PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help suggest me a class to fit into my current group

Neverethe
2015-04-14, 12:12 PM
I am still very new to Pathfinder and Roleplayer Games in general. So my questions may seem a little out there when I know the idea of roleplaying games can be subjective.

Our current PFS group is running a Cleric, Bard/Cleric, Summoner, Paladin, Skald and Magus. We are getting ready to run finally start 3-5 and I have 3 levels to play with at the moment. I am sure I can whip up a fun background for any class depending on what feats are provided. With the classes currently given I am hoping to not have too much overlap. I am not looking for a full build that I can copy. I just want a skeleton. An idea to extrapolate on.

I am partial to the idea of an Oracle, Investigator, Shaman or Alchemist. Oracle would probably be my top choice but I am a little weary of the overlap with a Cleric. What we really lack in our group is heavy spellcasting (as our summoner is fully pumping his Eidolons) and disables.

Thank you for the help and for taking the time to pondering a newbies dumb questions.

avr
2015-04-14, 12:29 PM
With only the possible exception of the Skald that group sounds quite skills-light. An Investigator would be a good choice IMO; i doubt anyone else is particularly good at knowledges for example. And yes they can disable traps.

One easy way to contribute in combat as an Investigator is to use a longspear and extend your reach with extracts, then use Combat Reflexes to smack or trip enemies whenever they try to move.

Neverethe
2015-04-14, 01:23 PM
With only the possible exception of the Skald that group sounds quite skills-light. An Investigator would be a good choice IMO; i doubt anyone else is particularly good at knowledges for example. And yes they can disable traps.

One easy way to contribute in combat as an Investigator is to use a longspear and extend your reach with extracts, then use Combat Reflexes to smack or trip enemies whenever they try to move.

Ooo. I really like the idea of an investigator. Is there a way to build a dagger slinging investigator?

Geddy2112
2015-04-14, 01:34 PM
Second investigator. Your group has a full cleric, so there is your heavy caster. The bard/cleric and magus still have a good spell selection. Skald and summoner still have magic, and even the pally will have spells at level 4. Also, your group is entirely CHA based sans the Magus, so you don't need yet another CHA character. Investigator rounds out the skills, and is INT based.

If your going to throw daggers, you probably want to go down the studied/inspired strike tree, so you can throw daggers and add damage without burning inspiration, then add things like blind/confuse etc.

Secret Wizard
2015-04-14, 02:14 PM
You can build a ranged investigator. You need to pick up Ranged Study to apply Studied Combat with a ranged weapon, you'd need a nice balance of INT/DEX/str/con though, so I recommend you take a race that helps you in the stat front -- Dwarf comes to mind, but Wayang is also a great choice, considering they have no STR penalty, a bonus to INT and DEX, a penalty to WIS (you have good Will saves, so who cares), and they are small, so they get a +1 to attack and AC, which is AWESOME for a medium-BAB class with light armor such as investigators.

Anyway, going Wayang, 20 point buy stats would likely be:

14 STR, 16 DEX, 12 CON, 14 INT, 10 WIS, 8 CHA (after modifiers: 14, 18, 12, 16, 8, 8)

If you don't want to throw weapons necessarily, you can go with the hand crossbow, which doesn't require STR. But still, up to you.

For traits, I recommend Strong Arm, Supple Wrist and Pragmatic Activator.

For feats/talents, you want:

1. Point-Blank Shot
3. Weapon Focus (Dagger) // IT: Quick Study
5. Ranged Study // IT: Domino Effect
7. Precise Shot // IT: Amazing Inspiration
9. Quick Draw // IT: Combat Inspiration
11. Close-Quarters Thrower // IT: Timed Strike

Just as a suggestion of course.

Neverethe
2015-04-14, 02:27 PM
You can build a ranged investigator. You need to pick up Ranged Study to apply Studied Combat with a ranged weapon, you'd need a nice balance of INT/DEX/str/con though, so I recommend you take a race that helps you in the stat front -- Dwarf comes to mind, but Wayang is also a great choice, considering they have no STR penalty, a bonus to INT and DEX, a penalty to WIS (you have good Will saves, so who cares), and they are small, so they get a +1 to attack and AC, which is AWESOME for a medium-BAB class with light armor such as investigators.

Anyway, going Wayang, 20 point buy stats would likely be:

14 STR, 16 DEX, 12 CON, 14 INT, 10 WIS, 8 CHA (after modifiers: 14, 18, 12, 16, 8, 8)

If you don't want to throw weapons necessarily, you can go with the hand crossbow, which doesn't require STR. But still, up to you.

For traits, I recommend Strong Arm, Supple Wrist and Pragmatic Activator.

For feats/talents, you want:

1. Point-Blank Shot
3. Weapon Focus (Dagger) // IT: Quick Study
5. Ranged Study // IT: Domino Effect
7. Precise Shot // IT: Amazing Inspiration
9. Quick Draw // IT: Combat Inspiration
11. Close-Quarters Thrower // IT: Timed Strike

Just as a suggestion of course.

I really like this build. The main problem I am seeing at the moment stems from dagger damage and having to enchant multiple daggers if I want to use magic weapon abilities on them. I really love the flavor though. I would like it more if I could pump as much damage as I could into them while coupling them with disables/blinds/ect.

I am also considering a 1 level dip into Inspired Blade Swashbuckler for the Rapier bonuses. Is this dip worth it?