PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Commander (3.P class, PEACH)

Jormengand
2015-04-14, 08:02 PM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/war-of-omens/images/9/9a/Leadthecharge.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/210?cb=20140711132837
Men will always fight harder for a lord with battle scars.
- Sister Ysadora, War of Omens

Sometimes, it's okay to have four highly skilled, highly dangerous individuals waltz into battle going their separate ways, each playing to their own strengths. Other times, however, the battle needs to be co-ordinated by an individual who knows not just what he or she is doing, but what everyone else in the team is doing as well. That way, the fighter can stop going up and hitting things which the wizard was about to fireball, which would have given away the rogue's position if he had. Welcome to...

The Commander
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Tactics known
Orders known
Maximum Tactic/Order level
1st+1+2+2+0Tactics, Orders
2nd+2+3+3+0Order Ability
3rd+3+3+3+1Extra Tactics (2)
4th+4+4+4+1Order Ability
5th+5+4+4+1Strategem
6th+6/+1+5+5+2Order Ability
7th+7/+2+5+5+2Extra Tactics (3)
8th+8/+3+6+6+2Extra Order Ability
9th+9/+4+6+6+3Strategem
10th+10/+5+7+7+3Order Ability
11th+11/+6/+1+7+7+3Extra Tactics (4)
12th+12/+7/+2+8+8+4Order Ability
13th+13/+8/+3+8+8+4Strategem
14th+14/+9/+4+9+9+4Order Ability
15th+15/+10/+5+9+9+5Extra Tactics (5)
16th+16/+11/+6/+1+10+10+5Extra Order Ability
17th+17/+12/+7/+2+10+10+5Strategem
18th+18/+13/+8/+3+11+11+6Order Ability
19th+19/+14/+9/+4+11+11+6Extra Tactics (6)
20th+20/+15/+10/+5+12+12+6Grand Strategem, Order Ability

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

{This is 3.5 content and does not exist in PF}
[This is PF content and does not exist in 3.5]

Class Skills:
The class skills of the commander (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), {Listen (Wis)}, [Perception (Wis)], Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), {Search (Int)}, Sense Motive (Wis) and {Spot (Wis)}.
{Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4}
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

The following are all class features of the commander.

Weapon and armour proficiency
Commanders are proficient in all types of armour and shields, including tower shields, and with simple and martial weapons.

Tactics (Ex)
The commander can use a single tactic at once, and knows a single tactic per level, each time to a maximum level given on Table: the Commander. Tactics need no action or effort to keep up. Commanders who know more than one tactic can switch which tactic they wish to use as a free action on their turn.

Tactics aid allies within 60 feet of the commander.

Orders (Ex)
The commander is capable of giving an order of first level, and gains an order of the next level at fourth level and every fourth level after. Orders require standard actions to give, but grant a short boost to all allies within 60 feet of the commander when she gives the order. Orders must be verbally communicated to such allies.

Order Ability
Every second level, the commander gains a new order ability with which she can modify her orders. For example, she could give an order silently to aid in a stealthy assault. She can only apply one order ability to each order.

At eighth and sixteenth level, the commander doesn't get another order ability but can instead use an extra one on each order.

Extra tactics
From third level, and every fourth level thereafter, the commander can use an extra tactic at once. She can change as many as she likes at the same time.

Stratagem (Ex)
From 5th level, the commander can prepare a single stratagem per day. Unlike orders, stratagems are not learned but prepared, similar to how a wizard prepares spells. A stratagem can only be revealed once per day, unlike orders and tactics which can be given and used all day. However, stratagems have great impact on how the battle runs. They are revealed as a standard action.

Every fourth level after fifth, she can prepare another stratagem, or another copy of the same stratagem.

Grand Stratagem (Ex)
At 20th level, the commander can prepare a single grand stratagem from the grand stratagems list. She reveals this as a standard action, like other stratagems.

Tactics

Tactics grant circumstance bonuses based on the commander's class level, plus her intelligence bonus. This is sometimes referred to as the command bonus, but usually just as "Bonus".

Level 1

Perfect Balance: Bonus on Autohypnosis, {Balance} and Concentration checks.
Resolute Smite: Bonus on weapon/unarmed damage rolls.
Search Party: Bonus on {Spot, Listen and Search} [Perception] checks.
Team Appraisal: Bonus on Appraise checks and checks to identify items.
They Will Never See Us: Bonus on {Hide and Move Silently} [Stealth] Checks.
Unhindered Passage: Bonus on Climb, [Fly,] Jump and Swim checks.

