PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Getting the most of Extract Gift [Work in Progress - I need you guys]

Pippin
2015-04-15, 03:37 PM
Description of Extract Gift (http://dndtools.pw/spells/fiendish-codex-i-hordes-of-the-abyss--66/extract-gift--1154/)
Obscure handbook about Extract Gift (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2421.0)
Discussion thread about the obscure handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2761.0)

So, I'm trying to use extract gift to get the best enhancement bonus to Int (and while I'm at it... to Dex/Con/Wis/Cha) possible. Preferably more than +8 otherwise a persisted necrotic empowerment would be better. Let's pretend our DM is permissive enough to make it work. Since I've never read something really clear about this issue, I would like to make a thread as clear and comprehensive as possible about it. Sadly, I haven't understood everything yet, so I'll probably edit in the future.

Right! So, to get the most of EG, you have to use two different creatures (let's call them A and B) and boost them as much as possible. Once this is done, we just have to cast EG a few times, then we have the permament bonus to Int.

For example, let's say both A and B are boosted to 74 Int (modifier is +32) :

Use polymorph to grant them the demon type. Since the casting time of EG is 1 hour, you might want to extend polymorph.
Apply EG to A, using B. A now has 74 + 32/2 = 90 INT. (modifier is +40)
Then apply EG to B, using A. B now has 74 + 40/2 = 94 INT. (modifier is +42)
Repeat. A now has 74 + 42/2 = 95 INT. (modifier is +42)
Again. B now has 74 + 42/2 = 95 INT. (idem)
Any further casting would be useless as we reached the limit.

Then, use either creature to get a +42/2 = +21 enhancement bonus to Int. That's the theory. Now, there are a few problems we must solve in order for us to make this possible:

The CL of the spellcaster using EG must be at least 42 to issue a +21 enhancement bonus (and at least 30 to make an extended polymorph last a full hour).
The total cost in XP and GP for all the EGs is so expensive that we can only do it using another creature that has EG as a spell-like ability. So we must find someone or something that will do the job for us.
We must find a creature with as much Int as possible. It seems that Ha-Naga (Epic Level Handbook, 195) is the best candidate for this.

Boosting Ha-Naga

Hire a SCM with access to miracle to shadow-miracle two Simulacrum of these: Ha-Naga (ELH p195); Draconic (RotD p74); Pherenic (XPH p205); Multi-Headed, 29 extra heads (SS p125); Half-Fiend (MM p148); Paragon (ELH p209) with the higher stats form the elite ability score array, and the levels, into Int for a creature with 39 HD and an Int of 60.

Boost the first one. Profane bonus (from possession) of 4, Enhancement of 6 (spell w/ ability enhancement feat), and the shoes for 10. Ending at 80.

Elaborating his post a bit:

Ha-Naga HD 20, Str 27, Dex 38, Con 032, Int 35, Wis 31, Cha 36
Draconic Template HD 21, Str 29, Dex 38, Con 034, Int 35, Wis 31, Cha 38
Pherenic Template HD 23, Str 29, Dex 38, Con 034, Int 37, Wis 33, Cha 42
Multi-Headed Template (29) HD 32, Str 29, Dex 38, Con 092, Int 37, Wis 33, Cha 42
Half-Fiend Template HD 36, Str 33, Dex 42, Con 094, Int 41, Wis 33, Cha 44
Paragon Template HD 36, Str 48, Dex 57, Con 109, Int 56, Wis 48, Cha 59
Leveling (to Int) HD 36, Str 48, Dex 57, Con 109, Int 60, Wis 48, Cha 59

The cheapest way to get two of these would be simulacrum, with a 3,600 XP cost for each. You must have a CL of 36 for that, but I'm not sure how to get there at, say, level 17. Help.

