PDA

View Full Version : About Grey Renders

DraPrime
2007-04-14, 11:46 PM
So I was looking through MM and I noticed that apparently they reproduce asexually. They only have one child in their life. In that case their population never increases. But every time someone kills a Grey Render their population is permanently decreased. This doesn't make any sense. They shouldn't even exist as a species anymore. What do you think of this?

Dhavaer
2007-04-14, 11:49 PM
What do you think of this?

They aren't as bad as the Ocampa.

Aren't Grey Renders magically created anyway? Or am I remembering something else?

thorgrim29
2007-04-14, 11:52 PM
In a world where flying horses lay eggs, I'm not surprised by anything, but odds are the render will have already reproduced when you kill it I guess, it still does'nt make sense from an evolutionnary point of view.

averagejoe
2007-04-15, 12:00 AM
Hmmmm. We should start a "save the grey renders" organization.

Dhavaer
2007-04-15, 12:04 AM
Hmmmm. We should start a "save the grey renders" organization.

I'm sure we could get wizards to adopt them if we find a way to make them imprint.

Tyrael
2007-04-15, 12:09 AM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5326/untitled1dl1.png

....oh, you meant a different grey render?

Dhavaer
2007-04-15, 12:16 AM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5326/untitled1dl1.png

....oh, you meant a different grey render?

That looked vaguely like a bipedal Andalite.

MobiusKlein
2007-04-15, 12:34 AM
Well Timmy, when a Black Render and a White Render love each other very much, they go to a private place and . . .

Rowanomicon
2007-04-15, 12:55 AM
Maybe they never die of old age. In that case their population would be constantly growing at a constant rate.
However since they sometimes die form other things that rate is slowly slowing.
If they can die of old age then whoever came up with the idea of them reproducing asexually and only 1/life didn't think it through to well.

averagejoe
2007-04-15, 01:00 AM
Well Timmy, when a Black Render and a White Render love each other very much, they go to a private place and . . .

Or sometimes when they don't, but one of them is willing to pay, or they're really drunk...

Assassinfox
2007-04-15, 01:03 AM
Save the Grey Renders!

Jasdoif
2007-04-15, 02:47 AM
So I was looking through MM and I noticed that apparently they reproduce asexually. They only have one child in their life. In that case their population never increases. But every time someone kills a Grey Render their population is permanently decreased. This doesn't make any sense. They shouldn't even exist as a species anymore. What do you think of this?Now, when I read the description I thought it meant they only have one child at a time. Nothing in there makes me think they only have one child for their entire doomed-to-be-ended-by-an-adventurer lives.

Aren't Grey Renders magically created anyway? Or am I remembering something else?You might be thinking of the Gray Glutton.

bosssmiley
2007-04-15, 08:50 AM
You might be thinking of the Gray Glutton.

Heh, mage (or was is Psion?) killing Grey Renders. Gotta love an entire species who'se raison de etre is to whomp on a specific character class. Personally I thought GRs were just created from previous edition Umber Hulks who got embarrassed being so goofy-looking and filed down their bug-like mandibles.

"He's a four-eyed, cuboid, mining umber people eater..."

DraPrime
2007-04-15, 09:00 AM
Save the awesome monster that could be wiped out!!!

Ranis
2007-04-15, 09:05 AM
Hm, well, I guess that time I gave the Half-Illithid template to a Gray Render really didn't make sense.

DraPrime
2007-04-15, 01:09 PM
Definitely.

averagejoe
2007-04-15, 01:17 PM
Now, when I read the description I thought it meant they only have one child at a time. Nothing in there makes me think they only have one child for their entire doomed-to-be-ended-by-an-adventurer lives.

That's probably just because you're one of those nay-sayers who would have us do nothing as the grey render is wiped out! We must stand firm and ensure the survival of this noble creature.

MegasquidMan
2007-04-15, 02:01 PM
Hm, well, I guess that time I gave the Half-Illithid template to a Gray Render really didn't make sense.

Perhaps... maybe that's why WotC made a Half-Farspawn Grey Render in Lords of Madness... it's tougher... and maybe they can reproduce more easilly that way.

