PDA

View Full Version : DMG races table

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:32 AM
Ok in the DMG there is a table of NPC races. My players have asked for 5.0 versions of several races on there, since they loved them in 3.5. Would you allow players to use those stats given? I noticed the arakocra or whatever are different in there official stats then given there.

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-16, 10:33 AM
Those races are not balanced for use by PCs. Use the race creation guidelines to homebrew something good, or use something someone else has created

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:35 AM
Some of don't seem bad. Kobold was a particular one asked for actually. That and orc.

Daishain
2015-04-16, 11:18 AM
They probably all need tweaking, at least assuming you want them to be balanced against the standard PC races. But beyond that, sure. I don't see much point and purpose in denying the possibility, at least so long as the player's purpose in choosing the race is not cheesing one's way to OP.

The only other exception might be if the chosen race simply won't work in the setting, but that doesn't seem to be of concern here.

burninatortrog
2015-04-16, 11:20 AM
For kobold players, just use the halfling stats but give them Darkvision instead of Brave. For orc players, just use the half-orc stats.

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 11:31 AM
Well they asked for those without seeing the stats in the DMG so OP isn't a concern. Kobold i really don't see a problem with using as given. However, i am skeptical on using those stats as they do not match the stats given for a race published later out on that chart. I think i will just hold off for now.

darkscizor
2015-04-21, 10:48 PM
I have created a kobold trapmaking CN rogue with the DMG stats, and it turned out to be pretty balanced. Sunlight sensitivity and pack tactics pretty much cancel each other out (when aboveground) anyways. The DMG traits and considering balance don't really mater when everyone's having fun, at least in my experience. If PCs are getting over what's supposed to be a hard challenge easily by flying over (arracocra) or are drastically OP/taking the spotlight from other players, then you might have a problem. But you don't have to force a PC into playing a character of a race they don't want to play because you think it might not be balanced with the rest of their party.

j_spencer93
2015-04-22, 07:25 AM
think i might allow them next game