PDA

View Full Version : Ways to reduce spell failure chance on pre-existing armor

SangoProduction
2015-04-14, 04:19 PM
Yeah, at level 1, I bought this really cool armor that, given a masterwork quality, had 0 armor check penalty and a +6 to max dexterity bonus, and a really good amount of armor, plus it didn't look like armor - the single largest factor to me wanting it, lol.
Here I am at level 7 wanting to multiclass into a sorcerer, already having enchanted this item, and would you believe it, it has a 40% spell failure chance. Like what in the hell?
It is made partially of leather and chain mail, and my DM is letting me weave into it shadow silk (reducing my penalty by 15% in non-sunlight conditions), but not replace the metal part, because it's been custom fit.

Psyren
2015-04-14, 05:18 PM
Why are you going for sorcerer 7 levels in? And what class(es) are you right now?

Keltest
2015-04-14, 05:23 PM
Why are you going for sorcerer 7 levels in? And what class(es) are you right now?

Im going to assume he is a rogue or other stealth class if he needs Dex and a low ACP.

Personally I would just keep the armor on for a while. Theres almost certainly no way that your 1st level sorcerer spells are going to be more useful than your armor unless you act as a pure caster.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-14, 05:25 PM

1) This ^
2) The twilight enchantment reduces spell failure by 20% IIRC.

Asrrin
2015-04-14, 05:42 PM
Thistledown Suit increases ACP by 1 but decreases ASF by 5%, costs 250gp.

Jeraa
2015-04-14, 06:42 PM
Try to avoid spells with somatic components. ASF only applies to spells with somatic components.

SangoProduction
2015-04-14, 07:16 PM
OK guys. Thanks for your help. I got the answer from another website. Basically, I should ditch my armor, because I'd be investing 10x more than I already did just to make it usable.

Keltest
2015-04-14, 07:30 PM
OK guys. Thanks for your help. I got the answer from another website. Basically, I should ditch my armor, because I'd be investing 10x more than I already did just to make it usable.

Personally I think youre better off keeping it for a while, since youre going to be pretty useless with your level 1 sorcerer spells fighting encounters meant for a ~ level 8 party.

atemu1234
2015-04-14, 07:53 PM
I think between three of the above you have -40%.

sideswipe
2015-04-14, 07:59 PM
how heavy is your armour? if its light then i believe a single feat gets rid of that ASF. battle casterf i think its called.

Keltest
2015-04-14, 08:16 PM
how heavy is your armour? if its light then i believe a single feat gets rid of that ASF. battle casterf i think its called.

My knowledge is hazy, but I believe that's only available to classes who can already cast in some form of armor.

sideswipe
2015-04-14, 08:20 PM
My knowledge is hazy, but I believe that's only available to classes who can already cast in some form of armor.

after looking you are correct

Psyren
2015-04-14, 08:56 PM
Personally I think youre better off keeping it for a while, since youre going to be pretty useless with your level 1 sorcerer spells fighting encounters meant for a ~ level 8 party.

This - your spells are going to be useless anyway, so you might as well keep the armor. (Though I/we still have no idea why you wanted to multiclass sorcerer at that level in the first place.)

Bronk
2015-04-14, 09:10 PM
This armor has a 'high' armor bonus and a 40% ACF... But, it is non magical, has +6 max dex, made from leather and chain, and is as unobtrusive as celestial armor?

Sounds 'light' to me! If so, have you considered the 'battle sorcerer' variant class? They can wear light armor with no issues.