonizing eldritch blast out-damages every other cantrip, and it can be acquired from a two level dip; this really should not be the case).

As you can see, designing a class is a lot of work. Archetypes are comparatively easy, but a cursory glance at the Homebrew forum will show you that people can mess those up pretty badly too. That said, as long as you do the math and stick to existing examples when designing your mechanics, you should be fine.

Ziegander
2015-04-15, 05:48 PM
I have been inspired. Would you mind if I perhaps take a crack at this?

Rfkannen
2015-04-15, 05:51 PM
I have been inspired. Would you mind if I perhaps take a crack at this?

Why the hell would I mind! Just post the completed thing here when your done with it.

Ziegander
2015-04-15, 05:59 PM
Why the hell would I mind! Just post the completed thing here when your done with it.

Pfft! Alright, will do. If I actually complete it. I have far less free time to do homebrewing these days, and with the state of tables on this forum, posting a class here presentably takes so much more time than it once did...

Ziegander
2015-04-15, 08:59 PM
Okay, so I really like the idea of "Self-Control" points and this concept of waffling between control over your own power and giving into "the beast" (which has its own powers that you don't necessarily have control over). To me it has Bloodborne and existential horror written all over it. Which is great.

My idea is a sort of teeter-totter subsystem where you get certain passive benefits while you have "X" Self-Control, you have certain active powers that you can only activate by spending Self-Control, and then you have a set of drawbacks as well as new, different passive benefits that take effect once you are down to "Y or less" Self-Control. Essentially, you never become more or less powerful, but as you manage your Self-Control resource you either keep your head but play more conservatively, or you lose your cool, and lose your sense of self as you take the initiative, and give in to the beast.

I'm not sure how to divide this kind of class into three separate sub-systems, obviously different "beasts" makes sense, Lycanthropy being a fairly clear choice for one, but ultimately I don't know if I can spread that three ways.

Gritmonger
2015-04-16, 01:32 AM
Well, as far as stats go - you could have x resource to use ability 1 & 2 with no downsides (at-will abilities something like the Warlock abilities) - if you spend resource to up effect of ability 1 & 2 (double, re-use, extend range, etc) you lose resource and start to suffer ill effects - become more reckless.

Recklessness could be mimicked by loss of AC due to DEX for instance, or disadvantage on DEX saves as recklessness takes over.

It could also add damage while reducing accuracy, similar to some of the other feats.

All self-control gone would be problematic. Nobody wants to have a player around who might go ape and kill them on accident. The state of a character with all control gone might be disadvantage on any CHA checks (persuasion, diplomacy, deception) until they get 1 self control back. Maybe they're vulnerable to psychic damage.

Maybe you gain one level of exhaustion when you lose all self control - this might mimic a lot of the above effects, as I think it imposes disadvantage on skill checks or saves... afb right now.

Ziegander
2015-04-17, 12:54 AM
A work in progress...

HARBINGER
The human's long, black coat swept from his shoulders all the way to the dirty streets beneath his feet as he sauntered through the town of bolted doors and shuttered windows. Tonight was the night of the hunt and to the beasts that made the nearby wood their home, he was to be the prey. Or so they thought. Even as they hunted townsfolk through the streets, he had hunted them for days.

Pale as moonlight, and just as fleeting, the wood elf poured over the dusty tomes of another ancient tower, frantically searching for the cure, the cure that had eluded her now for years. Her son's future depended on it; there was no turning back until she'd found it. As blood pooled from the dead wizard at her feet she stepped aside and stared at it and her lips parted slowly.

Laughter erupted in his mind once again, and the Tiefling closed his eyes shut hard. He had heard the voices all his life, and he knew that within him was everything that everyone feared about his kind. He had gone so long this time, and yet, somehow he knew, he would not be able to keep the demon at bay for much longer. Soon, he would lose himself again.

Harbingers are cursed souls struggling with powerful afflictions and compulsions, called to adventure to seclude themselves from society, to seek remedy for their condition, or sometimes in an attempt to use their unique powers for a higher purpose. These Harbingers tend to live a double life, exercising and toughening their scarred minds against those times that "the Beast" awakens. It is "the Beast" that defines their curse and grants them supernatural powers, but such powers come at a cost.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Self Control
Compulsions
The Beast Awakens

1st
+2
Composure, Mark of the Beast
--
--

2nd
+2
Deadly Compulsions
--

3rd
+2
Beast Transformation
1d4, +10ft

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
1d4, +10ft

5th
+3
Extra Attack
1d6, +10ft

6th
+3
Beast Transformation
1d6, +15ft

7th
+3

1d6, +15ft

8th
+3
1d6, +15ft

9th
+4

1d6, +15ft

10th
+4
Beast Transformation
1d6, +20ft

11th
+4

1d8, +20ft

12th
+4
1d8, +20ft

13th
+5

1d8, +20ft

14th
+5

1d8, +25ft

15th
+5
Beast Transformation
1d8, +25ft

16th
+5
1d8, +25ft

17th
+6

1d10, +25ft

18th
+6

1d10, +30ft

19th
+6
1d10, +30ft

20th
+6
Final Transformation
1d10, +30ft

Class Features
As a Harbinger, you gain the following class features.