Also I'm not so sure as to why he added 4 points to Int due to leveling. Gaining HDs from templates isn't actually gaining levels, but what do I know. If someone could confirm that this is all legit, that would be appreciated. He then uses a fiend of possession to possess Ha-Naga and grant her a +4 bonus to Int. He then uses the Horseshoes of Flame to grant her another +10 bonus to Int, but he doesn't specify how Ha-Naga would get the UMD Skill required for it, nor does he explain if the entire procedure remains legal because, well, they are horseshoes. Not to mention that Ha-Naga isn't a fiend, so after you cast polymorph, it's unlikely that the +10 bonus is still applied.

After that, Ha-Naga has an Int score of 74. Lucky for us, that's exactly the score used in the example! So her final Int score would be 95, which means a +21 enhancement bonus to Int for us.

Finding the creature with a CL of 42 that will cast EG for us

In Complete Arcane on page 162. Add this template to an undead with a Wis score of at least 17, and make Extract Gift one of its granted SLA’s.
Pro: It does not require any particular build to function, thus no character level investment. Only 1,000gp and the Craft Wondrous Item Feat.
Con: Requires 500XP for each point of the creatures Wis score, thus a minimum of 8,500xp. Caster level is based on HD. Caster level difficult is to raise. Only usable 1 or 2 times per day. Resigned to dealing with undead.

This is the obscure part. (I didn't even get why he talked about a crafting feat, nor what the XP cost refers to.) Maybe use a third simulacrum to get an undead with the Spellstitched template, possibly with a base CL of 20, then find ways to boost his CL even more. But again, I need help for this. The main spell for that is consumptive field, but it can only grant you a bonus up to half your CL. Using the spell multiple times to maximize this bonus might not be approved by the DM.

So yea, I really need help to clear up everything.

MightBeABook
2015-04-15, 05:30 PM
For absurd caster level optimization, see Team Primeval (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?201638-Team-Primeval). Look for the buffing procedure spoiler. Some or all of those tricks may be applicable to your situation. Alternately, Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field stack, for a ~2.25 CL multiplier.

In addition to the methods of optimizing stats used there, the Artificer Infusion Item Alteration could be helpful to you, allowing you to combine, say, a Belt of Magnificence with a Headband of Intellect by changing their bonus types. If you do it to both, you can combine them with stuff like Necrotic Empowerment, too!

One way around the costs is to use the Dweomerkeeper PrC to cast an XP-free Wish or Miracle spell duplicating the spell you want. This has the wonderful side-benefit of reducing casting time to a standard action!

You might be able to give the Ha-Naga UMD ranks via Psychic Reformation.

There are rules for adding that Spellstitched template in the book, as I recall (which is where the stuff about XP cost and CWI comes from)... but I also think there might be a newer version which wouldn't work for this, so YMMV.

If you want to not worry about whether polymorph works for this, the Sibriex has 25 Int and is already a Demon.

Hopefully some of that is useful to you. Good luck kidnapping and ripping power out of a Demon!

Pippin
2015-04-15, 06:38 PM
For absurd caster level optimization, see Team Primeval (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?201638-Team-Primeval). Look for the buffing procedure spoiler. Some or all of those tricks may be applicable to your situation. Alternately, Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field stack, for a ~2.25 CL multiplier.

In addition to the methods of optimizing stats used there, the Artificer Infusion Item Alteration could be helpful to you, allowing you to combine, say, a Belt of Magnificence with a Headband of Intellect by changing their bonus types. If you do it to both, you can combine them with stuff like Necrotic Empowerment, too!

One way around the costs is to use the Dweomerkeeper PrC to cast an XP-free Wish or Miracle spell duplicating the spell you want. This has the wonderful side-benefit of reducing casting time to a standard action!

You might be able to give the Ha-Naga UMD ranks via Psychic Reformation.

There are rules for adding that Spellstitched template in the book, as I recall (which is where the stuff about XP cost and CWI comes from)... but I also think there might be a newer version which wouldn't work for this, so YMMV.

If you want to not worry about whether polymorph works for this, the Sibriex has 25 Int and is already a Demon.

Hopefully some of that is useful to you. Good luck kidnapping and ripping power out of a Demon!
Wow, you must have had a lot of fun! That's truly amazing.