Level 2

Combat Tricks: Bonus on [CMB but not CMD] {Checks made to make a Bull Rush, Disarm, Feint, Grapple Overrun, Pin, Sunder or Trip}
Defence From Trickery: Bonus on [CMD] {Checks made to resist a Bull Rush, Disarm, Feint, Grapple Overrun, Pin, Sunder or Trip}
Dynamic Entry: Bonus on damage dealt by falling on people and double bonus as DR/non-falling damage.
Lightning War: Bonus on movement speed (Rounding down to nearest 5 ft)
Warrior's Aim: Bonus on attack rolls.

Level 3

Far Strike: Bonus to projectile weapon range increment, one half bonus to thrown weapon range increment (Round down to next 5 ft).
Fighter's Resolve: One third bonus on fortitude saves.
Medical Support: Bonus on hit point healing.
Shield Wall: Bonus to armour class.
Psion's Focus: One third bonus on will saves.
Rogue's Agility: One third bonus on reflex saves.

Level 4

Close-up Conjuring: Bonus on damage-dealing spell damage.
Energy Block: Bonus on resistance to everything.
Irresistible Force: One third bonus on spell save DCs.
Searing Strikes: Attacks ignore DR and resistance equal to the command bonus, and deal minimum damage equal to the command bonus or the attack's base damage, whichever is lower.
Undying Legion: Bonus on DR/-.
Universal Ability: Bonus on skill checks.

Level 5

Arcane Power: One half bonus on caster level; one quarter bonus on caster level limits (such as fireball's 10d6 damage limit, which is increased by 1d6 per 4 points of command bonus).
Destructive Impulse: One half bonus to base attack bonus, allowing recipients to claim more than four attacks for high base attack bonuses.
Ground Control: Half bonus on reach (Round down to nearest 5 ft).
Lead the Charge: Bonus on initiative rolls.
Opportune Moment: One quarter bonus on number of attacks of opportunity per round.

Level 6

Infinite Prowess: Bonus on D20 rolls.
It Will Not Die: One fifth bonus on fast healing.
Second Wind: Everyone gets a re-roll on a d20 roll which can be used without spending an action, but only once per round. The reroll adds the command bonus.

Orders

Orders use the command bonus of level + INT modifier the same way that tactics do, and last for a number of rounds equal to half your command bonus unless otherwise specified (unless, of course, the ability doesn't need a duration). This duration is called the command duration.

Level 1

Fire on My Target: Allies ignore cover for duration.
Go for the Throat: Allies entitled to sneak attack damage (regardless of having the ability or not) deal 1 bonus damage per point of command bonus for duration.

Level 2

Get down: Allies get double bonus from cover and concealment for duration.
Stop their Spells: Allied damage dealt is counted double for concentration checks for duration.

Level 3

Get Back In The Fight: Allies immediately re-save with half bonus against hostile ongoing effects which allow saves.
Keep Trying: Allies can re-roll one die during duration.

Level 4

Move, Move, Move: Allies get an extra move action to spend immediately as they please.
Shrug it Off: Allies stop being restricted in their actions by effects mundane or magical; they can take their full allotment of actions and use them normally.

Level 5

I Will Guide You: Allies know things you or each other can see or hear just as though they could too.
Get Back In The Fight: Allies get back up from unconsciousness to act for half the command duration, but must be restored to consciousness normally for a second Get Back In The Fight to work.

Level 6

Take Them Down: Allies get an extra standard action to spend immediately as they please. You get a move action instead. No-one can get more than one extra action from this more than once per turn.
Try Harder: Allies roll each die or set of dice of any type twice and take the better result for the duration.

Order Abilities

Chain Order: Anyone within 60 feet gives the order instead.
Delayed Order: Order is delayed for a set number of rounds.
Enlarge Order: Order affects those twice as far away.
Extended Order: Order lasts twice as long.
Mighty Order: Order has quintuple range, but requires a standard action each round to keep active and only works if it has a duration.
Powerful Order: Command bonus for order is increased by int modifier.
Quickened Order: Order is swift action but only if you can give order three levels higher. (Requires 4th-level orders).
Silent Order: Communicate order visually instead of verbally, meaning it's silent.

