PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Warrior

Anderlith
2015-04-14, 09:13 AM
I've been wanting to play a warrior that is in tune with is ancestors & through them he finds himself skilled beyond his learning & guided by seasoned warriors in combat. What class would you recommend/ how should it play off? I'd rather not go as a generic fighter. I was hoping to wear light or no armor but still pack a punch & maybe have some side abilities I could fluff as ancestor spirits helping me

MrStabby
2015-04-14, 09:22 AM
I would go for a Paladin.

Their auras are like they are being watched over, their smites can represent ancestral power and the Cha they need you can fluff as how they connect with the spirit world?

Edit:

Possibly a warlock with an "Ancestor Pact"? Bladelock could work either with an existing Pact refluffed or a homebrew one.

Ralanr
2015-04-14, 09:26 AM
Barbarian, probably totem warrior with slight refluffing.

Hyena
2015-04-14, 09:56 AM
I second totem warrior barbarian.

Joe the Rat
2015-04-14, 10:33 AM
In terms of least to most magical:
Totem Barbarian - with the totems representing ancestors rather than animal spirits. You can even reskin Rage as channeling your ancestor's might and skill, and protection (damage resistance). Reckless Attack becomes about your ancestors guiding your hand, while forgetting about that whole "flesh and blood" thing.
Any martial with Magic Initiate (Cleric) - For the guidance cantrip, and possibly resistance. Your single spell should probably be Bless, or a protection or divination effect.
Paladin - MrStabby has a good concept here. Keeping in the good graces of / keeping your Oath to your ancestors is what gives you your abilities. You have more versatility here compared to the Barbarian, though you may need to reconcile the ability to heal with the rest of the concept. Smiting is spot on.
Blade Warlock - Again, MrStabby. Your spell selection should reflect the "guidance of the ancestors" not "eldritch blasty doom." There are some flavorful (if not ideal) invocations as well, though you will probably need to put most into the blade side of things. You also get that wonderful trick where you're not just using your grandfather's sword, but your grandfather's spirit's version of the sword. Or your great-aunt's great axe.
Favored Soul Sorcerer - Probably using the War domain. At this point you play more as a caster with martial skill than a warrior with ancestral support. Again, focus on buffs and boons rather than blasts.

Rfkannen
2015-04-14, 10:36 AM
Tottaly barbarian. You don't have to fluff it as going crazy, fluff it as being possese or tapping into power. Would work wonders, bassicaly exactly what you want as I see it.

Madfellow
2015-04-14, 10:39 AM
I'll second both barbarian and paladin, and add the idea of a half elf bladelock taking the Fey Pact. Just feels right to me.

ruy343
2015-04-14, 01:31 PM
You know, the idea has prompted me to come up with primal path anyways, regardless of what's already there. I'll try to keep it balanced. I'm away from my book right now, but I'll construct the levels for things from memory. Let me know what you think:

Path of the Ancestors

While other barbarians separate themselves from all ties of family and kin, you have embarked to follow in your great ancestors' footsteps. In the heat of battle, you are filled with the power of your ancestors, tapping into their spiritual might and granting you supernatural strength and power.

For all spells detailed below, use your Charisma modifier for determining the Spell Save DC (8+proficiency+CHA)

Path Benefit 1 (Level 3) - Ancestral Might
When you begin to rage, you may choose to cast Enhance Ability spell, targeting yourself. From the spell, you may cast Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Might or Eagle's Splendor. You do not need to maintain concentration to keep the effect; it remains active as long as you are raging. You may perform this ability a number of times per long rest equal to half your number of daily rages (rounded down). At level 11, you may use this ability on every rage.

Path Benefit 2 (Level 8?) - Ancestral sight
You gain the ability to cast the Guidance cantrip, as well as the ability to cast See Invisibility and Clairvoyance once each per long rest. This increases to twice each at level 15

Path Benefit 3 (Level 17?) - Ancestral guardians
When you begin your rage, you may cast the Spirit Guardians spell. It remains active until you end your rage, or until the spell ends. You may do this a number of times per day equal to half your total number of daily rages (rounded down).

EDIT: note that path benefit 2 is mostly based on non-combat utility. That's what the other paths do too, so I'm trying to follow in those footsteps. Maybe I should ditch the see invisibility one though...

What do you think? Not powerful enough? Too powerful?

xroads
2015-04-14, 03:39 PM
I've been wanting to play a warrior that is in tune with is ancestors & through them he finds himself skilled beyond his learning & guided by seasoned warriors in combat. What class would you recommend/ how should it play off? I'd rather not go as a generic fighter. I was hoping to wear light or no armor but still pack a punch & maybe have some side abilities I could fluff as ancestor spirits helping me

Another reason to choose Barbarian is they have that "Unarmored Defense" ability which sounds exactly what your looking for. Using the standard ability scores from the PHB, your character is probably going to end up with a 15 AC with no armor (I think). Seventeen if they use a shield.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-14, 03:46 PM
I've actually read a pretty similar thing for an open hand monk. R.A. Salvatore had a character in his latest book, Revenge of the Iron Dwarf, who was guided by an ancient grandmaster speaking into his mind and directing his attacks.

Point being: I think that this can be done with any martial just by fluffing (Role play) that you are guided by your ancestors, and they're responsible for your relatively fast growth (PC's often improve quickly relative to the NPCs around them).

Anderlith
2015-04-14, 06:09 PM
That's what I thought. Barbarian seems like the most reasonable choice. But ones hoping I could mix in monk & a few other bits. Anyway to optimize a roadblock barbarian?

Ralanr
2015-04-14, 06:14 PM
That's what I thought. Barbarian seems like the most reasonable choice. But ones hoping I could mix in monk & a few other bits. Anyway to optimize a roadblock barbarian?

And by roadblock you mean?

Madfellow
2015-04-14, 07:51 PM

Max out Con and Dex, take the Polearm Master and Sentinel feats if allowed, possibly as early as level 4 if the variant human is allowed, ask if your DM will allow the Marking rules from the DMG. Rage early and often and make plenty of Reckless Attacks. Go Path of the Totem Warrior and pick up the Bear Totem at level 3.

Good luck. :smallsmile:

Anderlith
2015-04-14, 08:37 PM
I apologise I'm using a kindle & it autocorrected. I meant bladelock

EvanescentHero
2015-04-14, 09:14 PM
I second monk, actually. Unarmored, hits pretty hard, and has side abilities (attack riders and ki stuff). Manifestations of ki could easily be fluffed as your ancestors helping you out and teaching you, depending on the path you take. Plus monks tend to be inherently spiritual, so it's not a tough jump to make.

Ardantis
2015-04-15, 07:19 AM
Warlock patron was 3.5 fluffed to potentially be an infernal ancestor. The class is built on granted abilities from a mortal creature superior to you.

Monk is spiritual, but from an institutional tradition.

Barbarians are tribal, sure, but have been traditionally chaotic by fluff.

I say blade lock with as little barbarian multiclass as you are comfortable with.

Pact blade is ancestral weapon, magical abilities are conducive with strength from the ancients. Multi barb for defensive abilities.