PDA

View Full Version : Help me?!

Zaya Zahhak
2015-04-15, 08:18 AM
Ok so I am playing a 3.5 Psionic session with a few friends... Currently it's going pretty well, but we are having difficulties succeeding in several fights (and I seem to wind up being one of the main targets).... So therefor, I decided to make a backup character for in case this one dies. So I decided to go from my current CG Xeph Shaper to a NE Tiefling Egoist that specializes in Psionic Tattoos.... I had the idea of carrying around a book with pages of flesh to transfer the tattoos to and from the book when I need them (similar to a spell book)... I brought this idea up to my DM and he said he would allow it only if I could find it in a book.... But I can't.... Does anybody have any idea what book I could possibly find the information for a book with pages if flesh?

Maglubiyet
2015-04-15, 08:57 AM
Cool idea. Pretty sure the RAW specify that you can only transfer psionic tattoos to a *living* creature. Maybe if you had a living spellbook it would work -- Animate Object and Living Construct could make it "alive".

Karl Aegis
2015-04-15, 10:21 AM
Leather can be used as a fancy binding for your books, but having leather pages is unreasonable expensive.

Fri
2015-04-15, 10:30 AM
1.Bring a cat.
2.Transfer your psionic tattoos to your cat.
3.???
4.Profit

Zaya Zahhak
2015-04-15, 10:34 AM
1.Bring a cat.
2.Transfer your psionic tattoos to your cat.
3.???
4.Profit

One of my other players suggested this too but I'm just going egoist with the Pattern Master PrC... So in order to get a pet, I'd have to drop a feat which I don't see the point in doing for something that isn't necessary.... Thank you for suggesting something though!!

Zaya Zahhak
2015-04-15, 10:38 AM
Cool idea. Pretty sure the RAW specify that you can only transfer psionic tattoos to a *living* creature. Maybe if you had a living spellbook it would work -- Animate Object and Living Construct could make it "alive".

I won't have access to either of those spells without dipping.... And you're right I forgot about the living requirement.... So does that mean it doesn't need skin? Could you put tattoos on a Warforged, for example? No need to spend extra money on pages of flesh if I can just get a spell book with a consciousness..... Is there a way to buy that? Is it located in any of the books? My DM will only accept it if I can find it... He'll accept Homebrew SOMETIMES.... That'd be ridiculously expensive, wouldn't it? Thanks for the help! This is a good idea! Could you help me look for this? I can't find it!

Lord Torath
2015-04-15, 10:43 AM
Wait, you can't just go buy a dog or a cat!?! And expect it to behave dog-like or cat-like (ie, not something that regularly fights at your side)? What has this ruleset come to? In 2nd Edition, you could buy a dog for 25 gp a cat for 1 sp, and a hunting cat for 5,000 gp. Or do you need a Cohort/Follower/Animal Companion in order to transfer your tattoos?

In other news, get off my lawn!

Red Fel
2015-04-15, 10:53 AM
So in order to get a pet, I'd have to drop a feat which I don't see the point in doing for something that isn't necessary...

Wait, you can't just go buy a dog or a cat!?! And expect it to behave dog-like or cat-like (ie, not something that regularly fights at your side)? What has this ruleset come to?

This. (And as an aside, since this is 3.5, you should probably move it to the 3.5 subforum.)

You can purchase a guard dog for 25gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear). A pet, not trained for combat, would likely be even cheaper. I know of no requirement on Psionic Tattoos that requires the recipient to be an Animal Companion or Familiar.

No feat required, just some pocket change, and then do your best not to let the little bugger die. Maybe find a bottle that's a custom magic item of Smoky Confinement and turn it into a functional Pokeball.

atemu1234
2015-04-15, 12:10 PM
This. (And as an aside, since this is 3.5, you should probably move it to the 3.5 subforum.)

You can purchase a guard dog for 25gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear). A pet, not trained for combat, would likely be even cheaper. I know of no requirement on Psionic Tattoos that requires the recipient to be an Animal Companion or Familiar.

No feat required, just some pocket change, and then do your best not to let the little bugger die. Maybe find a bottle that's a custom magic item of Smoky Confinement and turn it into a functional Pokeball.

Can I name mine Houndoom?

Zaya Zahhak
2015-04-15, 12:19 PM

I didn't know Guard Dogs were a thing.... I'd still rather have a book as opposed to an animal anyways.... It's more for flavor than actual necessity so if I can't find a way to make it into a book then I don't really need it lol... Also I didn't know there was a 3.5 subforum.... I literally made my account on my phone right before posting this thread....

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-15, 01:29 PM

You don't want to save that name for your hellhound familiar?

KillianHawkeye
2015-04-15, 01:53 PM

You don't want to save that name for your hellhound familiar?

Nah, the hell hound would obviously be named Growlithe or Arcanine. :smallamused:

captainswift
2015-04-15, 02:51 PM
And for the rest of my life, I shall live only with the regret that I wasn't the one to come up with "Arcanine."