PDA

View Full Version : Topher Grace need not apply [Mitp-Dos]

Maerok
2007-04-14, 11:52 PM
Plant Symbiote
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/strutzone/images/leafladybest_2.jpg

If you stay out in the wild long enough, you might just come across a druid, a fey, or even a ranger practiced in the druidic way, of an old practice that was thought to be long-since deceased. Ages ago, there was a civilization that lived among the treetops, and those same plants they lived in also dwelt within them. Through this link, the practitioner gains a greater connection to nature, with both advantages and disadvantages. The symbiotic plant will either grow on one specific area of the body, usually the back, or over the entire skin of the creature.

The Plant Symbiote template may only be applied to living creatures. If the base creature becomes unliving, either as an Undead or a Construct, this template is lost; or if the base creature becomes a Plant creature. The base creature must have a notable connection to nature and cast awaken on a plant. The base creature and its newly awakened plant guide must seek out one who has already gained the Plant Symbiote and receive a single spore to place on their skin. This spore grows into their flesh and dwells with a certain harmony in its host. The process takes 4d4 weeks before the spore matures and the base creature gains this template. The spore takes the form of the plant guide, but lacks any properties it may have aside from those listed here.

Size and Type: The base creature gains the Augmented subtype and receives the benefit of Plant traits, but is subject to critical hits and mind-affecting effects.

Armor Class: +2 natural armor bonus, which stacks with other sources.

Additional Attacks: The base creature may make one tendril attack as an attack action, dealing 1d6 damage plus half its Strength modifier (1d4 for Small or smaller creatures, and 1d8 for Large or larger creatures). This attack may be applied to a full-attack action at a -5 attack penalty. When used as a single attack action, this tendril attack receives a +5 foot bonus to its range. The tendril does not threaten.

Special Attacks:

Venom (Ex): By making a melee touch attack, the base creature can release a toxic cloud from its symbiote plant or channel its poisonous qualities into their skin. The effect is 1d2 Strength damage, followed by 1d2 Strength damage one minute later, as a poison. The DC is Constitution-based.Special Qualities:

Speak with Plants, at will.
Transport via Plants, 1/week.
Vulnerability to fire and cold.
Advanced Plantshaping (Su): When Wildshaping into a Plant creature, the base creature gains an additional 2 uses of wildshaping per day, but only into Plant form (even if they have not achieved such a level of wildshaping yet). If this template is somehow acquired by a creature without wildshaping, treat its 'druid level' for wildshaping durations and HD limits as half its HD.
Photosynthesis (Ex): When exposed to one hour of continuous sunlight, the symbiotic plant can sustain its host, the base creature, to completely fulfill its need for food. However, this bond requires a greater water intake. The base creature treats its Constitution score as 4 lower when determining the time it can go without water; the non-lethal damage from dehydrating is increased to 1d6 per half hour, which can't be healed until the base creature drinks one-tenth its weight in water.
May be affectedby anti-Plant creature spells, but always receives a saving throw, with a +2 bonus. Spells that have different effects for Plant creatures, such as horrid wilting or blight, automatically affect the base creature with the Plant-specific effect. Spells that would kill a Plant creature, and only a Plant, instantaneously render the base creature unconscious for 1 round per spell level. It cannot be controlled by an effect that would control the behavior of Plant creatures.
Damage Reduction 3/slashing and magic.Abilities: Con +2

Skills: +4 Circumstance bonus to Hide checks when hiding among plants.

CR: +1

LA: +2

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-15, 12:05 AM
Seems pretty broken to me.

+2 to two very vital stats (Wis and Con), plus a whole host of immunities (including immunity to Stunning and Polymorph) and abilities (including increasing threat range 5' so you can be a ranged attack ranger and not worry about being closed with). A Ring of Resist Energy (Fire), or just casting Resist Energy (Fire) (which both druids and rangers can cast) will negate the only downside to this. +2 LA isn't enough. Either ditch the wisdom, tone down some of the abilities, or raise the LA.

Vaynor
2007-04-15, 01:10 AM
Agreed, I'd say at least +3, most likely +4. Other than that, cool idea.

UglyPanda
2007-04-15, 10:34 AM
It makes a fairly bad wizard or cleric because of the LA. For druids, it's good but not great since they lose some of those abilities when they're wild-shaped. The damage reduction is much too high and fast healing is usually reserved for templates of over +3 LA. The only template I can think of that gives fast healing three for 2 LA is the saint template and that only kicks in at level 8.

sigurd
2007-04-15, 10:55 AM
What about a weakness for Good soil\nutrients and water.

Ponce
2007-04-15, 01:09 PM
Why is the damage reduction overcome by bludgeoning? Wouldn't slashing make more sense?

The damage reduction is much too high and fast healing is usually reserved for templates of over +3 LA.

I agree. Reduce the DR to 3/slashing and magic and maybe drop the fast healing? I think it would fit nicely into the LA +2 range afterward.

Maerok
2007-04-15, 05:29 PM
Ok, I've toned down a lot of the very strong stuff:
No Wis bonus
Reduced DR
Reduced Advanced Plantshaping
Cold Vulnerability

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-15, 06:10 PM
Much better. Now it's probably on the powerful side of the +2 LA spectrum, but within acceptable limits.

Maerok
2007-04-15, 10:33 PM
Alright then. I've added a picture, as always, to help get the visual image across. :smallbiggrin:

DragonTounge
2007-06-14, 10:58 AM
Cool monster. I vote yes. Still, that is one weird picture.