Stratagems

Some stratagems use the command bonus and command duration just like orders do.

Jink: You and your allies dodge, block or otherwise evade all attacks until the start of your next turn.
Let it Burn: You set a portion of the area within 60 feet of you ablaze with pre-constructed fire traps. The fire burns for a duration up to the command duration, chosen by you when you reveal the stratagem.
Playing Dead: An ally who died within the last round or is unconscious but alive is revealed to have been only faking it, and regains hit points equal to your command bonus.
Release the Hounds: Suddenly, a number of dogs equal to your command bonus appear from hiding and start attacking your enemies until hounds or foes are dead. You choose where the dogs come from, but they must have some kind of cover or concealment to enter from. Surviving dogs then dissipate.
Smoke and Mirrors: Your allies appear to be 1d6*5 feet from their actual location, and have total concealment even if a foe knows where they are, for the command duration.
Suddenly Apparent Trap: A trap with CR no greater than half your command bonus is triggered by a foe. You choose the trap when you reveal the stratagem.

Grand Stratagems

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Hunt of Ravaging Wolves: Suddenly, a number of wolves equal to your command bonus appear from hiding and start attacking your enemies until lupines or foes are dead. You choose where the wolves come from, but they must have some kind of cover or concealment to enter from. Surviving wolves then dissipate.
Plan of Magic Knowledge: Allies who can cast spells can cast a number of spell levels (Cantrips count as half) equal to half the command bonus for nothing today. Manifesters instead get a number of free power points equal to the command bonus.
Scheme of Fast Movement: Allies immediately take an additional turn each in any order.
Weapon of Instant Death: You reveal a weapon that slays an enemy within 60 feet unless they pass a fortitude save (DC = command bonus).

Feats

Double Ability: Use two order abilities at once.
Quickspeech: You can use a quickened order of one higher level.
Spontaneous Stratagem (Epic): You don't prepare your stratagems, you just reveal them.
Stratagem Swap: You can spend fifteen minutes to swap a prepared stratagem for another one.
Twin Tactics: Use a second half-effective tactic at the same time as your first.
Wide tactics: Use tactics to affect allies who are further away.

Double ability
You can modify your orders in more ways than one
Prerequisites: Two order abilities.
Benefit: You can use two order abilities on the same order.

Quickspeech
You can make more effective quickened orders
Prerequisites: Quickened order order ability.
Benefit: You can use a quickened order of one higher level than you could normally.
Special: You can take this feat twice. Its effects stack.

Stratagem Swap
You can re-prepare stratagems to account for changing situations
Prerequisites: Stratagem class feature.
Benefit: You can spend 15 minutes to un-prepare a stratagem and prepare a new one in this place.
Special: You cannot change your grand stratagem in this way.

Spontaneous Stratagem [Epic]
You don't need to prepare your stratagems - you always know what you need and when you need it.
Prerequisites: Stratagem swap, INT 30, character level 21st
Benefit: You don't need to prepare stratagems. Instead, you can simply use a stratagem as many times per day as you could have prepared one.
Special: You cannot use a spontaneous grand stratagem in this way but your stratagem swap now applies to your grand stratagem.

Twin tactics
You can use two tactics as one.
Prerequisites: Must have access to two tactics.
Benefit: You can use a second tactic at once, treating your command bonus as being half its actual value for the second tactic.
Special: You can change both your tactics at once. You can choose each round which tactic is the first and which the second.

Wide tactics
You know how to use tactics over a wide area
Prerequisites: Tactics class feature, character level 6th
Benefit: Your tactics affect twice the normal area.
Special: You can take wide tactics again every fifth level after 6th. Its effects stack additively.

So yeah. That's it. Plzrate+comment.

Jormengand
2015-04-17, 04:52 AM
Anyone? :smallfrown:

roko10
2015-04-17, 11:22 AM
So, this is essentially Marshal on steroids.

I love it. :smallbiggrin:

I couldn't really comment on the balance, since I'm terrible at it, but it looks like it's balanced for mid-high tier 3.

JKTrickster
2015-04-17, 01:37 PM
Holy ****.

So I was going through the Tactics and Orders and thinking - "Oh I like what I see".

