PDA

View Full Version : Can I use warblade weapon aptitude to apply the Spinning Halberd feat to actual TWF?

Windrammer
2015-04-15, 06:46 PM
By RAW it seems that it ought to.

Weapon Aptitude: You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training. Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon.

Spinning Halberd: Gain dodge bonus and extra attack when making full attack with halberd.

Sooo can't I just spin around with two light weapons instead?

stack
2015-04-15, 06:54 PM
It doesn't change the capacity of the feat. You can change one weapon focus or exotic weapon proficiency to another, not allow you to use feats with weapons to which they do not apply.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-15, 06:55 PM
No, it does not permit you to select a weapon for a feat that you could not normally select for that feat. You cannot pick any weapon you want to apply Spinning Halberd to, it will only work with a halberd.

However, you could use weapons with the Aptitude magical property on page 148 with any feat that applies only to a particular weapon. It's most often used with Aptitude Kukris and the Lightning Maces feat.

You could also use a halberd in both hands, and use TWF to make offhand attacks with armor spikes, in addition to your extra hit with the halberd.

Windrammer
2015-04-15, 07:07 PM
edit: nevermind, i was being stupid

Windrammer
2015-04-15, 07:10 PM
edit: nevermind I was being stupid

Red Fel
2015-04-15, 07:16 PM
But does Warblades' weapon aptitude not eliminate the need for the aptitude magical property?

I was going to use lightning maces but I don't see why the aptitude property is necessary. Isn't the aptitude property just to give other classes access to this Warblade ability?

It almost sounds as if you're making the argument that the Warblade's weapon aptitude not only doesn what it describes itself to but doesn't do anything at all.

Here's the difference.

The Weapon Aptitude class feature allows you to change your weapon-specific feats to any weapon you have on hand. These are feats like Weapon Focus, which require you to designate a weapon. You can change the weapon designated by the feat to another weapon you have on hand. However, you cannot change the feat itself. (Weapon Focus remains Weapon Focus, for example.)

The Aptitude Weapon enhancement allows you to treat the weapon to which it is applied as another weapon for purposes of feats. Thus, a kukri can count as a mace for the purpose of the Lightning Mace feat, which applies to maces. Unlike the Weapon Aptitude ability, you're not changing the feat in any way; you're simply allowed to use that weapon as though it were a different weapon.

The distinction is important. A Warblade with Weapon Aptitude could change Weapon Focus (Longsword) into Weapon Focus (Halberd), but he couldn't use a Longsword as if it were a Halberd for purposes of the Spinning Halberd feat. Any person with an Aptitude Weapon Longsword, however, could treat the sword as if it were a Halberd, both for Weapon Focus (Halberd) and for Spinning Halberd.

See the distinction?

Windrammer
2015-04-15, 07:18 PM
Here's the difference.

The Weapon Aptitude class feature allows you to change your weapon-specific feats to any weapon you have on hand. These are feats like Weapon Focus, which require you to designate a weapon. You can change the weapon designated by the feat to another weapon you have on hand. However, you cannot change the feat itself. (Weapon Focus remains Weapon Focus, for example.)

The Aptitude Weapon enhancement allows you to treat the weapon to which it is applied as another weapon for purposes of feats. Thus, a kukri can count as a mace for the purpose of the Lightning Mace feat, which applies to maces. Unlike the Weapon Aptitude ability, you're not changing the feat in any way; you're simply allowed to use that weapon as though it were a different weapon.

The distinction is important. A Warblade with Weapon Aptitude could change Weapon Focus (Longsword) into Weapon Focus (Halberd), but he couldn't use a Longsword as if it were a Halberd for purposes of the Spinning Halberd feat. Any person with an Aptitude Weapon Longsword, however, could treat the sword as if it were a Halberd, both for Weapon Focus (Halberd) and for Spinning Halberd.

See the distinction?

Yeah I just went back and read the rest of the entry.

However, you can’t change the weapon choices in such a way that you no longer meet the prerequisite for some other feat you possess.

sorry for troubling you guys

Eloel
2015-04-15, 07:18 PM
But does Warblades' weapon aptitude not eliminate the need for the aptitude magical property?

I was going to use lightning maces but I don't see why the aptitude property is necessary. Isn't the aptitude property just to give other classes access to this Warblade ability?

Having just re-read the ability, I believe you are correct. Nowhere in the description does it say that you change the feat to another one or that it originally need to be choosable, just the following:

Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus).

Spinning Halberd applies to a single weapon. The designated weapon for Spinning Halberd is a halberd. You can change that to be another weapon.

Necroticplague
2015-04-15, 07:21 PM
Weapon Aptitude doesn't let you do this because it only lets you change the designated weapon. However, there's no designation done for Spinning Halberd. That class feature is for crappy feats like Weapon Focus. the Aptitude property is a fair bit broader due to a different wording, and thus would work.

Eloel
2015-04-15, 07:25 PM
Weapon Aptitude doesn't let you do this because it only lets you change the designated weapon. However, there's no designation done for Spinning Halberd. That class feature is for crappy feats like Weapon Focus. the Aptitude property is a fair bit broader due to a different wording, and thus would work.

I'd say halberd is the pre-designated weapon for Spinning Halberd - the designation doesn't have to be done by the player, there's no wording relating to choice in the ability.

Aetolus
2015-04-20, 01:45 PM
Yeah, "Designated" is vague enough that I think either interperetation is fine.

It'd be tough for a DM to call this an exploit or make an argument for balance, since the weapon enhancement explicitly allows this sort of switching around.