PDA

View Full Version : How to make a bear into a character

Temennigru
2015-04-14, 09:42 PM
I would very much like to make the sir bearington (http://imgur.com/r/gametales/tAV3wHl) build.
I understand that there is a rule to making monsters into races (for example, centaur npcs have 18 str, but centaur (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/centaur.htm) characters have +8 str). How would I make a black bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBlack.htm) into a character?
Could I perhaps take most of the stuff from centaurs (such as LA) and remove the monstrous humanoid benefits?

Jeraa
2015-04-14, 11:39 PM
Subtract 10 from even scores and 11 from odd scores to get the ability modifiers. So +8 Strength, +4 Con, +2 Dex and Wis, -4 Cha, and -8 Int.

3d8 racial hit dice (plus the skills, feats, saves, and BAB that go along with them).

2 claw attacks (1d4 each) and a bite (1d6). +2 natural armor, +4 on swim checks, low light vision, and scent. Medium size and 40 foot speed.

Temennigru
2015-04-14, 11:49 PM
What about LA?

ezkajii
2015-04-15, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately there's no formula to determine LA, you/the DM will have to adjudicate that. I would recommend comparing the benefits of being a black bear vs. an anthropomorphic black bear (savage species) and use the anthro's LA as a reference point.

LibraryOgre
2015-04-15, 12:36 PM
IMO, the 3 racial HD are enough of a penalty; no need to pile LA on top of it. But, then, that never stopped WotC

Temennigru
2015-04-15, 07:01 PM
IMO, the 3 racial HD are enough of a penalty; no need to pile LA on top of it. But, then, that never stopped WotC

I thought racial hit die was a bonus... Now I know I don't understand what they do. Could you please explain?

Also, the table at the black bear page says 0 LA, so I guess it's 0. I picked 2 because of the 2 BAB, but now I guess I was wrong.

LibraryOgre
2015-04-15, 07:15 PM
I thought racial hit die was a bonus... Now I know I don't understand what they do. Could you please explain?

Also, the table at the black bear page says 0 LA, so I guess it's 0. I picked 2 because of the 2 BAB, but now I guess I was wrong.

Your beginning effective level is RHD + ECL. So, if you have 4 RHD, a +2CL, and 1 level of a PC class, your level is 7.... in theory, you're on par with a 7th level character, be he barbarian, bard, or bear.

Now, with some RHD, that's not bad. Dragon and Outsider, while not on par with a PC class, are at least on par with non-sucky NPC classes. Animal or Magical Beast RHD, however, kinda suck.

Jeraa
2015-04-15, 09:12 PM

LA: - is not the same thing as LA: +0. LA: - means the creature is unsuitable for use as a player character or a cohort.

Racial hit dice take the place of a level. Effecively, the 3 RHD bear has 3 levels in the "Animal" class. Racial hit dice are added to a creatures level adjustment and number of class levels to determine what his effective level is.