PDA

View Full Version : Trailer: Star Wars: The Force Awakened

pendell
2015-04-16, 02:12 PM
And it looks AWESOME (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs) .

I may just forgive them for ditching Thrawn if the movie holds up as well.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

TheThan
2015-04-16, 02:17 PM
And it looks AWESOME (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs) .

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I was just about to post a thread about this. I think it's going to be quite good. needless to say this sparking my interest all over again. can't wait for Christmas.

t209
2015-04-16, 02:23 PM
I hope there will be no Jar Jar Binks or the terrible story to make parallels with then-current politics (I mean Princess Amadela have many sources on Trade Federation attack and the Chancellor could spin on this for his own gains).

Giggling Ghast
2015-04-16, 02:54 PM
UUUUGGGGGHHHH I CAME to this thread to express my satisfaction with this trailer.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-04-16, 03:41 PM
It's happening! Hell yes!!!

Legato Endless
2015-04-16, 03:44 PM
Star Destroyers look oddly more majestic when their crashed and half buried in the ground. Having played Rogue Squadron, kind of hoping this turns out to be a set piece.

Hyena
2015-04-16, 03:58 PM
This movie is going to suck, the frame is nowhere near dense enough. Too little things going on. And where's Jar Jar? He was one of the funnier character we had.

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-16, 04:00 PM
Wait, is Han Solo still wearing the jacket and clothing from A New Hope? That was several decades ago. Isn't he like a general now or something. You'd think he could afford better clothes.

Mando Knight
2015-04-16, 04:04 PM
Wait, is Han Solo still wearing the jacket and clothing from A New Hope? That was several decades ago. Isn't he like a general now or something. You'd think he could afford better clothes.

It didn't look quite like the same jacket, but his overall style definitely hasn't changed.

Calemyr
2015-04-16, 04:07 PM
It didn't look quite like the same jacket, but his overall style definitely hasn't changed.

"Hey, when you look this good, you don't change what you don't have to."

McNum
2015-04-16, 04:07 PM
While the boring sensible voice in my head is telling me to lower my expectations and all that, my inner child is going "OMG! STAR WARS!!!" I think I'll go with that instead. Looks fun.

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-16, 04:17 PM
While the boring sensible voice in my head is telling me to lower my expectations and all that, my inner child is going "OMG! STAR WARS!!!" I think I'll go with that instead. Looks fun.

Your not alone there. The faint flutterings of new hope I first felt when Disney bought the franchise well I'm still cautious and honestly I expect a few rough edges but yeah looking at these a little voice in my heart tells me that these guys...

These guys get it.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-16, 05:06 PM
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/13MATTallica96/hypetraincomingthrough.jpg

Lord Raziere
2015-04-16, 05:12 PM
ok, let me see what all the fuss is about...

.....Cool.

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-16, 05:15 PM
"Hey, when you look this good, you don't change what you don't have to."

So does that mean Leia Organa will be wearing a gold bikini?

danzibr
2015-04-16, 05:21 PM
So does that mean Leia Organa will be wearing a gold bikini?
Yes plz.

Okay, j/k. Really... As old as Harrison Ford looks, I like the idea of burnt out, washed up heroes.

Oh, and that bad dude was highly reminiscent of Revan.

Oh, and I was going to say this trailer gave me a new hope for the sequel trilogy.

McNum
2015-04-16, 05:30 PM
So, you know that ball droid, BB-8? With the floating head on top of a ball and all that? Such a thing clearly has to be a CGI creature, there's no way you could ever build one of those...

Wait, it appeared live on stage? It's REAL?! (https://youtu.be/RXaDjuU0LHM)

So yeah. Not CGI. Real puppet. Next question: "How?"

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-16, 05:39 PM
Star Destroyers look oddly more majestic when their crashed and half buried in the ground. Having played Rogue Squadron, kind of hoping this turns out to be a set piece.

I agree. That shot is breathtaking.

I had high hopes for this from the start, since I kind of like Abrams' Star Trek -- heresy, I know.

