PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Is A Big Place

GreatWyrmGold
2015-04-14, 07:56 PM
I want to say this, but I don't know where. I decided here, as you can tell.

Fanfiction.net's tracks traffic to fics you write, quantity, country, and so on. I checked recently, and was floored by how many and how wide my audience was. My biggest story has over a thousand viewers so far this month from the US alone--that's just a number. A massive majority of the rest naturally come from Canada, the UK, and Australia (AKA most of the other major English-speaking nations; no idea why almost no [not-Northern] Irish read it), but quite a number came from all corners of the Earth. Various corners of Europe, the Caribbean, Israel and South Africa, Somalia and China...

The Internet is a big place. Makes me feel insignificant...

Donnadogsoth
2015-04-15, 10:01 AM
I want to say this, but I don't know where. I decided here, as you can tell.

Fanfiction.net's tracks traffic to fics you write, quantity, country, and so on. I checked recently, and was floored by how many and how wide my audience was. My biggest story has over a thousand viewers so far this month from the US alone--that's just a number. A massive majority of the rest naturally come from Canada, the UK, and Australia (AKA most of the other major English-speaking nations; no idea why almost no [not-Northern] Irish read it), but quite a number came from all corners of the Earth. Various corners of Europe, the Caribbean, Israel and South Africa, Somalia and China...

The Internet is a big place. Makes me feel insignificant...

I've never heard of a feeling of insignificance coming in proportion to one's popularity. Would you feel less insignificant if no one had read your story?

SarahV
2015-04-15, 10:55 AM
I know what you mean. Last time I checked my (not-amazingly-popular) blog had gotten hits from over 120 countries. :smalleek: Sometimes I wonder who they are and how they found my site. Most of them are just single page views, so I guess they are just accidents of googling and not, e.g., random Africans who genuinely want to read my opinions on avant-garde jazz. But I guess you never know.

It's very interesting to think of what a wide audience you might be touching, even if only lightly. :smallsmile: