PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best Monastic Tradition for bodyguard-type Monk?

Guyver87
2015-04-16, 12:03 AM
Hi there.

Me and my old group had finally decided to let go of 3.5 and try out D&D 5e.

Our DM had proposed a test campaign set in Cormyr, during the last few years of Azoun IV. The first arc of the campaign would be about the Party setting up an inn in Tilverton, and getting involved with local politics. At least till Orc uprising, and the siege of city starts...

One of my fellow players wants to try out a Cleric, and he had chosen Kossuth as his patron. Since in the 3.5 it is said, that Church of Kossuth has three orders of Monks at it's service, we had decided that my Monk would be Cleric's bodyguard.

Now, I have a slight problem with choosing a Monastic Tradition for my hero. Because of his role he should be focused on support, and battlefield control if possible, but since I never played a 5ed Monk, I am kinda lost on how to do this.

Way of Shadows seems a bit out of place for a Monk serving god of fire, light etc, so I disregarded it. Also, it seems to me that most of the skills from this Path are more useful to a scout/assassin than a bodyguard...

Playing a Firebend... I mean Monk with the Way of the Four Elements focused on fire would be good thematically, but I am not really sure about how useful this Path is.

Way of the Open Hand seems most "pure" Monk, so maybe this? Don't know if it's good for a character who is supposed to work as a support.

So, what do You guys think?

Thanks for help!

Safety Sword
2015-04-16, 12:08 AM
Hi there.

Me and my old group had finally decided to let go of 3.5 and try out D&D 5e.

Our DM had proposed a test campaign set in Cormyr, during the last few years of Azoun IV. The first arc of the campaign would be about the Party setting up an inn in Tilverton, and getting involved with local politics. At least till Orc uprising, and the siege of city starts...

One of my fellow players wants to try out a Cleric, and he had chosen Kossuth as his patron. Since in the 3.5 it is said, that Church of Kossuth has three orders of Monks at it's service, we had decided that my Monk would be Cleric's bodyguard.

Now, I have a slight problem with choosing a Monastic Tradition for my hero. Because of his role he should be focused on support, and battlefield control if possible, but since I never played a 5ed Monk, I am kinda lost on how to do this.

Way of Shadows seems a bit out of place for a Monk serving god of fire, light etc, so I disregarded it. Also, it seems to me that most of the skills from this Path are more useful to a scout/assassin than a bodyguard...

Playing a Firebend... I mean Monk with the Way of the Four Elements focused on fire would be good thematically, but I am not really sure about how useful this Path is.

Way of the Open Hand seems most "pure" Monk, so maybe this? Don't know if it's good for a character who is supposed to work as a support.

So, what do You guys think?

Thanks for help!

Now and in times past bodyguards were taught martial arts to defend their charges. Sounds like Open Hand for a bit of close personal protection.

Giant2005
2015-04-16, 12:11 AM
Open Hand makes the best bodyguard (Unless you want to be a Bodyguard that lurks from the shadows such as Akutsuki from Log Horizon).
It is the most thematic and has the best protection style abilities prior to gaining Stunning Strike (Which all of the Monks share). With Flurry of Blows and the Open Hand Technique, you could potentially keep an attacker away from your Cleric without your Cleric even needing to move. Simply knock him prone and then kick him 15' away. For that attacker to get back where he started from, he would need to have a movement speed of at least 30' per turn. If he can't do that, he can't get in melee range of your Cleric and if he can do that, then your Cleric will only have to use his move to move back a few feet to remove that opportunity.