Now I'm practically salivating in excitement, which is not a pretty sight by any stretch of the imagination. :smalltongue:

Sith_Happens
2015-04-16, 05:55 PM
So, you know that ball droid, BB-8? With the floating head on top of a ball and all that? Such a thing clearly has to be a CGI creature, there's no way you could ever build one of those...

My guess is magnets.

I had high hopes for this from the start, since I kind of like Abrams' Star Trek -- heresy, I know.

I forget what the context was, but someone in a past thread on this forum once remarked that "Star Trek is the best Star Wars movie I've ever seen." Few things have I read or heard that are truer than that sentence.:smallwink:

Lethologica
2015-04-16, 05:57 PM
Why is Chewie the same apparent age? oh my god this is such a nitpick shut up it'll be amazing

TheThan
2015-04-16, 05:59 PM
Oh, and I was going to say this trailer gave me a new hope for the sequel trilogy.

Hah! I got that…

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-16, 06:01 PM
Why is Chewie the same apparent age? oh my god this is such a nitpick shut up it'll be amazing

My Star Wars-fu (Force-fu?) is rusty, but don't wookiees live several hundred years?

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-16, 06:07 PM

As a number of references to a puppet are around the head may be being very carefully suspended from above to hold in place. While they may just be baiting us the lack of bragging on how suggest to me it might be a magic trick.

Otherwise some kind of carefully calibrated counter rollers and a magnet on a gyroscopic rig inside the ball portion.

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-16, 06:19 PM
As a number of references to a puppet are around the head may be being very carefully suspended from above to hold in place. While they may just be baiting us the lack of bragging on how suggest to me it might be a magic trick.

Otherwise some kind of carefully calibrated counter rollers and a magnet on a gyroscopic rig inside the ball portion.

Since they refer to "technology" used for the BB8 puppet, my personal guess is the second solution.

Rakaydos
2015-04-16, 06:29 PM
The ball only moves when the head leans in a direction, as expected. It really could be as simple as a "log rolling" robot on top of a ball.

danzibr
2015-04-16, 06:39 PM
Hah! I got that…
:D

Oh right, 10 characters.

Legato Endless
2015-04-16, 06:57 PM
My Star Wars-fu (Force-fu?) is rusty, but don't wookiees live several hundred years?

Naw, the Force is strong with you. :smallwink:

Wookies live over 400 years. Chewie was only 200 years old at the Battle of Yavin. He shouldn't look any different.

Giggling Ghast
2015-04-16, 07:15 PM
I liked the theory that BB8 is actually two separate robots.

http://mashable.com/2015/04/16/star-wars-bb8-technology/

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-16, 07:26 PM

Reverse dog years. Chewie was actually Palpatine's preschool teacher. And before that, Yoda's preschool teacher.:smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-16, 10:02 PM
Just watched it again, and a weird thought occurred to me ...

Are R2D2 and Luke sitting next to C3P0's funeral pyre? :smalleek:

jere7my
2015-04-16, 10:39 PM

In the EU, he was. Now, who knows? You must unlearn what you have learned.

(Note: Some people might know, because they read spoilers and rumors. I would rather not.)

Rakaydos
2015-04-16, 10:58 PM
In the EU, he was. Now, who knows? You must unlearn what you have learned.

(Note: Some people might know, because they read spoilers and rumors. I would rather not.)

Didnt someone call him "General Solo" in ESB? on Hoth?

jere7my
2015-04-16, 11:11 PM

Yes, thirty-some years ago he was canonically a general. Now, who knows?

russdm
2015-04-16, 11:18 PM
Things I noticed in the Trailer, which might mean something:

1) Crashed Star Destroyer, cool!

2) New Imperial Insignia, looks different from our standard Imperial symbol

3) Tie hanger fight!

4) Partially destroyed Vader helm, also look has a different mechanical hand

5) Luke talks to somebody, and we see somebody been given Luke's old lightsaber

6) We get to see a glimpse of a red armored stormie, plus new stormie helmets

7) New shuttle heading to star destroyer

8) Tie pilot outfits colored differently

9) Cross guard lightsaber guy wears mask like Revan did

10) Han and Chewie in the Falcon! "Chewie, We're home"!

