PDA

View Full Version : Nale's Familiar

Icewalker
2007-04-15, 02:39 AM
As I realized when I started this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2401504#post2401504) thread here, Nale has levels in sorcerer, yet has made no sign of any familiar. Is his like V's, and every normal players, forgotten until mentioned? If so, why has no one mentioned it yet?

Also, if one shows up, what do you think it'd be?
My guess is for weasel.

Hiruma
2007-04-15, 02:46 AM
Or maybe he chose not to have a familiar.

blackout
2007-04-15, 02:55 AM
I'm thinking an imp or mephit of some kind. He IS evil, after all.

Icewalker
2007-04-15, 02:57 AM
Can you take imps as familiars? I though it was only mindless creatures, and I think they are intelligent.

And he's Nale, he multi-classed to fighter/rogue/sorcerer because he though Bards were underpowered, I don't think he'd choose to avoid a familiar. He could have been hiding it due to the evil opposites plan.

blackout
2007-04-15, 03:25 AM
Oh, wait he's a sorc, not a wiz. Nevermind, my bad.

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-04-15, 03:39 AM
Eh. I can see him taking Improved Familiar for an imp.

dragon95046
2007-04-15, 03:47 AM
This discussion may cross into that spoiler area as I ponder the truth behind the matter...or as I just make stuff up, whichever is appropriate. Just in case, better safe than sorry.

I highly doubt he even has one. I think he would see it more as a costly (100 gp) liability. He hangs out with evil people for a living. In addition he is only part Sorcerer, so it doesn't even bring in that many benefits. A slain familiar would cost him way to much and a living one gives any one of his evil companions access to undue leverage against him.

Besides, he has those variety of classes as a complicated way of mimicking a bard. Bards don't have familiars, so I doubt he does either.

Mummy king
2007-04-15, 06:42 AM
This discussion may cross into that spoiler area as I ponder the truth behind the matter...or as I just make stuff up, whichever is appropriate. Just in case, better safe than sorry.

I highly doubt he even has one. I think he would see it more as a costly (100 gp) liability. He hangs out with evil people for a living. In addition he is only part Sorcerer, so it doesn't even bring in that many benefits. A slain familiar would cost him way to much and a living one gives any one of his evil companions access to undue leverage against him.

Besides, he has those variety of classes as a complicated way of mimicking a bard. Bards don't have familiars, so I doubt he does either.

Beat me to it. He's trying to be Elan's evil opposite, and Elan doesn't have one.

Threeshades
2007-04-15, 07:51 AM
Beat me to it. He's trying to be Elan's evil opposite, and Elan doesn't have one.

elan also doesnt fave levels in barbarian or wizard (which is the opposites to fighter and sorcerer more or less)

Jaltum
2007-04-15, 07:58 AM
elan also doesnt fave levels in barbarian or wizard (which is the opposites to fighter and sorcerer more or less)

...what?

Nale is a fighter/sorceror/rogue because that multiclass approximates the jack of all trades nature of a bard. Not because rogue is the opposite of bard.

Ranis
2007-04-15, 08:03 AM
Sabine probably got jealous of his attention and ate it.

Doglord
2007-04-15, 08:12 AM
Belkar dosent have an animal companion either.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-15, 08:16 AM
Maybe he accessed some sort of improved version of the improved familiar feat and Sabine is his familiar....¬_¬

PirateMonk
2007-04-15, 08:22 AM
I've been wondering about this for a while, and never got around to posting a thread for it. Also: where's Samantha's familiar? She's not evil oppositing anyone.

NeonRonin
2007-04-15, 08:43 AM
I think Nale's too busy thinking up grandiose yet stale plans to pony up the cash for a familiar. Besides, Thog's ice cream intake probably drains what petty cash they may have.

As for the deceased Samantha, she was probably too busy pushing other people around in the bandit camp to get one. Pompey, I'm guessing, was still too much of a newbie wizard to have the cash and materials to get one, or maybe he was waiting for an Improved Familiar.

And now I'm wondering whether or not Julia will pick out a familiar...

Querzis
2007-04-15, 10:52 AM

He didnt even knew Elan was a bard before he met him in the dungeon of Durokan, as stupid as it sound, the first Linear Guild were the OOTS opposite by accident (or because of the plot, call it whatever you want) not because Nale was trying to find opposite for them. And I highly doubt he took any level since he fought them the first time, if he doesnt have a familiar its once again just because of the plot.

Legendary
2007-04-15, 10:54 AM
Still, his class configuration is DESIGNED to mimic the bard, regardless of whether or not he was trying to be an opposite. He wouldn't use a familiar.

Klev
2007-04-15, 11:02 AM
Still, his class configuration is DESIGNED to mimic the bard, regardless of whether or not he was trying to be an opposite. He wouldn't use a familiar.
Well not really, he actually thought that bards were underpowered. He wouldn't disregard only because of the bard class.

His familiar is in the same place that Belkar Animal Companion. It may appear if necessary for the plot otherwise he will continue without one.

MReav
2007-04-15, 11:11 AM
I think people with familiars don't have them appear except when they're called for. However, given Nale's multiclassing and the fact that Familiars are easy ways to lose XP, I doubt he has one.

Assassinfox
2007-04-15, 12:51 PM
Maybe he accessed some sort of improved version of the improved familiar feat and Sabine is his familiar....¬_¬

You've got the right idea, but you're taking it in the wrong direction.

Thog is his familiar! :smallbiggrin:

dragongirl13
2007-04-15, 01:02 PM
Nale doesn't have a familiar. Just because he's an arcane spellcaster doesn't mean he has to have a familiar.

Icewalker
2007-04-15, 02:50 PM
He didnt even knew Elan was a bard before he met him in the dungeon of Durokan, as stupid as it sound, the first Linear Guild were the OOTS opposite by accident (or because of the plot, call it whatever you want) not because Nale was trying to find opposite for them. And I highly doubt he took any level since he fought them the first time, if he doesnt have a familiar its once again just because of the plot.

No, I'm pretty sure they knew beforehand. He says "I've invested a lot into this whole evil opposites thing", implying that he planned it.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-15, 02:55 PM
You've got the right idea, but you're taking it in the wrong direction.

Thog is his familiar! :smallbiggrin:

He doesn't seem to have much of an empathetic link.

Klev
2007-04-15, 03:01 PM
No, I'm pretty sure they knew beforehand. He says "I've invested a lot into this whole evil opposites thing", implying that he planned it.

Yeah I remember something similar but I can't place where....
Still that would only apply to choosing the members of LG, there is no way that Nale choose his class to oppose Elan choice as a bard, for a lvl 13th ish that would require waaay too much thought.

Icewalker
2007-04-15, 03:27 PM
Yeah, that was probably coincidence. As brothers, they had similar ideas (jack-of-all trades quick fighter and caster) but Nale's father taught him bards were underpowered.