PDA

View Full Version : Character help: barbarian, druid, and ranger

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:08 AM
Ok for an upcoming campaign my players are wanting to use the classes mentioned above but want some help making their characters more viable and worth while. So i am asking for some advice, since I am new at 5.0. feats/races/whatever.

Barbarian- Deal damage, take a crap ton himself.

Druid- utility, support his allies. Don't think there is much i can do with this one.

Ranger- Ranged combat support, duel wield in combat.

Ralanr
2015-04-16, 10:12 AM
What's the party composition?

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:15 AM
What you mean?

Classes- shown above.
Race- need ideas.
Everything else- need ideas.

Ralanr
2015-04-16, 10:26 AM
What you mean?

Classes- shown above.
Race- need ideas.

Sorry I didn't notice the plurals.

There are several guides for these classes All lined up with each other here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D)

Though in all honesty they don't need to be optimized. Let them think of concepts first and work off from there.

-Jynx-
2015-04-16, 10:30 AM
What you mean?

Classes- shown above.
Race- need ideas.

Are you using standard 27 point buy for them or are they rolling for stats? That will change racial recommendations a bit.

I'm partial to Goliath as a race for Barbarian (The damage shrug off, the stat+ and the double weight carrying just fit very well with barbarian in my opinion) I'd probably go Totem barbarian taking at the very least the bear totem at first.

For the Ranger I'd probably pull for Human variant for the extra feat? This will heavily depend on what he wants his archetype to be though. BM with a swarm pet is neat, Spell-less ranger can be pretty neat with ranged maneuvers, whether he wants to use a crossbow or longbow can play a part in it as well.

I have no experience in druids so I have no recommendations for that.

I do like the idea though of a Bear totem barbarian, a Beast master ranger with a bear for a pet, and a druid wildshaping into a bear. Sounds Beartastic.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:31 AM
Honestly sometimes i think they rely to much on me building things for them. About to say no help from DM in creation anymore.
Side note, thanks.

Xetheral
2015-04-16, 10:43 AM
Barbarian: Variant Human. Take the Sentinel Feat to allow partial protection of Ranger and/or Druid. Use reckless attack a lot to further incentivize attacking the Barbarian. Eventually go Totem Barbarian and pick up Wolf to help the Ranger in Melee. Alternatively take Bear for more damage absorption, and use Polearm Master instead of Sentinel (this works better if the Ranger favors ranged over melee).

Druid: Any race with a wisdom boost. Go land druid and focus on buffs and debuffs.

Ranger: Variant Human. Emphasize Strength. Take Dual Wielder feat and fight with javelins for both melee and (short) ranged two-weapon fighting (consider splashing a level of fighter for a second fighting style). Stand next to the Barbarian for advantage from Wolf Totem. Alternatively, Emphasize Dex and take Crossbow Expert and wield a pair of crossbows for both "melee" and ranged, or Sharpshooter with a bow and a pair of shortswords (consider splashing a level of fighter for a second fighting style). With any of these options, if emphasizing Ranged take Horde Breaker at level 3 (ranged increases the likelihood you'll be able to use it), if emphasizing melee take Colossus Slayer (dual-wielding and sticking near the barbarian increases the likelihood you'll be able to use it.)

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:46 AM
Now there is some good ideas. Ill show the players and see whey they think. Also the druid and ranger have a race apparently. Some elf, thinking wood elf.

MustacheFart
2015-04-16, 11:14 AM
I've been playing a barbarian for a while now so I'll chime in there. I am a half-Orc which is great for damage but given your other thread I second the advice to pick Goliath.

Also have him go path of the totem. Berserker is a trap. Lastly, have him pick bear totem at level 3. After that it doesn't matter. Given your party's difficulties I implore you to have him pick bear totem.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 11:17 AM
He likes Goliath's so that is good advice. I'll talk to him about the totem thing since they are wanting a nature team. Makes sense and I think he will like it.

Ardantis
2015-04-16, 12:40 PM
And when their powers combine?

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 01:01 PM

Uh I would answer but not sure what you are asking exactly.

Joe the Rat
2015-04-16, 01:15 PM

I think they need an Archfey Warlock and an Oath of the Ancients Paladin (Use the Outlander or possibly Hermit backgrounds to emphasize the outdoorsy skillset) to form
Captain [insert name of campaign world].

The Outlander background can open up a lot of options. You've got the wilderness survivor / naturalist theme going without having to be nature-powered.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 01:18 PM
I think they need an Archfey Warlock and an Oath of the Ancients Paladin (Use the Outlander or possibly Hermit backgrounds to emphasize the outdoorsy skillset) to form
Captain [insert name of campaign world].

The Outlander background can open up a lot of options. You've got the wilderness survivor / naturalist theme going without having to be nature-powered.

LMFAO CAPTAIN TOIL!!!!
Doesn't sound so great actually....