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Harbinger level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per harbinger level after 1st

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None

Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose three from Arcana, Deception, History, Intimidation, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Religion, and Survival

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) scale mail or (b) leather armor
(a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons
(a) 20 arrows or (b) 20 bolts
Two simple weapons
(a) a burglar's pack, (b) a diplomat's pack, (c) an explorer's pack, or (d) a scholar's pack

COMPOSURE
Key to defending yourself from the curse that compels you is a disciplined mind, your composure, represented by a number of Self Control points determined by your harbinger level. Though you do not start with any features that allow you to spend these points for any purpose, as long as you possess at least 1 point of Self Control you are considered to be proficient with Intelligence saving throws and may take one among the Disengage, Help, or Search actions as a bonus action on your turn.

When you are reduced to 0 hit points or fail a Wisdom or Charisma saving throw by 5 or more you lose 1 point of Self Control. After spending or losing Self Control in this way, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you are able to compose yourself. You must spend at least 30 minutes of your rest meditating to regain your Self Control.

Your curse will have different effects on you as you spend or lose your Self Control and each will offer you its own way for you to regain Self Control outside of rests.
MARK OF THE BEAST
You are afflicted by a terrible curse, one that visits ruin upon your name and fills you with strange compulsions that drive you to do stranger things. "The Beast" is what the Harbingers collectively call these afflictions, and at 1st level you designate which among Lycanthropy, Vampirism, or Demonic Possession is yours. Your choice grants you features at 1st level and influences the Beast Transformations you undergo starting at 3rd level and continuing at 6th level, 10th level, 15th level, and ending with your Final Transformation at 20th level.

LYCANTHROPY
You are afflicted by a corrupted form of werewolfism that drives you to hunt weaker creatures and maul your prey. You are possessed of a savagery rivaled only by a barbarian and your self control is the only thing that makes you more than a wild animal.

Starting at 1st level, your curse grants you Darkvision out to 60ft and advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on hearing and smell. Upon being reduced to 0 Self Control points, if you are still conscious, coarse, dark hair sprouts across your chest, limbs, and back, your eyes turn yellow and go bloodshot, and you immediately enter a rage gaining the following benefits:

You are considered proficient with Strength saving throws.
You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When you make a melee attack using Strength, if the target is a creature it must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone.

If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging. While the rage lasts, every round on your turn you must use your action to make a melee attack against the nearest creature. If the nearest creature is friendly toward you, or is you, then you may attempt a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier), and if you succeed then you may act normally for that turn and you can choose to gain 1 Self Control point. This rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you have at least 1 Self Control point. When your rage ends, your physical state returns to normal and you suffer one level of exhaustion (PHB, pg 291).

CLAW AT THE MOON
At 3rd level you grow strong, curved, black claws at the end of each of your fingers and on your toes. Your unarmed strike deals 1d4 slashing damage + your Strength or Dexterity modifier which you may use as an off-hand weapon, and if you choose to fight with two weapons, using your unarmed strike as an off-hand weapon, you do add your ability score modifier to the damage roll when attacking with it. The slashing damage your unarmed strike deals increases as shown in the table above. So long as your feet are not covered by footwear and you have not cut the claws on your toes, climbing does not halve your speed and you gain a +10ft bonus to your land speed. This bonus to your speed increases by 5ft at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels.

HOWL OF THE WOLF
Beginning at 6th level you may communicate with dogs and wolves as if through the Speak with Animals spell, and you become capable of letting out a clear, haunting howl as an action that can be heard from up to 1 mile away. If you are raging while you howl in this way, all hostile creatures within 60ft that can hear you must succeed on a Will save (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or become frightened of you for the next minute.

POUNCE ON THE MOUNTAIN
Beginning at 10th level, you may climb on sheer surfaces with little or no footholds, digging your powerful claws into the plane to propel yourself up. Furthermore, if you begin your movement while climbing and move at least 10ft before attacking a creature with your unarmed strike that creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone. If you were also raging, the creature you hit suffers disadvantage to its Strength save.

ALPHA'S CALL
Beginning at 15th level, dogs and wolves will not attack you, and become frightened of you if you attack them, for the next 24 hours. You may use your action to designate the next action any one dog or wolf within 30ft of you will take on its next turn. Dogs and wolves within 30ft of you gain advantage on attack rolls against any hostile creatures within 5ft of you. Finally, you may use any dog or wolf to deliver messages for you as if you cast the Animal Messenger spell from a 5th level spell slot.

FINAL TRANSFORMATION
Beginning at 20th level, ...