Then I see the stratagems and I REALLY like what I see.

I was wondering how this class scales into higher levels but damn. I like it!

Mendicant
2015-04-17, 07:16 PM
I really like this, though I'm not really a big fan of the dog/wolf summoning. At fifth level, the dogs just showing up and attacking, and then dissipating, is more immersion-breaking to me than the other stratagems, even if a copse that's been full of hidden attack dogs the whole time isn't really more outlandish than the other abilities available. At twentieth level, it just doesn't seem powerful enough, even with the crazy attack bonuses you could be stacking on them. If you were calling in a bunch of flying animals I think this would be a bit more solid of a choice. (And less immersion breaking, too. "I told my allies, the great eagles, to strike our common foe when I gave the signal" is much easier for me to mind-caulk than "bwahahaha, my platoon of wolves has been hiding in those bushes THE WHOLE TIME!"

More importantly than the immersion or power aspect though, is the time suck that 7 to 20+ dogs or wolves are going to represent. That's just a lot of rolls to go through, even if they're all dead in a round or two.

Edit:
Just a thought, but if you want to be able to throw a bunch of minions at your enemies, which is a really reasonable desire with a commander class, maybe bake in an extra-planar patron? Someone with such great talent as a commander could reasonably be expected to draw the attention of a god or infernal patron, and even a commander who isn't interested in being part of anybody's crusade might still get loaner minions from the god of war, who just wants to see what the commander will do with them. This way, you're still getting minions, you can get a few more powerful ones instead of a huge number of weak ones that'll bog things down, and it doesn't technically make the commander a spellcaster while still giving world-influencing power in line with a caster's.

bcool999
2015-04-22, 11:59 AM
So umm... is the bonus this guy gives class level + int to whatever the heck he is giving a bonus to?

Jormengand
2015-04-22, 12:07 PM
So umm... is the bonus this guy gives class level + int to whatever the heck he is giving a bonus to?

Yes.

[Tactics grant circumstance bonuses based on the commander's class level, plus her intelligence bonus. This is sometimes referred to as the command bonus, but usually just as "Bonus".

Orders use the command bonus of level + INT modifier the same way that tactics do, and last for a number of rounds equal to half your command bonus

Some stratagems use the command bonus

Though some things only use part of the command bonus so they're not OP as hell.

Fighter's Resolve: One third bonus on fortitude saves.
Psion's Focus: One third bonus on will saves.
Rogue's Agility: One third bonus on reflex saves.
Irresistible Force: One third bonus on spell save DCs.
Arcane Power: One half bonus on caster level; one quarter bonus on caster level limits (such as fireball's 10d6 damage limit, which is increased by 1d6 per 4 points of command bonus).
Destructive Impulse: One half bonus to base attack bonus, allowing recipients to claim more than four attacks for high base attack bonuses.
Ground Control: Half bonus on reach (Round down to nearest 5 ft).
Opportune Moment: One quarter bonus on number of attacks of opportunity per round.
It Will Not Die: One fifth bonus on fast healing.
Orders... last for a number of rounds equal to half your command bonus unless otherwise specified (unless, of course, the ability doesn't need a duration). This duration is called the command duration.
Get Back In The Fight: Allies immediately re-save with half bonus against hostile ongoing effects which allow saves.
Suddenly Apparent Trap: A trap with CR no greater than half your command bonus is triggered by a foe. You choose the trap when you reveal the stratagem.
Plan of Magic Knowledge: Allies who can cast spells can cast a number of spell levels (Cantrips count as half) equal to half the command bonus for nothing today. Manifesters instead get a number of free power points equal to the command bonus.

One thing uses double the command bonus.

Dynamic Entry: Bonus on damage dealt by falling on people and double bonus as DR/non-falling damage.

bcool999
2015-04-22, 12:13 PM
For some things that is kinda crazy. I like it, but it would annoy the heck out of a DM to have the whole party get class level + int bonus to AC as a passive all day ability... Especially considering that it is a circumstance bonus to AC and thus stacks with everything that normally adds to AC.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2015-04-24, 08:44 AM
Nice. I like this one. I would be willing to try this one out one day.

