PDA

View Full Version : Weirdstone vs Portable Hole

Clistenes
2015-04-15, 04:31 AM
A Weirdstone blocks all teleportation and dimensional travel in a 6 miles radius, but the space within a Portable Hole is an extradimensional subspace that isn't properly there, so...

If an enemy smuggles it into a Weirdstone-protected area, can he open the Portable Hole, enter it, and start Gating Balors and summoning Elemental Monoliths?

And if not, what if an ally closes the entrance of the Portable Hole from outside? (forget the need to breath, there are ways around that).

What if you carry a permanent Portal in your Portable Hole, would that work?

I find it weird that a 20,000 gp portable hole can defeat a 230,000 gp weirdstone.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-15, 04:41 AM
According to MotP "all extradimensional spaces that function like planes but have measurable size and limited access" are demiplanes.
As such opening and moving to an extradimensional space is planar travel, and is blocked by a weirdstone. So no Portable Hole.

The rules say nothing about nondimensional spaces though (like a Bag of Holding), at least not that i've found.

atemu1234
2015-04-15, 06:58 AM
According to MotP "all extradimensional spaces that function like planes but have measurable size and limited access" are demiplanes.
As such opening and moving to an extradimensional space is planar travel, and is blocked by a weirdstone. So no Portable Hole.

The rules say nothing about nondimensional spaces though (like a Bag of Holding), at least not that i've found.

True, but can you open a portal in a bag of holding?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-15, 07:57 AM
True, but can you open a portal in a bag of holding?

That depends. Is the nondimensional space of a Bag of Holding coterminous to any of the transitive planes? The rules don't say one way or another.

I'd say no because that makes sense to me, which means that no spell that relies on other planes would function there, which includes summoning and calling spells and effects. But i haven't found any clear RAW on nondimensional spaces in that regard.

Clistenes
2015-04-15, 11:49 AM

Good point. I wonder if Tippy has thought of a way to combine Portals or permanent Circles of Teleportation with the Weirdstone's defensive properties.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-04-15, 03:02 PM
I think you can extrapolate an answer from a Bag of Devouring.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-15, 04:36 PM
I think you can extrapolate an answer from a Bag of Devouring.
The Bag of Devouring is extradimensional.

Zweisteine
2015-04-15, 06:04 PM
Extradimensional and nondimensional spaces are likely one and the same (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/37842/what-is-the-difference-between-non-dimensional-space-and-extra-dimensional-space).

Cruiser1
2015-04-15, 06:06 PM
According to MotP "all extradimensional spaces that function like planes but have measurable size and limited access" are demiplanes. As such opening and moving to an extradimensional space is planar travel, and is blocked by a weirdstone. So no Portable Hole.
An extradimensional space is indeed a small demiplane. A Portable Hole is a unique small demiplane, with a small mobile portal attached to the magic object that leads into it.

A non-dimensional space is not a separate plane. Instead, a non-dimensional space is extra space generated by stretching or wrinkling the fabric of space itself. A Bag of Holding contains an extra fold in space, which can be moved around via the magic object. Therefore a Bag of Holding won't be affected by a weirdstone since no planar travel is involved, however like most magic items it (and access to its wrinkle in space) will be shut down by an antimagic field or a dead magic plane.

Clistenes
2015-04-16, 04:16 AM
A non-dimensional space is not a separate plane. Instead, a non-dimensional space is extra space generated by stretching or wrinkling the fabric of space itself. A Bag of Holding contains an extra fold in space, which can be moved around via the magic object. Therefore a Bag of Holding won't be affected by a weirdstone since no planar travel is involved, however like most magic items it (and access to its wrinkle in space) will be shut down by an antimagic field or a dead magic plane.

Yes, but, would a creature inside of the Bag be able to Teleport/Plane Shift/Gate?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-16, 04:48 AM
Yes, but, would a creature inside of the Bag be able to Teleport/Plane Shift/Gate?

If you go with Cruiser1's definition then no, since it's not coterminous to any of the transitive planes (because it's not a real space it can't be). At best it would operate under the same conditions as the location of the entrance, which would still leave it blocked by a weirdstone or similar effect.

Even for extradimensional spaces it's highly questionable if they're coterminous to the Astral/Ethereal.

Considering the potential for abuse and lack of actual non-cheesy uses i'd say that extra- and nondimensional spaces (if you treat them as different) are not, but it's never explicitly stated afaik.

Feddlefew
2015-04-16, 04:54 AM
If you go with Cruiser1's definition then no, since it's not coterminous to any of the transitive planes (because it's not a real space it can't be). At best it would operate under the same conditions as the location of the entrance, which would still leave it blocked by a weirdstone or similar effect.

Even for extradimensional spaces it's highly questionable if they're coterminous to the Astral/Ethereal.

Considering the potential for abuse and lack of actual non-cheesy uses i'd say that extra- and nondimensional spaces (if you treat them as different) are not, but it's never explicitly stated afaik.

Adding to this, I believe the interaction between potable holes, bags of holding and effects that portals or rifts is an implosion that destroys the bag or hole's contents and sucks the surrounding space into the astral plane.

I don't know of any official ruling regarding teleportation and summoning effects, though.