PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simulacrum

Pippin
2015-04-16, 08:36 AM
1. Can I actually create a copy of a regular PC with simulacrum? Like, I don't know, I would like to have a Lv20 Artificer at home.

2. Can I choose his feats when I create it?

3. Can I add any and all templates when I create it?

The Insanity
2015-04-16, 08:54 AM
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. No.

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-16, 09:01 AM
Simulacrum makes an ice-man/snowman out of the earlier stages of a PC. Depends on what templates and feats they had a few levels back. So no, not necessarily.

You can find the spell description in the 3.5 Player's handbook.

Bronk
2015-04-16, 09:07 AM
Like, I don't know, I would like to have a Lv20 Artificer at home.

For your exact example, you'd need to be at least level 20 yourself, have 2000 gold worth of ruby dust, spend 2000XP, and be able to find and steal a piece of a 40th level artificer.

Pippin
2015-04-16, 09:56 AM
Right, thank you people.

I'd rather mindrape the Artificer.

Flickerdart
2015-04-16, 09:58 AM
This works better the other way - be a psionic artificer, Mind Seed a bunch of peasants, and then sell them in a shop.

Fouredged Sword
2015-04-16, 10:21 AM
The simulacrum has the same feats as the original at the time of creation. Psy reform your model into whatever shape you want pre-copy and change him back afterwards. You only need level 10 for most crafting feats, so target yourself with your early feats all targeted at crafting, then make a dedicated wright. It can work with the simulacrum to craft, with it providing the spell-casting and caster level and the simulacrum providing the feats. This allows you to use a dedicated wright even if you psi-reform the crafting feats away.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-16, 10:27 AM
Or you could just planar bind a Midgard Dwarf (FB). If you pay the costs of item creation the service shouldn't cost that much, and it's certainly less complicated.
Assuming you don't just use dominate or something after the calling to get it for free.

Pippin
2015-04-16, 10:44 AM
Okay thanks.

Not related, but I don't want to make another thread again: in what book can I find the Killer Gnome template ? I can't find this information anywhere on the Internet, it's like everyone knows but me.

Urpriest
2015-04-16, 10:58 AM
Okay thanks.

Not related, but I don't want to make another thread again: in what book can I find the Killer Gnome template ? I can't find this information anywhere on the Internet, it's like everyone knows but me.

Nobody has ever called it a template, it's a character build. Character builds are combinations of classes, feats, and so on that players have thought up that are particularly effective or interesting, they aren't parts of the rules.

Deadline
2015-04-16, 11:01 AM
Also, if you simply go to Google.com and pop in "d&d killer gnome", you'll have a whole page of links to information about the build.

Darrin
2015-04-16, 12:20 PM
Simulacrum creates a duplicate at half the HD/character level. You can abuse it at lower levels by using lesser planar binding to grab a mirror mephit (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits), which gets simulacrum as an SLA 1/day (up to 16 HD). However, if you really want to abuse the duplicate thing, you may want to consider using ice assassin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030124a) instead, which creates a duplicate with full HD/character level.

Check the Famous Optimized Character Build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258580) thread. The original Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/930001) can still be found on the WotC boards. There is also the Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1059231) if you're looking for the non-Shadowcraft version.