I think that this movie will be simply awesome!

hamishspence
2015-04-17, 12:23 AM

Going by the engine layout - the ship whose engine the Falcon flies into, is an Executor-class.

BWR
2015-04-17, 12:31 AM
I love SW. I really want this movie to be good. I just can't work up any excitement for it. It looks better than the teaser we had a while back, certainly, but not enough better. There's no shaky cam this time around, thankfully, but then you have the football droid, the crossguard lightsaber, the Revan-like masked enemy, the overly small X-wing helmets, the new Stormtrooper helmets that look like they have duck bills. I think it boils down to this: the trailers for the PT, for all the flaws the movies had, made me think "this is Star Wars" while this makes me think "this is something trying to be Star Wars".

Berserk Mecha
2015-04-17, 01:15 AM
This Christmas? Shouldn't that be this Life Day?

Hyena
2015-04-17, 04:05 AM
One question that's bugging me - which member of the protagonist trio will be a jedi? Or will it be all of them?
Also, what is this thing (http://i.imgur.com/5qXD0gT.webm) in Rey's hands? Because to me it looks like a double-bladed lightsaber.
Also, apparently (http://imgur.com/a/YLeIZ) the Empire is called "The First Order" and Rebellion is the "Resistance" now. I... Don't know how I feel about that.

Kato
2015-04-17, 04:32 AM
This Christmas? Shouldn't that be this Life Day?

!!! You dare reference that?! Shame on you, shame on you!

Yeah, trailer gets me pumped. Also, this might be just random guessing but... is the main character - shock - female?! I mean, it's very vague but if I was to make assumptions, it seems the girl (likely Luke's daughter/niece) is the main character, the "storm trooper" is sidekick/comic relief/love interest (possibly multiples). Not to start any wars but... I think if this was true it would be really cool.

Pronounceable
2015-04-17, 04:47 AM
Definitely a step up from previous one. Not a reason to lie down on hypetrain tracks though, that only leads to sorrow. It's definitely gonna be better than prequels and probably gonna be objectively good but it's still too far away to get excited over.

JCarter426
2015-04-17, 04:53 AM
Captain Solo on Hoth. General Solo after thawing out.

Also, what is this thing (http://i.imgur.com/5qXD0gT.webm) in Rey's hands? Because to me it looks like a double-bladed lightsaber.
Looks just a bit too big to be one, but I kind of hope it is.

Also, this might be just random guessing but... is the main character - shock - female?!
Also a welcome development in my book. I haven't heard anything either way, though.

Quild
2015-04-17, 04:53 AM

I don't know if JJ Abrams have seen the dearjjabrams (www.dearjjabrams.com) animation, but the teaser made me thought he was doing things quite right. And the trailer doesn't disappoint me at all.

Now that... This is cherry on the cake. That guy could have had an easier life using CGI and did not. I'm not anti-CGI and couldn't tell that BB8 was not CGI from the trailer so it shouldn't change anything, but it does.

I have a good feeling about this.

Thrawn4
2015-04-17, 05:04 AM

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Wow. My thoughts exactly.

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-17, 05:28 AM
Also, this might be just random guessing but... is the main character - shock - female?! I mean, it's very vague but if I was to make assumptions, it seems the girl (likely Luke's daughter/niece) is the main character

I certainly hope that Rey is the main character. If that's the case, then I'm looking forward to the film even more. (And I also get the sense that she's Luke's daughter -- she could be the scion of Han & Leia, but my gut feeling is that she's Skywalker, not Solo.)

It's definitely gonna be better than prequels and probably gonna be objectively good but it's still too far away to get excited over.

But not getting excited at all about stuff is a pretty sure way to ensure that life is kind of dull, isn't it? :smallwink:

Looks too long for that to me. My guess is either some kind of elongated blaster, or just a funny-looking staff.

I have a good feeling about this.

