PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New race: The Arctic Elf!

inuyasha
2015-04-15, 09:42 PM
Arctic Elf

Physical Description:
The Arctic Elf strongly resembles its high elf kin, though shorter and much paler in color (of skin and eyes), and they have hair like that of the drow with the occasional bluish tint.
Society:
The Arctic Elf lives in loose tribes, they hunt for food and they build complex snares and traps to do so. Because of this isolation they’ve developed brutal behaviors and attitudes that most races find disturbing.
Relations:
Like all other elves, Arctic Elves do not interact well with orcs, training against them and hating them extensively. They have a strange relationship with everyone else as well, viewing them as tools and temporary allies to reach a certain goal, but it is a rare event that “friendships” develop with Arctic Elves and a member of another race, though this bond is very strong, and not easily broken
Alignment and Religion
Arctic Elves are frequently of a chaotic alignment as they dislike society and live in the wilderness, though anything is possible.
As for religion, they worship the traditional elven pantheon, though they’re given different names, usually related to animals in some way, for instance, Corellon Larethian is called “The Great Owl”.
Adventurers
Frequently, Arctic Elves don’t become adventurers, though those that do are frequently ones that go hunting out further than normal for food and supplies.
Racial Traits:
• +2 Dex -2 Con -2 Cha
Arctic Elves are graceful, alert, and flexible like all elves, they also have a lack of resilience common to elves, the main difference is that due to their isolation they have a distinct savageness and lack of social skills.
• Orcish battle-training: Though not the most adept at killing them, Arctic Elves are good at dodging orc’s attacks and grabbing them from unexpected angles, gaining a +2 dodge bonus on AC against them, and a +2 on grapple checks against them
• Arctic Resistance: Arctic Elves get a +4 bonus on constitution checks and fortitude saves against fatigue and exhaustion in cold environments, as well as any other situations like that (as determined by GM)
• Snowbound: because they are adept at hunting in the snow, they are also adept at hiding with it. When granted concealment in an area with snow, the miss chance increases by 5%
• Silent hunter: An Arctic elf reduces the penalty for moving at normal speed while sneaking by 5, and may run while sneaking at a -20 penalty
• Lowlight vision
• Arctic elves have a +2 bonus on Spot and Listen checks
• Elven immunities: Artic Elves are immune to all magic sleep effects, and have a +2 racial bonus against charming effects
• Proficiencies: Like all elves, Arctic Elves are proficient with longswords, scimitars, and all types of bows.
• Languages: Elven, Bonus languages: Common, Draconic, Sylvan, Auran, Aquan, Celestial, Infernal, Undercommon
• Favored Class: Ranger

The reason why I made this is that I wanted a race of elves that are savage hunters, living in the wilderness and living off of the land as opposed to the high, mighty, regal elves that use magic for all of their problems and live in grand cities while wearing mithril chain mail.

Now, I know what your thinking, "Just use Grugach Inuyasha! That's exactly what you're describing!", well, I dislike the idea of a race of elves with a strength bonus, as well as the fact that I find them rather bland, so I decided to make my own kind of elf, that kills and skins...polar bears...and they...murder penguins for fun!

Also, just a note, I used the Pathfinder race builder with a few modifications to create this race, though it is meant for 3.5

inuyasha
2015-04-17, 12:24 PM
*Bump*

It'd be really cool if these guys got some PEACHing, I'm not sure if these guys are balanced.

Debihuman
2015-04-17, 09:10 PM
Compared to standard arctic elves (which do not have a strength bonus as seen here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticElves ), yours might be OP.

Debby

Temotei
2015-04-17, 10:15 PM
Compared to standard arctic elves (which do not have a strength bonus as seen here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticElves ), yours might be OP.

Debby

Honestly, I doubt it. Arctic elves get -2 Str, +2 Dex, this race gets +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Cha. You've got a net loss in ability scores, and the other features are either just elf features or minor benefits that won't apply all too often, and even when they do, they won't be very strong.

The race seems fine to me mechanically.

inuyasha
2015-04-17, 11:22 PM

Debby

I had honestly forgotten that subrace existed! I mostly made this as my version of the savage grugach, and I think that mine has a bit more flavor and difference to it, making it a distinct subrace like the drow (which is why they are so much more interesting than the other subraces, they get an actual description and stat block for their difference), whereas the Arctic elf you linked to has a lack of the thing that makes me want to play an elf (I like that search ability) for a +2 on crafting checks and survival checks in cold environments only (...yay). And while I JUST now realized that my elf doesn't have that either, I think that the other abilities added make up for that a bit.