PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The Half-Genie

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-16, 07:43 AM
"Half-Genie" is a template that can be added to any corporeal living humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The creature's type changes to Outsider (Native). It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Change to d8.

Speed: All half-genies have a fly speed. A half-genie that didn't already now have a fly speed equal to twice the base creature's fastest mode of movement, with good maneuverability.

Weapon Proficiency: The half-genie is proficient with any weapons or armor the base creature had, with the addition of: the Scimitar, Falchion and Whip.

Special Attacks: A half-genie with Charisma or Wisdom 8 or higher (after the ability score adjustments noted below) gain spell-like abilities, using its Hit Dice as its caster level. The table below lists the abilities available. These abilities are cumulative; a half-genie with 3 HD can use the abilities on the 1-2 HD row on the table as well as those on the 3-4 HD row. When a half-genie gets a choice between two abilities (such as Create Water or Invisibility at 1-2 HD), it can choose anew between these abilities each day.

HD Abilities

1-2 Endure Elements at will, Hypnotism 1/day, Create Water or Invisibility 1/day

3-4 Detect Magic 3/day, Mirror Image or Command 1/day

5-6 Protection From X 3/day, Blindness/Deafness or Dispel Magic 1/day

7-8 Bestow Curse or Remove Curse 1/day

9-10 Baleful Polymorph or Dimension Door 1/day

11-12 Major Creation or Persistent Image 1/day

13-14 Plane Shift (self only) 1/day

15-16 Animate Objects or Heroes' Feast 1/day

17-18 Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion or Shadow Evocation 1/day

19+ Limited Wish (non-genies only, and only three per person) or Shadow Conjuration 1/day

Special Qualities: Half-genies have 60-ft. darkvision and are immune to illusion spells and effects.

Abilities: Adjust from the base creature as follows: Dex +2, Con -2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

Skills: A half-genie has skill points equal to (8 + its Int modifier) x (its Hit Dice + 3). Treat skills possessed by the base creature as class skills and other skills as cross-class. If the creature has a class, it gains skill points for class levels normally.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2

Alignment: Any.

What are your thoughts? Honestly, this is just a re-worked half-fey template, so the originality belongs to WotC. In addition, although Fey and Outsider types differ in HD and power, I feel the +2 LA remains fair.

Like the half-fey, the half-genie makes an excellent sorcerer or druid.

Do you think the SLAs are okay? Personal bias towards the Noble/Djinn, so I added these abilities according to their preference.

Have you repurposed a half template before, and if so how? What did you come up with? Is it fair, balanced and pretty darn cool? Feel free to post yours!

Quick question on SLA, though. Would a sorcerer created with this (or even the half-fey template) add their SLA to Spells Known?

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-16, 07:44 AM
Reserved for Half-Genies as Characters.

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-16, 10:50 AM
Reserved for Sample Half-Genie

MReav
2015-04-16, 12:31 PM
Reserved for Sample Half-Genie

*Insert Shantae reference.*

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-16, 12:38 PM
I don't know who Shantae is, lol.

MReav
2015-04-16, 12:53 PM
I don't know who Shantae is, lol.

Shantae is a character from a series of video games. She had a Kickstarter for a game literally called "Shantae: Half-Genie Hero".

You can imagine what her race is.

MojoBojangles
2015-04-16, 02:42 PM
Well, mechanically I can't fully say (I'm not the best on balance), but it seems good. Flavor-wise, I like it too. One of my favorite races from 3.5 was the Genie-blooded halflings, actually, which I not-so-conveniently forget the name now. I've never heard of that kickstarter genie either, so don't feel left out. Am pretty interested to see where this goes. Keep up the good work.

PrismCat21
2015-04-16, 11:36 PM
I like it. :smallbiggrin: Keep up the good work.

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-17, 05:32 AM
Their name escapes me right now, too. Hm.

And thank you, everyone!

Is this something you as the DM would allow players to use? Would your DM let you play it?

Lemme know! :)

Edit: Finding it difficult to name my sample Half-Genie, but I've got the class and PrC all ready. As well, need some fluff ideas! :)

Edit: I think the Half-Genie's name will be Cadead ("Cuh-deed").

Debihuman
2015-04-30, 05:30 PM
A half-genie dog doesn't work well. Animals, vermin and plant creatures should probably be exempt.

Debby

TheBrassDuke
2015-05-01, 05:41 AM
Good point, but it would be funny.