Although I think that it should have an INT requirement for the access of the tactics and the orders. Much the same as a Paladin, Cleric, or Wizard would have. I know that it's kind of a moot point since the orders and the tactics are based off of INT in the first place, but it helps with flavor and with reasoning. After all, I would find it difficult that a nobody with 8 Int. could make all of those tactics, let alone a Grand Stratagem.

ezkajii
2015-04-25, 12:11 PM
Is there any limit to the number of times per day you can issue an order? Or could you just continually renew it as soon as it expires?

Jormengand
2015-04-25, 12:27 PM
I've always thought the minimum int to cast spells was a bit redundant when you were going to have high int anyway. Given the fact that this entire class is based around int, it seems like extra words that don't do anything and I want to avoid that.

Unlike martial initiators, the commander doesn't suddenly forget how to order people once he's done it. Stratagems need to be prepared in advance and only work once because the resources have by that point been expended, but orders can be given forever without fear of running out of vocal chords.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2015-04-26, 02:11 AM
I've always thought the minimum int to cast spells was a bit redundant when you were going to have high int anyway. Given the fact that this entire class is based around int, it seems like extra words that don't do anything and I want to avoid that.

Unlike martial initiators, the commander doesn't suddenly forget how to order people once he's done it. Stratagems need to be prepared in advance and only work once because the resources have by that point been expended, but orders can be given forever without fear of running out of vocal chords.

O.K. I can understand that.

So, a Silence spell would be absolutely crippling for this class? Ouch.

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 10:57 AM
So, a Silence spell would be absolutely crippling for this class? Ouch.

Same as with wizard/sorcerer, except that your tactics and stratagems don't need sound, and...

Chain Order: Anyone within 60 feet gives the order instead.
Silent Order: Communicate order visually instead of verbally, meaning it's silent.

These are both things. They don't alter your order level (only quickened requires that it be three levels below the one you can give).

Randomguy
2015-04-29, 01:13 PM
I like it. It's kind of similar to Dragon Shaman crunch wise, but without making people sad!

A few additions to the list of Orders couldn't hurt. As it is, at any level you end up knowing all the orders available to you except 1, there wouldn't be a whole lot of variety between Commanders.

Maybe homebrew up a couple feats for it? I'd love a feat that expanded the range that Tactics work at.

Jormengand
2015-04-29, 01:40 PM
I like it. It's kind of similar to Dragon Shaman crunch wise, but without making people sad!

A few additions to the list of Orders couldn't hurt. As it is, at any level you end up knowing all the orders available to you except 1, there wouldn't be a whole lot of variety between Commanders.

Maybe homebrew up a couple feats for it? I'd love a feat that expanded the range that Tactics work at.

Made a couple more feats, but can't think of good orders right this moment. Suggestions?

Randomguy
2015-04-29, 04:28 PM
Made a couple more feats, but can't think of good orders right this moment. Suggestions?

How about a "Reload" order that grants an extra full round action that can only be used to reload siege weapons?

Maybe some seafarer captain themed orders? I haven't read Stormwrack, so I can't think of anything in particular.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2015-04-29, 10:45 PM

Well maybe a bonus for everyone taking the same action? i.e. Everyone who attacks and hits the same target gets bonuses to attack bonus, damage, and can stun the enemy. (Possible Name: Focus Fire)
Maybe one that provides a Skirmish bonus like the Sneak Attack one? (Possible Name: Hit-and-Run)

Randomguy
2015-07-20, 11:31 AM
So, I just noticed that 2 Commanders, both with "Take Them Down", can give a third person (or multiple people) infinite actions. Maybe add something saying that no one can benefit from that order more than once per round?

Jormengand
2015-07-20, 12:06 PM
So, I just noticed that 2 Commanders, both with "Take Them Down", can give a third person (or multiple people) infinite actions. Maybe add something saying that no one can benefit from that order more than once per round?

Uh, yeah, that's a good idea.

Elandris Kajar
2015-08-07, 07:52 PM
Is there a tier estimate for this class?

Silva Stormrage
2015-08-08, 12:32 AM
Oh ya I really like this class. I will do an in depth review of the orders probably tomorrow but this looks really good. Love the fluff and the marshal is just such a disappointing class in execution I am glad that you did this :smallsmile:

One thing I will note is this class is just absolutely brutal in gestalt, not that you should balance around that :smalltongue: Step aside Factotum a new passive int king is in town!