Intervening evolution, everyone ^___^

asqwasqw
2007-04-15, 02:15 PM
Grey Renders are vicious creatures who deserve to by wiped out. Kill the Grey Renders!

averagejoe
2007-04-15, 02:30 PM
No, they're just largely misunderstood! asqwasqw and his unpronouncable name just want to profit off of their hides and the oil that can be rendered from their fat!

asqwasqw
2007-04-15, 02:34 PM
mmm, fat. I mean, mmm, money. And for you information, my name is very pronouncable. You just need to have different vocal cords, thats all. If you were a shapechanger, this would never have happened. And they aren't misunderstood, just mean. One kept biting me until I poked out all it's eyes (he started it, cough, cough *shifty gaze*). How do they reproduce asexually, anyways?

MegasquidMan
2007-04-15, 03:13 PM
If they reproduce asexually, that means that it doesn't need a mate to make babies. It gets pregnant "when the time comes", kinda like the Draks in Enemy Mine.

Or, for a more realistic way of seeing it, like Whiptail Lizards in Arizona. They are female only, so they are able to make babies/clones by means of self-impregnantion (two females perform "fake mating" in order to stimulate the right bodily chemicals for self-fertilization).

asqwasqw
2007-04-15, 03:35 PM
No, I know what asexual reproduction is, I want to know how they do it. Do they bud? Do they split? Do they give live birth? Actually, on second thought, I don't want to know.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-04-15, 03:42 PM
I have this image of a bunch of elves and more nature inclined humans standing proudly in front of a "Grey Render" reserve...

And then one Render rips apart a fence, eviserating one instantly. O_O

TheOtherMC
2007-04-15, 03:52 PM
I have this image of a bunch of elves and more nature inclined humans standing proudly in front of a "Grey Render" reserve...

And then one Render rips apart a fence, eviserating one instantly. O_O

"Shoot her! Shoooot her!"

:smallbiggrin:

Tyrael
2007-04-15, 05:32 PM
That looked vaguely like a bipedal Andalite.

Yep, 'twas mostly what the race was based on. Actually, that's a player model in development for Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, hence the robes and such. Largely inspired by a sketch of mine a while ago.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs15/f/2007/044/b/b/On_the_Jedi_Battlefield_by_Tyrael64.jpg

martyboy74
2007-04-15, 05:46 PM

That template doesn't make sense in the first place, so no worries.

ocato
2007-04-15, 09:27 PM
Think about it this way. Today it's the Grey Render. Tomorrow it's the Umber Hulk. Next week, Bugbears. When does it end? Eventually there will be no sentient beings roaming the pretend world for us to slaughter for fun and profit.

Then what?

(insert picture of crying native american)

...Then what?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-15, 10:11 PM
Think about it this way. Today it's the Grey Render. Tomorrow it's the Umber Hulk. Next week, Bugbears. When does it end? Eventually there will be no sentient beings roaming the pretend world for us to slaughter for fun and profit.

Then what?

(insert picture of crying native american)

...Then what?

Kobolds. Nobody cares about kobolds. Plus dragons can mate with anything, so the kobold population will always come back eventually.

Unless you kill all the dragons, but then you're some sort of god among mortals. Which means that all the real gods will want to make you a god among even stronger gods, so you die.

Ranis
2007-04-15, 10:30 PM
No, I know what asexual reproduction is, I want to know how they do it. Do they bud? Do they split? Do they give live birth? Actually, on second thought, I don't want to know.

They probably do it like sponges. I can imagine pores opening on a grey render's head as they release eggs into the air, to collide with another grey render sending out sperm.

PCs: What the hell is this freak fog-storm stuff?
Wizard(Making appropriate Knowledge check): Oh sweet jesus!!! Run!! Oh god, it's in my mouth!!!!

I need to get better at beating back my imagination. Damn thing.

Townopolis
2007-04-15, 10:44 PM
They probably do it like sponges. I can imagine pores opening on a grey render's head as they release eggs into the air, to collide with another grey render sending out sperm.

PCs: What the hell is this freak fog-storm stuff?
Wizard(Making appropriate Knowledge check): Oh sweet jesus!!! Run!! Oh god, it's in my mouth!!!!

I believe the proper term is "Yoink".

asqwasqw
2007-04-15, 10:44 PM
"Shoot her! Shoooot her!"

:smallbiggrin:

Curse you Jurrasic Park, Curse you I say! (should this be Grey Render Park? Doesn't have the same ring to it... "Welcome to... Grey Render Park! (Actually, that isn't bad (Horray, parenthesis)))

Also, the above is sexual reproduction. Whew, safe. Oh god, what if they reproduced inside you. Think aliens with spores. DOOM!! DOOM!!