Only, I plan to become God on my own, not as part of a team. (I won't reach scores as cheesy as the ones you reached, but I have a better chance to be allowed to play ^^) Basically, if I need someone else I would have to use simulacrum, but I won't try to use 5 other PCs. CF stacking with Greater CF is arguable, to me that's still the same source of bonus. My rule of thumb is, if I'm uncomfortable with a ruling, that means the average DM won't allow it.

Artificers are broken but the infusion you mention does not last 24 hours, unless I'm mistaken, it only lasts 10 minutes/level. I would have to go back to my simulacrum every X hours to maintain my bonuses to Int, even during the night haha. But I will look into the Dweomerkeeper PrC, thank you.

Sibriex is cool but can't compete with Ha-Naga's 35 Int score :(

I will read your study tomorrow and see what I can take from there! Thanks a lot for pointing it out.

MightBeABook
2015-04-15, 07:06 PM
Oh, that stuff isn't mine! I've just run into it all at one time or another, like when I was building an Epic Gestalt Lich.

The Artificer has two uses; it's easy enough to use it to improve the stats of the Extract Gift patsy, but if you can finagle an Incantatrix to help your Artificer, you can have the Artificer take Ocular Spell and the Incantatrix can help with Cooperative Metamagic to Persist the Metamagic Effect.

Also, remember that when you're a 17th+ level caster, allies are just a Mindrape spell away. (Or a Dominate, if you're not quite that evil.) And if you go Dweomerkeeper, remember the Transport Creatures function of Wish and the Gate spell. Both are quite handy for this sort of thing.

EDIT: Oh, right, obligatory disclaimer: Don't try this sort of stuff in a game with a DM who isn't expecting it. It makes them die a little inside.

Kraken
2015-04-15, 07:23 PM
Just as an aside, you'll want to boost caster level beyond what you'll need, otherwise you need to worry about dispelling. You'll want to tae precautions against disjunction, as well.

MightBeABook
2015-04-15, 07:34 PM
If you can swing access to PF material, the best anti-Disjunction/dispelling measure I know of is Aroden's Spellbane (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/aroden-s-spellbane).

atemu1234
2015-04-15, 09:16 PM
Just as an aside, you'll want to boost caster level beyond what you'll need, otherwise you need to worry about dispelling. You'll want to tae precautions against disjunction, as well.

Any ways spring to mind?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-16, 01:05 AM
Any ways spring to mind?

The Spellblade weapon enhancement keyed to Greater Dispel is fairly popular.
Against Disjunction your best bet is disrupting line of effect (as an immediate action). Wings of Cover, Celerity + Wall of Stone/Dimension Door/whatever, they all work as long as you either get out of range or block LoE.

Another option is the Ring of Spell Battle (MIC). It lets you redirect any spell 1/day, so you can target that Disjunction somewhere else (not on the loot!). It's also good enough to get on any spellcaster anyway, so it's not like you're wasting money.

Anthrowhale
2015-04-16, 06:22 AM
Otiluke's Suppressing Field + caster level increases should be an effective counter against lower caster level opponents.

Pippin
2015-04-16, 07:17 AM
So, I've been studying the Shadowcraft Mage PrC this morning, since it kind of solves our problem here. If we're allowed to cast shadow miracles with it, it's all good I suppose.

I managed to reach CL 60 with the following assumptions. If either of them is flawed, please point it out:

Consumptive field grants you 50% of the CL used to cast the spell. It doesn't matter what your CL becomes after that.
The metamagic effect class feature of the Incantatrix PrC uses a standard action.

Let's pretend you are a level 20 wizard with 5 levels of Shadowcraft Mage and at least 3 levels of Incantatrix. You wear the relevant ioun stone (+1) and used a magical tattoo for the day (+1). You cast suffer the flesh (as a swift action) and gain a +5 bonus to CL, which you immediately persist (as a standard action). During the next round, you cast spell enhancer as a swift action and gain another +2 bonus to CL. As a standard action, you cast a shadow miracle from silent image using both heighten spell and earth spell, granting you an additional +8 bonus to CL. Finally, you used reserves of strength to increase your CL by +3. The total bonus to CL is +20.

