PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon help

Godie1803
2015-04-14, 10:21 AM
Hi guys, I'd like to ask you for some help with a dungeon I'm trying to build for my players, they're more used to the hit, kill, loot kind of dungeons so I wanted to give them a puzzle like dungeon for a change, but nothing too complicated.

The dungeon will consist of a maze with some statues that they must activate by doing X, by activating all the statues they'll be granted access to the next area where the "boss" is waiting with the sweet, sweet loot

So far I have only one statue, The Knight; the characters will enter a room with the walls covered in hats, helms and crowns of silver, gold and so. On the opposite wall from where they came from there's a statue of a knight and at the bottom reads "A crown for a King" The trick is to put the right "crown" on the statue (but since it's a knight, not a king, only the helm will activate it).

So what I'm asking guys is if any of you have some ideas I could use for the other statues (preferably something similar to the knight).

Lacco
2015-04-17, 05:01 AM
If you want to go with the statues... do you want these to be magical or advanced mechanical? If magical, there are more options.

And my suggestions for not-very-hard puzzles?

Drunkard. Pour any alcoholic potion into his cup/mouth.

Sleeper. Make any loud sound to "wake him up" (bonus points if he blocks a trap door with his body).

Lord. Kneel before him?

Poet. Finish a rhyme (any rhyme will do).

Maiden/bride? Put a ring (any ring) on her finger.

Thrawn4
2015-04-17, 05:37 AM
Just remember to have an alternative at hand in case the players don't solve it.

The unpunished murderer: Destroy statue

The fool: No purpose, just ignore

The poor: Donate a coin (maybe a gap in the floor?)

---
OR you could establish some kind of relationship between the statues (legends of the past or historical texts) and the players have to rearrange the statues accordingly (Bob opposes Mary and should stand in front of her, the traiterous Joe with his knife in her back, Willy hiding in the corner....)

MrZJunior
2015-04-17, 06:34 AM
The Old Woman, help her across the street.

goto124
2015-04-17, 06:53 AM
Sleeper. Make any loud sound to "wake him up" (bonus points if he blocks a trap door with his body).

http://pokedream.com/games/pokemon-xy/images/r7-snorlax.png

Also, plot-based puzzles may get a lot harder if the party has a habit of not paying attention to the plot. Or just has bad memory.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-04-17, 07:10 AM
For something like this, IMO, you should work out what the "keys" are preventing access to, and why someone would want to get access (or why someone would want to set up someone else to access it). I'd also consider whether and how it resets - so maybe you couldn't destroy a statue to trigger the opening, unless it doesn't reset.

For the Fool, I'd say you have to place an object in front of the statue so it looks like he's juggling - maybe there's a particular object that levitates, maybe there's a spool of thin thread that can't be seen, maybe the PCs need to levitate something in place long enough for it to trigger.

For other suggestions:
The Confidante: Whisper a secret into the statues ear.

The Lover: Kiss the statue.

The Healer: Heal an injury, or at the very least, wrap a bandage around a body part.

erikun
2015-04-17, 08:14 AM
The first problem is that the party might not recognize that there is a puzzle. After all, if they are used to spiders and ghosts and statues attacking them all the time, then they would probably be of the mindset that attacking the statue is better than solving it.

The second problem is, of course, destroying the puzzle before they have a chance to solve it.

The third would probably involve putting everything to some logic. This would include both how everything goes together, and why it would go together at this location. Why are there a bunch of statues in this location? What purpose do the puzzles serve?

If the dungeon is some sort of old forgotten temple or monestary, having been lost of forgotten by time, then it would explain why it hasn't been ransacked with such easy puzzles inside. It would make sense for the entire place to be decrepit and filled with vines, possibly with some sort of animals or plant-creatures which have moved in. Nothing too difficult for the party to deal with, just enough to show that there are some hostiles in the area - you don't want constant battles or the stress of a big battle to get in the way of puzzles. As for the puzzles themselves, perhaps a plaque or carving at the entrance stating the purpose of the place, something like "Inside this place are the seven paths of wisdom and humility" or something.

As for the puzzles, probably simplier is better. Especially if it is spelled out for the party, they should have get some idea of what to do. The Beggar, for example, might have a slot in its outstretched hands to accept a coin. The Drunkard would have a hole in its mouth. The Bride would have an indentation on its extended finger. These should be made available if the party makes a perception test, or also made available if they feel all over the statue for anything strange.

The big question is to ask, what is the point of the statues? I would assume there is something behind each one, at least to prevent the party from needing to re-solve puzzles as they go. Perhaps keys behind six and a door with six keyholes behind the seventh? Also, what kind of "boss" would be in such a location to warrant guarding a treasure.

The party just trying to trash the place is also a possibility, and so you'd want to ask what to do if they don't solve it. Or if they, say, cleave one of the keys in half. Given that this (presumably) isn't that important of a place overall, simply clearing it out for XP and/or selling the location to an interested archeologist might be the best secondary reward.

goto124
2015-04-17, 10:55 AM
Or... just tell the players beforehand OOCly, that it's a puzzle dungeon not a murderhobo one.

if they feel all over the statue for anything strange

The Succubus requires this to proceed :smallamused:

Lacco
2015-04-17, 11:47 AM
And of course, it would help if the statues came with a hard to miss plaques/writing on a wall.

BTW, I would recommend to let them open the door if they find a good workaround.

Example: Lady. Requires flowers to let them pass. But if they give her diamond, who would argue with that?

The Healer: Heal an injury, or at the very least, wrap a bandage around a body part.

Did you mean heal an injury on a PC in front of him? If they are unharmed it would be quite interesting :smallamused:

And other ones:

Vampire. Sacrifice blood. Or scare him with garlic.

Wise man. Scroll/book.

Squire. Knight him or give him a weapon.

erikun
2015-04-17, 11:11 PM
Did you mean heal an injury on a PC in front of him? If they are unharmed it would be quite interesting :smallamused:
I think that this would probably make more sense as "The Wounded" which requires someone to cast a heal spell on the statue, or at least bandage the injured area.

JNAProductions
2015-04-17, 11:12 PM
Two doors: One guarded by the Healer, one by the Killer. In front of both doors is one more statue-the Wounded. You can only get through one door.

Gritmonger
2015-04-18, 02:51 AM
... The Bride would have an indentation on its extended finger. ...

Is that for a katana, or an eyeball?

goto124
2015-04-18, 09:42 AM
Vampire. Sacrifice blood. Or scare him with garlic

'I cast Glitterdust, covering him in sparkles.'

Is that for a katana, or an eyeball?

This is why we allow player-created solutions :D

The Knight: Challenge her to a duel.

Godie1803
2015-04-21, 07:15 PM
Wow, those are all great ideas, thanks guys. Of course if players come with clever solutions that I did not think of but fit I'll allow them, and as a few asked, yes, they're all magic statues.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-04-22, 07:18 AM

Yes to the first, "at the very least, wrap a bandage around a body part" for the second, so that you fake it enough for the key to be activated. :smallsmile:

But hey, if you want your PCs slicing the palm of their hand on a blade, then wasting a cure spell, well it's your adventure. :smallbiggrin:

Or go with erikun's "The Wounded" - I did consider that as well.