PDA

View Full Version : Suitable crusader mount

Invader
2015-04-15, 08:02 PM
I'm looking for ideas for a cohort/mount for my 12th lvl human crusader. Assume it'll be ECL 10 and I won't be using it for any uber charger mount builds.

atemu1234
2015-04-15, 09:11 PM
Riding Dog? Maybe convince the DM to give it a template?

WhamBamSam
2015-04-15, 09:48 PM
Riding Dog? Maybe convince the DM to give it a template?A Riding Dog is too small to serve as a mount for a medium sized character.

A Druid or a MoMF would be a good bet. Though those might be sort of overkill. A polymorph happy caster or a metamorphing Egoist Psion might also be a decent bet.

If you want to start from a monstrous mount type creature, look into getting it a level of Swordsage for Island of Blades (you are now always flanking) and/or Marshal levels (Motivate Dexterity for your Initiative and Ride checks, Master of Tactics to add its Cha to your damage rolls in conjunction with Island of Blades).

Tarvus
2015-04-15, 11:26 PM
Its a bit lazy, but I'm going to link The Mount Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=25.0) that was originally on BG. Goes through most of the methods of mount acquisition, relevant equipment and feats etc. Relatively thoroughbred

Does it have to be a Mount ala Paladin, or just something to ride via ride checks and whatnot?

Rebel7284
2015-04-16, 12:47 AM
Assuming you want an animal to ride, not a caster that happened to wildshape or polymorph into a quadruped, perhaps consider a Fleshraker advanced to 10HD?

Darrin
2015-04-16, 07:16 AM
Do you want speed, movement modes, combat prowess, or general utility?

The giant eagle, pegasus, and griffon are all classic fantasy rides. Pegasus has the best top speed (120'), but the griffon is more of a melee scrapper.

Invader
2015-04-16, 08:53 AM
Do you want speed, movement modes, combat prowess, or general utility?

The giant eagle, pegasus, and griffon are all classic fantasy rides. Pegasus has the best top speed (120'), but the griffon is more of a melee scrapper.

More less combat which made me think of a griffon or felldrake, I'd prefer a non flyer though so I was looking for something other than a griffon.

Definitely not looking for anything very crazy so no actual caster/shape change cohorts or extreme templates. I need to keep it fairly mundane.

Id say felldrake is probably the front runner right now. Is there anything else along those lines that writing work? Also it doesn't have to be specifically from leadership. I have a free feat so anything like dragon cohort etc could work as well though I can't get a large enough dragon to ride at this level.

Red Fel
2015-04-16, 08:58 AM
I'm looking for ideas for a cohort/mount for my 12th lvl human crusader. Assume it'll be ECL 10 and I won't be using it for any uber charger mount builds.

Looking for a combination of simplicity and power? Got a feat to spare?

The Dragon Steed feat from Draconomicon may be your goal. It requires a baseline Cha, some Ride ranks, and the ability to speak Draconic, but it gives you a Dragonnel as a steed, and says that it serves you "much like a cohort." Now, whether that actually makes it a cohort is between you and your DM, but either way you're getting a Large Dragon mount with 40 foot land speed, 90 foot flying speed (average maneuverability), several immunities, darkvision, scent, and a 1/day roar attack. You don't need to be an ubercharger to benefit from that.

Seerow
2015-04-16, 09:33 AM
More less combat which made me think of a griffon or felldrake, I'd prefer a non flyer though so I was looking for something other than a griffon.

Huh? I'm confused what's the point of a mount that doesn't fly?

I was going to suggest Stone Flyer (gets Flight AND Earth Glide!), but if you don't want flight... I dunno, Advanced Dire Wolf? I have no idea what the ECL is on creatures that don't have a listed LA.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-16, 09:55 AM
I'm going to agree that a Stone Flyer from Underdark is going to be your best choice, it has 5 HD and a +5 LA, 50 ft. land speed, 60 ft. (average) fly speed, and it can swim through earth and stone without leaving a tunnel or giving any indication of its presence, plus carry a rider with it while it does so, and it has tremorsense, DR, and SR.

A Nightmare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nightmare.htm) is ECL 10. Sadly you're two levels shy for a Lammasu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lammasu.htm). I would have suggested an Advanced Blink Dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/blinkDog.htm) but its blink and dimension door won't extend to a rider.