PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass advice? (Fighter)

Alejandro
2015-04-16, 01:06 PM
I've got a human fighter that's just made 5th level and gotten my Extra Attack, lots of fun. (PC is a dextrous rapier user, Duelist, Battlemaster, has the feat to try and block an attack as a reaction.) I have good Dexterity (obviously) and also a 14 Charisma, so if I were to multiclass, I have options like Rogue, Sorcerer, Bard, Warlock. The party has a bard, but none of the others.

Would it be worth it to just stay a Fighter, or are there decent multiclass options among these choices? I'm open to suggestions.

MrStabby
2015-04-16, 01:13 PM
I would vote rogue.

Use riposte to get extra sneak attacks and you can do obscene amounts of damage. Cunning action gives you a lot of extra mobility and options. Extra skill, at higher levels you can use your reaction for half damage if you want to tank instead of hurt...

The casters are generally less good unless you go pure caster as you are behind on the high level spells that really make them worthwhile. Sometimes you get something you want, but not that often.

Alejandro
2015-04-16, 08:50 PM
I would vote rogue.

Use riposte to get extra sneak attacks and you can do obscene amounts of damage. Cunning action gives you a lot of extra mobility and options. Extra skill, at higher levels you can use your reaction for half damage if you want to tank instead of hurt...

The casters are generally less good unless you go pure caster as you are behind on the high level spells that really make them worthwhile. Sometimes you get something you want, but not that often.

How many levels of rogue?

I mostly considered Warlock, for example, for things like Hex and the pact blade.

Malifice
2015-04-16, 09:31 PM
How many levels of rogue?

At least 2 levels.

Seriously, expertise in Acrobatics and (pick any skill). Add in cunning action (bonus action disengage, dash and hide) for extra mobility. Fits your mobile duelist archetype perfectly.

Although honestly, I would go up to 5th level for sneak attack +3d6 and Uncanny dodge for improved offence and defence. Thief archetype (again for fluff with second story work, and fast hands). Thats the sweet spot for me.

As a final option, Rogue 8/ Fighter 12 grants +4d6 sneak attack, expertise twice, uncany dodge, cunning action and evasion, a ton of feats and you still get 3 attacks per round (and action surge) from Fighter.

You're using a finesse weapon, so you'll get to use the sneak attack every round without fail (make sure you shove them first, feint or menacing attack them to guarantee advantage if you haven't got an ally nearby)

numerek
2015-04-16, 10:04 PM
if you are going rogue I would do expertise athletics, for shove, I know you are a battle master which has maneuvers and you are a dex fighter but those dice can run out and most monster just aren't that good at resisting getting knocked prone. as far as 5th level and uncanny dodge that competes with the feat he already has.

One thing to consider with warlock is hex is a concentration spell, so you will need to be making a lot of concentration checks when you take damage and it will suck when you fail. Also depending on your dm(magic weapon availability) I don't think pact of blade gives much until 12th level and with 14 charisma that is only +2 damage. great old one could be good though for some extra staying power, and even with only a +2 from charisma eldritch blast could still be a good ranged damage option.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-16, 10:20 PM
I vote rogue as well. You could use the bonus actions it provides, as well as the SA, expertise, and eventual evasion. What might work well at your current investment is aiming for fighter 11 / rogue 9.

Malifice
2015-04-17, 01:04 AM
I vote rogue as well. You could use the bonus actions it provides, as well as the SA, expertise, and eventual evasion. What might work well at your current investment is aiming for fighter 11 / rogue 9.

The 11/9 split loses out on 2 ASI/ Feats. I prefer 12/8 myself. The extra d6 sneak attack could easily be made up with +4 Dex (+2 hit, damage, AC, initiative)

eleazzaar
2015-04-17, 05:47 AM
Staying fighter will get you more of those extra attacks.

Going rogue will expand your bag of tricks, but still enhance your core function (melee/ranged damage).

Adding sorcerer or warlock would not improve your core function much, but would give you a broader variety of powers. Though you could look for spells that would enhance what you are already being a swashbuckling type fighter.

Chances are rogue or fighter would be more mechanicaly optimal, but you might just choose what sounds more fun.

MrStabby
2015-04-17, 05:57 AM
Staying fighter will get you more of those extra attacks.

Going rogue will expand your bag of tricks, but still enhance your core function (melee/ranged damage).

Adding sorcerer or warlock would not improve your core function much, but would give you a broader variety of powers. Though you could look for spells that would enhance what you are already being a swashbuckling type fighter.

Chances are rogue or fighter would be more mechanicaly optimal, but you might just choose what sounds more fun.

Magic initiate may be a better option than taking caster levels. Hex/hunters mark are always good lvl 1 spells or you could grab guidance for skills. Damage cantrips give you versatility at range, illusions give you some other tricks.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-17, 08:12 AM
The 11/9 split loses out on 2 ASI/ Feats. I prefer 12/8 myself. The extra d6 sneak attack could easily be made up with +4 Dex (+2 hit, damage, AC, initiative)

One ASI actually, from fighter 12. May still be more useful than the extra sneak attack, though.

Finieous
2015-04-17, 08:27 AM

+1. You still get 5 ASIs and can get 4/5 by 12th level (just aim for F8/R4).

Alejandro
2015-04-17, 09:29 AM
A lot of great advice. I think Rogue might be a good idea. :) And I had not thought of taking the Magic Initiate feat to get a few spells to play with, without actually taking a caster class. Also a good idea. I don't know how high level this game is going to reach to, so high-level strategies aren't as relevant right now as what I could enjoy right away.

Person_Man
2015-04-17, 09:50 AM
I suggest Fighter 6/Rogue 8/Fighting 7-12. Get your next Ability Score Increase/Feat (hopefully putting Dex or Con to 20, or getting your favorite Feat). Then you pick up the meat of the Rogue's best abilities (presumably Assassin, unless your DM lets you use Fast Hands for magic items or readily available poison or you want to take the Healer Feat). Then finish off Fighter for a bit more damage and an other attack.

eleazzaar
2015-04-17, 12:21 PM
A lot of great advice. I think Rogue might be a good idea. :) And I had not thought of taking the Magic Initiate feat to get a few spells to play with, without actually taking a caster class. Also a good idea. I don't know how high level this game is going to reach to, so high-level strategies aren't as relevant right now as what I could enjoy right away.

There's also the possibility of the Arcane trickster at Rogue 3, you'll get a few spells, but not as much stabby-stabby rogue stuff.

Camman1984
2015-04-17, 02:08 PM
How would it be maybe going the other way 8 fighter 12 rogue?

Easy_Lee
2015-04-17, 02:22 PM
How would it be maybe going the other way 8 fighter 12 rogue?

Gets 7 ASIs, gives up the level 13 and 14 rogue features. It's a good split for a feat or stat-heavy build.