PDA

View Full Version : Tien Shinhan idea

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:14 AM
So my players scrapped his Monk idea. But it gave me another idea, I like how Tien use to be a bad guy in D&D and his mentality. So i am trying to recreate him in D&D as a minion of the main villain.

I have the list of ki and kiai feats my player had wanted, they will fit nicely. My main question is how to pull off his other abilities and features.
His third eye, ability to sprout extra arms, etc. I am thinking a psionic/monk build, actually that is exactly what I would like to use. I fail in the psionic area so any suggestions?

Not meant to be a direct copy of his, just a more demonic remake with similar look/concept. Actually he was defeated by main villain, losing his arm (using the geryon blah blah or whatever to replace missing limb with demon arm) and is training to defeat main villain but unwilling to allow anyone else to do it.

Karl Aegis
2015-04-16, 10:46 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Girallon Arms) works for sprouting new arms.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:48 AM
That it does. Also might fit well with the master of ki/kiai i am also working into it.
Is there a good monk/incarnum build idea? Originally thought of the monk/psionic warrior build because it is powerful and has some nice powers but up to anything at this point.

Snowbluff
2015-04-16, 10:49 AM
The walking corpse, tight? Monk levels should do fine. Make sure he seems weaker with each fight, until he's entirely irrelevant to the plot. :smalltongue:

You can try a Swordsage.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:52 AM
Lmao. Was wondering when that would come up. He is more relevant then krillin or yamacha throughout the manga. Atleast he does something in the buu saga and new movie lol. But that is a different topic.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-16, 11:19 AM
Your a good man and should feel good

Still when converting something from another source try not be to married to the concept because everything won't likely convert that well. The same problem came up on the 5E board with a One Piece conversion attempt

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 11:33 AM
I am aware of that, personal experience with it. This character is just based on him. Actually mentioned how he changed slightly above. I simply wanted to copy his multi arms when needed, third eye, and some abilities.

Tien himself was a cool character until he, like some others, basically fell out of the story. Freaking saiyans.

Petrocorus
2015-04-16, 05:20 PM
I have the list of ki and kiai feats my player had wanted, they will fit nicely. My main question is how to pull off his other abilities and features.
His third eye, ability to sprout extra arms, etc. I am thinking a psionic/monk build, actually that is exactly what I would like to use. I fail in the psionic area so any suggestions?

Please no more than 2 levels of Monk. A Monk 2 / Psy War 18 would be perfectly suitable.
You can add a template or a bloodline for the more exotic feature like the 3rd eye.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 08:50 PM
Please no more than 2 levels of Monk. A Monk 2 / Psy War 18 would be perfectly suitable.
You can add a template or a bloodline for the more exotic feature like the 3rd eye.

Thank you. Exactly the kind of ideas i am wanting. It also allows me to make him the more demented kind of character i was aiming to twist him into. Willing deformity feat that gives you a marking on your head...can't remember what.

DMVerdandi
2015-04-16, 09:18 PM
Monk 1/Erudite 19
Get the tashalatora feat, and kung fu genius.

The rest is up to you.
Grab Convert spell to power. Get whatever useful spells you want.
(Remember, you can only manifest as many different spells as your UPPD. If you have 5, then that essentially means you have 5 spells to chose from that day.)

Dodonpa (Energy ray)
Kamehameha (Energy push or orb of force[STP])
Four Witches Technique (Girallon's Blessing[STP])
Solar Flare (Luminous Gaze[STP])
Kikoushou (Flame strike [STP])
Power up (Most buffs. There are plenty even without Convert spell to power, but it just makes doing so easier)

Suggestion? Create a feat that gives modifies the amount of Unique powers per day to maybe 1/Level.
That will fix the erudite right up.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 09:20 PM
Thank you. that replicates everything i wanted. He can't be to powerful though, my player's suck.

Petrocorus
2015-04-16, 09:39 PM
Even without using Swordsage, there are actually many monkish builds out there that emulates the monk with only 2 levels of monk, or none at all. Tashalatora PsyWar, Tashalatora Ardent, straight PsyWar, Clawlock, but you can also go into more exotic ones like Paladin of F. / Battle Dancer / Shugenja / Sacred Fist.

There is also a Barbarian build that use IUS and SNA line of feat and some dipping to make a monk. I don't perform to put my hand on it right now.

All this solutions are more efficient than straight Monk and can fit your concept better.

j_spencer93
2015-04-17, 02:13 AM
well I was thinking the monk/psywar thing. As said above lol.

Feint's End
2015-04-17, 06:38 AM
I hope I'm not derailing this thread or offending anyone but the name should be written Tian Xinhan (spoken as tien shinhan). At least if you go by chinese transcription.
Its bugging me to see it written this way.

j_spencer93
2015-04-17, 07:21 AM
I hope I'm not derailing this thread or offending anyone but the name should be written Tian Xinhan (spoken as tien shinhan). At least if you go by chinese transcription.
Its bugging me to see it written this way.

No, your fine lol. Honestly, I just used his American name out of laziness. I prefer his japanese name to either.

ben-zayb
2015-04-17, 10:50 AM
Monk 1/Erudite 19
Get the tashalatora feat, and kung fu genius.

The rest is up to you.
Grab Convert spell to power. Get whatever useful spells you want.
(Remember, you can only manifest as many different spells as your UPPD. If you have 5, then that essentially means you have 5 spells to chose from that day.)

Dodonpa (Energy ray)
Kamehameha (Energy push or orb of force[STP])
Four Witches Technique (Girallon's Blessing[STP])
Solar Flare (Luminous Gaze[STP])
Kikoushou (Flame strike [STP])
Power up (Most buffs. There are plenty even without Convert spell to power, but it just makes doing so easier)

Suggestion? Create a feat that gives modifies the amount of Unique powers per day to maybe 1/Level.
That will fix the erudite right up.

You forgot the misnomered "Tri- Beam" that (not surprisingly) leaves a diamond-shaped hole on the ground.

j_spencer93
2015-04-17, 04:29 PM
You forgot the misnomered "Tri- Beam" that (not surprisingly) leaves a diamond-shaped hole on the ground.

crap that is a must have too. kind of his signature lol

DMVerdandi
2015-04-17, 04:37 PM

crap that is a must have too. kind of his signature lol

see "Kikoushou (Chi kung cannon)"

j_spencer93
2015-04-17, 07:22 PM
see "Kikoushou (Chi kung cannon)"

Flame strike doesn't really fit though, could easily replace it with something else though. Needs to be a powerful blast with knockback effect.