VAMPIRISM
You are afflicted by a diluted form of undeath that gives you an unslakeable thirst for blood and an unnerving grace. Your charm and elegance compares with even the most famous of bards, yet your self control is the only thing keeping you from staining the world red.

Starting at 1st level, your curse grants you resistance to necrotic damage and when you jump your distance is doubled. You become proficient in one among the Deception, Intimidate, or Persuasion skills if you are not already, and your proficiency bonus for one of those skills is doubled.

Upon being reduced to 0 Self Control points, if you are still conscious, your skin goes visibly pale and your eyes turn black. For the next minute you enter a state otherwise known as bloodlust and during you know the exact hit point totals of all creatures you can see and you are compelled to drink the blood of the nearest, easiest target. Until you are successful, you are compelled to seek out and make an unarmed strike (bite) attack against the creature you can see with the lowest total hit points (including any creatures with 0 hit points). You have disadvantage on this attack against any conscious creatures you are not grappling with. If the creature with the lowest hit points is beyond your reach, or is a friendly creature you may attempt a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) and if you succeed you may act normally during that turn and can choose to gain 1 Self Control point. This compulsion ends early if you successfully make an unarmed strike (bite) attack in this way, or if your turn ends and you have 1 or more Self Control points. When this compulsion ends your skin and eyes return to normal and if you did not make at least one successful unarmed strike (bite) attack you suffer one level of exhaustion (PHB, pg 291).

XXXX
At 3rd level, you grow long, canine fangs and angular jaw muscles, increasing your unarmed strike (bite) damage to 1d4 piercing + your Strength or Dexterity modifier. When using your unarmed strike as a bite attack you cannot use it as an off-hand weapon. Your unarmed strike (bite) damage increases as you gain levels as indicated in the table above. When making an unarmed strike (bite) attack, as described above, you have disadvantage on the attack if it is made against any conscious creature you are not grappling. Any successful unarmed strike (bite) attack you make against a living target allows you to regain a number of hit points equal to half the damage your bite inflicted. Furthermore, you gain a +10ft bonus to your land speed. This increase to your speed increases by 5ft at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels.

XXXX
At 6th level, your jump distance is tripled and you are immune to necrotic damage. Anytime you would normally be dealt necrotic damage, instead you regain a number of hit points equal to half the damage that would have been dealt. While bloodlusting you have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made to grab targets and you may walk across the surface of water or other liquids that could not normally support your weight and can end your movement while still standing on such a surface only falling beneath the surface if you wish to. While bloodlusting you are sensitive to sunlight like a Drow.

XXXX
At 10th level, ...

XXXX
At 15th level, bla, bla, bla, and while you are bloodlusting your unarmed strike (bite) attack deals additional necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

FINAL TRANSFORMATION
Beginning at 20th level, ...

DEADLY COMPULSIONS
Once you've reached 2nd level you've begun to tap into the Beast within you for brief surges of cursed power at the cost of your Self Control. At 2nd level, choose any two Compulsions that you meet the prerequisites for. These two compulsions are your first compulsions known, and as you gain new levels as a harbinger you learn additional compulsions. Each compulsion has a cost in number of Self Control points and requires you to use either your action or bonus action on your turn. You will notice that some of the compulsions cannot be taken until you reach a certain level.

BESTIAL STRIKE
Prerequisites: None
Action: Bonus Action
Cost: 1 or more Self Control
Whenever you make a successful weapon attack you may use this compulsion and spend 1 or more Self Control points. For each Self Control point you spend, roll your weapon's damage dice one additional time and add the result to your total damage dealt.

More to come...

A work in progress...

NBooms06
2015-04-17, 07:18 AM
I agree with some of the other posters that your goal could probably be achieved by a subclass. I do applaud Ziegander for taking a stab at creating a new class, wouldn't mind seeing that when/if it's finished.

What if you had a Barbarian subclass that was something like this:
(Disclaimer: All of this is probably terribly balanced and numbers/wording will be off, but maybe this will help get OP closer to what he's looking for)

Hellbound
Some barbarians derive their power from more malevolent forces. A lower diety, trickster demon, or some other unworldly force bound to their body by a ritual or pact. Hellbound Barbarians harness this entity and walk the line of sanity, using it's granted powers to fuel his own abilities.

Level 3 - Pact Tempation
Whenever you perform a killing blow on a creature, roll a d20. On a 1, the force inside you manifests. Roll on the Pact Tempation table. (This table would have effects similar to the Wild Magic table, ranging from giving advantage to your next attack, healing you XdY+Z, a pillar of fire erupting around you, harmless/fluff effects like your body starts smoking/steaming, or even going into an uncontrollable frenzy for 1dX rounds with a saving throw at the beginning of each of your turns to regain control).

At level 3, you also gain the ability to cast Augury as a ritual, communing with your entity.

That's all the time I have for now, perhaps I can revisit this later to flesh it out more. Good luck OP!