You use your shadow miracle to cast a greater consumptive field, which you persist. Since you cast it at a CL of 40, you easily get another +20 bonus to CL. You can then use the same procedure again to cast extract gift (no GP/XP cost since this is a shadow illusion) at a final CL of 60.

If someone noticed some flaws in what I just wrote, please chime in. If you know additional ways to increase the caster level, point it out too. I didn't use mystic surge as it wouldn't stack with spell enhancer (they both apply to the next spell you cast, and only that spell). I didn't use a bead or karma either as I'm not a divine spellcaster.

If what I wrote is 100% legit, I will update the OP!

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-16, 09:06 AM
Shadow Illusion specifies sorcerer or wizard spells. Miracle is neither, so you can't use Shadow Illusion to cast it.
Even adding Miracle to your spell list with the various available options doesn't make it a sorcerer/wizard spell.

Pippin
2015-04-16, 09:27 AM
Shadow Illusion specifies sorcerer or wizard spells. Miracle is neither, so you can't use Shadow Illusion to cast it.
Even adding Miracle to your spell list with the various available options doesn't make it a sorcerer/wizard spell.
I think this has been argued many times already.

(i) A spell is a sorcerer or wizard spell if and only if it is on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list.
(ii) Arcane Disciple adds the spells on the selected domain list to "your class spell list."
(iii) For a Sorcerer or Wizard character, "your class spell list" refers to the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list.
(iv) By (ii) and (iii), Arcane Disciple (luck) adds, for you, miracle to the Sorcerer/Wizard list (for a Wizard or Sorcerer).
(v) By (i) and (iv) miracle becomes a sorcerer or wizard spell, for you.

Pippin
2015-04-16, 02:38 PM
Sorry for double posting, but I can't seem to find the Aid Spellcaster feat that is used in the thread MightBeABook linked. I googled it though, and I found this vague message here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?111085-Teamwork-Feats-and-Abilities) :

Aid Spellcaster from AU. There's a .pdf for sale on RPGNow that's focused on teamwork feats.
But what's AU?..

MightBeABook
2015-04-16, 11:15 PM
Sorry for double posting, but I can't seem to find the Aid Spellcaster feat that is used in the thread MightBeABook linked. I googled it though, and I found this vague message here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?111085-Teamwork-Feats-and-Abilities) :

But what's AU?..

Dunno about any AU, but looking at the Team Primeval thread, it's talking about Dragon #318. The Feat is called Spellcaster Support, and is on page 39.

jiriku
2015-04-17, 12:03 AM
Red Wizard/Dweomerkeeper provides an alternative avenue to reaching CL60, and casting EG with the usual time or expense. I like the idea of polymorphing a non-demon into a demon for the duration of the extraction. That's just brilliant.

Kraken
2015-04-17, 06:29 AM
Hopefully I'm not too late, but here's a list (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1054346) I've found useful for boosting my caster level. Because you won't be needing to recast extract gift (hopefully), you can probably swing for many of those boosters that have short or limited windows for use.

Pippin
2015-04-17, 07:31 PM
Actually I think I'm going to mindrape a dozen artificers and have them craft as many items granting +1 to CL as I need. Since I don't think it is possible to use item alteration on an orange ioun stone, because the bonus is untyped, I'm just going make them craft ioun stones that grant a +1 circumstance bonus to CL.

Since circumstance bonuses stack together "unless they essentially come from the same benefit", I should be able to reach any caster level <:o)

Kraken
2015-04-17, 07:35 PM
Well, be careful going down that road. At that point, you may as well just pay the extra price and put them all on one item. But then you could also just bypass all the hassle and have them craft an ioun stone that increased your stats directly, using the exact same shenanigans.

Pippin
2015-04-17, 07:41 PM
Well, be careful going down that road. At that point, you may as well just pay the extra price and put them all on one item. But then you could also just bypass all the hassle and have them craft an ioun stone that increased your stats directly, using the exact same shenanigans.
The DM who will supervise all this might allow the entire procedure if I agree to give up all the stones afterwards. I don't like wearing magic items anyway.