PDA

View Full Version : Vow of Peace silliness.

KingSmitty
2015-04-15, 03:10 PM
So reading up a bit on some special abilities i'd like to give my new monk, i opened up to Vow of Peace.

the feat give you an aura of calm emotions. Will DC = 10 + 1/2 level + Cha. Nothing too interesting here.

However this little line has left me grinning. "Creatures who leave the aura and reenter it receive new saving throws. A creature that makes a successful saving throw and remains in the aura is unaffected until it leaves the aura and reenters."

So basically, with my supreme movement speed, I move 5ft forward and 5ft feet back 6 times for my movement (60) along with a 5ft step and force my opponent to sway the odds in my favor with just a movement action. It sounds like it is pretty sleazy but allowable as far as i can see.

Is this a known thing, am I just late to the party?

Troacctid
2015-04-15, 03:14 PM
You don't know whether they failed their save, though, because it's an area effect, not a targeted effect, right? For all you know, you're shooting yourself in the foot by giving them an extra save after they already failed once.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-04-15, 03:28 PM
Moving six inches doesn't move the effect, or even yourself, mechanically speaking. The only movement that affects mechanics is over distances significant in game terms, that is, at least five feet/one square, in increments of five feet.

In other words, moving six inches isn't even an action you can take, because actions are also a mechanic, and therefore only concerned with significant movement.

You could use Evasive Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit to force lots of saves, but then you run into the problem Troacctid identified.

KingSmitty
2015-04-15, 03:30 PM
You don't know whether they failed their save, though, because it's an area effect, not a targeted effect, right? For all you know, you're shooting yourself in the foot by giving them an extra save after they already failed once.

that's true, but I'm assuming I'll notice that my enemy is somewhat calmer, unless they know what the ability is and bluff their reaction.

Let's assume they lose on one of those rolls, the effect "can stop raging creatures from fighting or joyous ones from reveling."

I would instantly know if a creature is going to attack me by their demeanor. Just because it isn't their turn doesn't mean they wouldn't have visible sign of anger or violence. Since speaking is a free action in combat, I assume so would facial expressions. Unless you've got a great poker face during battle, surely you'd have less of a scowl while calmed.

Moving six inches doesn't move the effect, or even yourself, mechanically speaking. The only movement that affects mechanics is over distances significant in game terms, that is, at least five feet/one square, in increments of five feet.

I considered this, thank you for pointing that out. I'll fix that.

So, 7 saves changes this tactic a bit, but with a double move I can bump that up to 13. Obviously if I boost my speed this number changes, I've been going off of my base 60 foot movement speed.

But fighting defensively, and doing this against a dumb opponent, I can seriously force them to hesitate in combat, and suffer myself the risk of being wrecked.

SangoProduction
2015-04-15, 03:39 PM
that's true, but I'm assuming I'll notice that my enemy is somewhat calmer, unless they know what the ability is and bluff their reaction.

Let's assume they lose on one of those rolls, the effect "can stop raging creatures from fighting or joyous ones from reveling."

I would instantly know if a creature is going to attack me on their demeanor. Just because it isn't their turn doesn't mean they wouldn't have visible sign of anger or violence. Since speaking is a free action in combat, I assume so would facial expressions. Unless you've got a great poker face during battle, surely you'd have less of a scowl while calmed.

Well, think of it in terms of real time. Let's say you've got a speed of 60, so you can move 12 squares a round, so you can do this trick 6 times per round. At 6 seconds per round, that gives them only 1 second to not only register the effect, and react (which, by raw, doesn't happen until their turn), and for your to interpret it. That's not a lot. I mean, even the TV super sleuths take a bit of time.

KingSmitty
2015-04-15, 03:45 PM
Well, think of it in terms of real time. Let's say you've got a speed of 60, so you can move 12 squares a round, so you can do this trick 6 times per round. At 6 seconds per round, that gives them only 1 second to not only register the effect, and react (which, by raw, doesn't happen until their turn), and for your to interpret it. That's not a lot. I mean, even the TV super sleuths take a bit of time.

well i guess if they don't AoO me after the first shot I've pretty much succeeded now that i think about it haha

So now I can run within range of all my enemies, turn and force AoO's and the ones who swing I try again next turn!

Troacctid
2015-04-15, 03:55 PM
Sounds like you've defeated the purpose at that point.

Strigon
2015-04-15, 04:19 PM
You also run into a problem when facing multiple foes; say you're fighting Orcs A, B, and C.
You run up to them, and force Will saves. Orc A fails, but B and C are still willing to smash your face in.
So you retreat. And run up again.
This time, though Orc A succeeds on his save, and so does Orc B, but Orc C fails.
Et cetera, et cetera. At some point you have to reconcile yourself to the fact that either you've succeeded in pacifying just one Orc, or risk spending your entire turn doing nothing.

Malimar
2015-04-15, 04:26 PM
...I move 5ft forward and 5ft feet back 6 times for my movement (60) along with a 5ft step...

Can't take a 5' step in any round you move any distance. (Not that 6 is all that different from 7, but it's the principle of the thing.)

goto124
2015-04-15, 09:56 PM
How do you use this in a campaign, and what sort of campaign would be required for it to work?

KingSmitty
2015-04-15, 10:09 PM
I have yet to test it, but I am assuming I can combine this with fighting defensively and using feats to boost AC for AoO's like......ill say it...mobility. Enter an enemies threatened square forcing them to make saves or be calmed. Multiple enemies would be affected by just running past them all in combat each turn till they've all been calmed. As long as my allies don't attack them, and they're not immune to Mind Affecting effects, I'll be good.

my logic is if they don't attack me they failed their save, allowing me to attempt either diplomatic actions or to basically force the combat to a standstill.

It fits rather well with my Vow, I'm supposed to be peaceful after all.

Not very useful unless you're really into finding the peaceful way out of combat. A bit silly indeed.

Sam K
2015-04-16, 07:01 AM
well i guess if they don't AoO me after the first shot I've pretty much succeeded now that i think about it haha

So now I can run within range of all my enemies, turn and force AoO's and the ones who swing I try again next turn!

If they only have one AoO you wouldn't have much to go by once they've used that, though. Also, intelligent enemies may hold off on making AoOs against you if they realize that you're a monk, because... well, monk.

atemu1234
2015-04-16, 07:15 AM
If they only have one AoO you wouldn't have much to go by once they've used that, though. Also, intelligent enemies may hold off on making AoOs against you if they realize that you're a monk, because... well, monk.

So pity? With a mild mixture of laughter?

Sam K
2015-04-16, 10:34 AM
So pity? With a mild mixture of laughter?

Throwing pearls at swine?