PDA

View Full Version : Mobs, effective mass combat?

Khoran
2007-04-15, 12:48 AM
So, I recently read over the mob template in DMG II and it got me thinking, could the angry template be converted to into a way of creating a way to do mass combat? I mean, it seems like a very simple idea, using the different parts of the army as a Swarm. Of course, you would need a way to represent that trained soldiers would be tougher (Higher Hit Die, Stronger Damage, ect.)

I was just wondering if this sounds like a good idea for dealing with mass combat, or if I'm just an idiot.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-15, 11:33 AM
It'd take a lot of tweaking, but it might work. You'd have to work in things like cavalry, ranged attacks, spellcasting divisions... It'd be difficult. But it's a better idea than just running individual units, certainly.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-15, 12:38 PM
There is a thread (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=637522) in Regdar's Repository that you may want to draw from.

PnP Fan
2007-04-15, 01:15 PM
It's not a bad place to start. If you are looking for a system that is already set up for mass combat, the Empire book, published by AEG has material that allows you to convert d20 stat'ed creatures into units. I've not had the opportunity to play it yet, but it looks like it would work well.