PDA

View Full Version : Robilars gambit + evasive reflexes question

Invader
2015-04-15, 07:04 PM
Shats the benefit of this combination? Does it allow you to step out of the way of the attack? Is the real pay off in using it on creatures that have more than 3 attacks so you can step out of the way of the 2nd one and they can't follow you any more?

WhamBamSam
2015-04-15, 07:25 PM
I'm assuming you mean Evasive Reflexes.

Robilar's Gambit says...
At the start of your action, you can adopt a fighting stance that exposes you to harm but allows you to take advantage of your opponents' exposed defenses as they reach in to attack you. Anyone who strikes at you gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against you. In return, they provoke attacks of opportunity from you each time they swing. Resolve your attack of opportunity after your foe's attack.Emphasis mine. So you don't get to step out of the way of the attack that provokes the AoO, just like you wouldn't get to hit them before they could hit you.

So you're correct that the use of this combo would be to step out of the way of subsequent attacks (unless you have a build where the 5ft step is somehow its own reward). You might also be using it in conjunction with some sort of "auto-miss" effect, such as Wall of Blades (it's harder to use with the +4 to the enemy's attack from Robilar's Gambit, but still has a good chance of working against a lot of things).

Invader
2015-04-15, 07:35 PM
I'm assuming you mean Evasive Reflexes.

Robilar's Gambit says... Emphasis mine. So you don't get to step out of the way of the attack that provokes the AoO, just like you wouldn't get to hit them before they could hit you.

So you're correct that the use of this combo would be to step out of the way of subsequent attacks (unless you have a build where the 5ft step is somehow its own reward). You might also be using it in conjunction with some sort of "auto-miss" effect, such as Wall of Blades (it's harder to use with the +4 to the enemy's attack from Robilar's Gambit, but still has a good chance of working against a lot of things).

Ahh it was right there lol. Ty

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-16, 01:10 AM
In addition to breaking full attacks you can also use it to avoid charges (if you have more reach than your attacker) or to reposition yourself, either for a full attack of your own or to shift your threatened area (or both).