PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How can albinism be cured?

Dr TPK
2015-04-15, 02:28 PM
I would say it's impossible without a wish or miracle. Why? Because there are albino archwizards in D&D. Or can it be done?

Necroticplague
2015-04-15, 02:41 PM
Reincarnate into a different body, PAO on yourself. Both should do the trick.

Their albinism could just be not caring enough to fix it, not seeing it as a problem, or not knowing how to fix it, not them being unable to fix it.

The Glyphstone
2015-04-15, 02:42 PM
Polymorph Any Object the subject into an otherwise identical human who isn't albino. Problem solved.

Maybe those arch-wizards don't look at albinism as something that needs to be 'cured', like it's a disease.

Telonius
2015-04-15, 02:47 PM
Yeah, after some point in the Wizard progression, any physical property of the Wizard's body is more or less a lifestyle choice.

Hypername
2015-04-15, 02:50 PM
Gene Therapy.

Now in-game there are many spells that can alter your appearance. Archwizards don't do it because they don't really care.

Karl Aegis
2015-04-15, 03:02 PM
Are there even mechanics for albinism?

Thurbane
2015-04-15, 03:06 PM

Well, there is the Szarkai (Albino Drow) in DotU...but that's very specific.

Lo77o
2015-04-15, 03:09 PM
"Cure" implies that there is something wrong with it. As far as i know its just a genetic variation. Not much different then hair colour or eye colour, just alot more rare.

jaydubs
2015-04-15, 03:14 PM
Prestidigitation - Color choice: Any

Troacctid
2015-04-15, 03:17 PM
Prestidigitation - Color choice: Any

Doesn't that only work on nonliving material?

VoxRationis
2015-04-15, 03:17 PM
Well, as I understand, albinism sometimes interferes with development of the optic systems, so it does represent a problem, even for those in environments where extreme UV sensitivity isn't a problem. A wizard might see an incentive to change into a form without those disadvantages, if only because it makes peering at grimoires easier.

Elderand
2015-04-15, 03:24 PM
"Cure" implies that there is something wrong with it. As far as i know its just a genetic variation. Not much different then hair colour or eye colour, just alot more rare.

You mean asside from increased risk of sunburn, skin cancer and the various vision problems that accompany the condition ? It's not just a different hair or eye color it's actively detrimental to one's health. It can be managed whitout too much problem but the fact that it has to be managed clearly indicate it's not just a difference in color.

Bayar
2015-04-15, 03:27 PM
Firing a Rod of Wonder until it colors you purple ?

Karl Aegis
2015-04-15, 03:42 PM
You mean asside from increased risk of sunburn, skin cancer and the various vision problems that accompany the condition ? It's not just a different hair or eye color it's actively detrimental to one's health. It can be managed whitout too much problem but the fact that it has to be managed clearly indicate it's not just a difference in color.

Which book did you find these rules in? Was it third party?

Troacctid
2015-04-15, 03:43 PM

Being an Elf is detrimental to one's health too, but we still see plenty of Elf Wizards.

Not all Wizards prioritize physical fitness.

jaydubs
2015-04-15, 03:47 PM
Doesn't that only work on nonliving material?

Hair and the outermost layer of skin are non-living... :smallbiggrin:

daremetoidareyo
2015-04-15, 04:49 PM
I would say it's impossible without a wish or miracle. Why? Because there are albino archwizards in D&D. Or can it be done?

charm person solves 99% of albinism problems, the other 1% necessitates alter self.

Spiryt
2015-04-15, 05:05 PM
Hair and the outermost layer of skin are non-living... :smallbiggrin:

That's good point. :smallbiggrin:

Is melanin found only in outermost skin? Aren't the inner layers strongly colored (or not) as well?

felinoel
2015-04-15, 05:14 PM
You mean asside from increased risk of sunburn, skin cancer and the various vision problems that accompany the condition ? It's not just a different hair or eye color it's actively detrimental to one's health. It can be managed whitout too much problem but the fact that it has to be managed clearly indicate it's not just a difference in color.Cure light wounds, Heal spell, Cure blindness.

No more problems!

atemu1234
2015-04-15, 09:23 PM

Not really.

Though IRL, yes, it does have issues. Eyesight is a common one.

Snowbluff
2015-04-15, 09:31 PM
Maybe those arch-wizards don't look at albinism as something that needs to be 'cured', like it's a disease.

Of course. It makes them look awesome.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51088M963TL.jpg

goto124
2015-04-15, 09:42 PM
Is there a Protection from Daylight or equivalent spell?

What are the mechanics on albinism in DnD anyway?

jaydubs
2015-04-15, 09:46 PM
That's good point. :smallbiggrin:

Is melanin found only in outermost skin? Aren't the inner layers strongly colored (or not) as well?

Doesn't matter. That spray tan look is all the rage with wizards.

Hmm... now that I think about it, that probably means that every oompa loompa is a caster. :smallwink:

Troacctid
2015-04-16, 12:29 AM
Is there a Protection from Daylight or equivalent spell?

Endure Elements should cover it in this case.

Coidzor
2015-04-16, 11:07 AM
Albinism just completes their eccentricity ensemble in many cases. Several of them aren't even actually albinos, they've just been shut away from the sun for so long that you'd be forgiven for making the mistake.

And then there's the ones who get special lenses or recolor their eyes just to be fashionable.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-16, 11:22 AM

It's classified as a genetic disorder because people who have it suffer from a variety of eye troubles and sensitivity to the sun. One of the things the pigments in your skin do is protect you from getting sunburned.

EDIT: Oops, Elderand beat me to it...by a whole day!