Amen! :smallbiggrin:

danzibr
2015-04-17, 05:54 AM
To comment on what others have said:

Yeah, who's Luke talking to? I get the feeling it's not his niece/nephew, because he talks about his father, himself, and his sister having it. If he were talking to his niece/nephew, he probably would've said "your mother." Well, maybe.

Killer Angel
2015-04-17, 06:06 AM
I promised myself to keep my expectations low.
But after this, is very, very, very difficult... :smallbiggrin:

Drascin
2015-04-17, 06:29 AM

Yeah. By now Chewbacca would be equivalent to a dude in like early thirties tops, so still going plenty strong.

Noldo
2015-04-17, 06:40 AM
Also, apparently (http://imgur.com/a/YLeIZ) the Empire is called "The First Order" and Rebellion is the "Resistance" now. I... Don't know how I feel about that.

I think the new naming makes sense in-universe. Empire and Rebellion are names given to the parties by Empire. Once Rebellion turns into the New Republic, it would make sense from their perspective to talk about “Resistance” (a term referring to activists trying to fight back intruders) instead of “Rebellion” (a term referring to activist trying to overthrow the government).

First Order is a bit more complicated, but it could be seen as a way to emphasize the discontinuation from Empire (the First Order?) to the New Republic (Second Order?), but also downplay the Empire (First Order gives impression that it has been replaced by Second Order.

DigoDragon
2015-04-17, 06:47 AM
Huh, I am honestly interested and hopeful it'll be good.

Devonix
2015-04-17, 08:54 AM
I certainly hope that Rey is the main character. If that's the case, then I'm looking forward to the film even more. (And I also get the sense that she's Luke's daughter -- she could be the scion of Han & Leia, but my gut feeling is that she's Skywalker, not Solo.)

But not getting excited at all about stuff is a pretty sure way to ensure that life is kind of dull, isn't it? :smallwink:

Looks too long for that to me. My guess is either some kind of elongated blaster, or just a funny-looking staff.

Amen! :smallbiggrin:

Could have stopped by a Stargate and picked up a Jaffa Staff weapon ;)

Pronounceable
2015-04-17, 09:09 AM
You know that stupid ball robot thing? It's extremely dumb and one of the things that bothered me when the first teaser appeared. It's still the exact same stupid ball robot thing and absolutely dumb, yet I've learned that it's an actual prop they built which can actually roll around like that and not just more fake CG bullcrap, and somehow it became cool and awesome.

I don't get how perception works...

BWR
2015-04-17, 09:12 AM
You know that stupid ball robot thing? It's extremely dumb and one of the things that bothered me when the first teaser appeared. It's still the exact same stupid ball robot thing and absolutely dumb, yet I've learned that it's an actual prop they built which can actually roll around like that and not just more fake CG bullcrap, and somehow it became cool and awesome.

Doesn't work that way for me. It looks effing stupid CG or prop.

Moak
2015-04-17, 10:11 AM
Could have stopped by a Stargate and picked up a Jaffa Staff weapon ;)

My thoughts, exactly ;)

Giggling Ghast
2015-04-17, 11:10 AM

It becomes considerably more impressive as a practical effect because it's a practical effect we've never seen before.

Yeah, it's just a soccer ball with a garbage can lid, but we're all a bit mystified as to how that soccer ball can roll around with the garbage can lid staying on.

jere7my
2015-04-17, 11:26 AM
!!! You dare reference that?! Shame on you, shame on you!

Yeah, trailer gets me pumped. Also, this might be just random guessing but... is the main character - shock - female?! I mean, it's very vague but if I was to make assumptions, it seems the girl (likely Luke's daughter/niece) is the main character, the "storm trooper" is sidekick/comic relief/love interest (possibly multiples). Not to start any wars but... I think if this was true it would be really cool.

Yep. The lead trio are a white woman, a black dude, and a hispanic dude. 100% cool.

Cristo Meyers
2015-04-17, 12:03 PM
Yep. The lead trio are a white woman, a black dude, and a hispanic dude. 100% cool.

Last I heard (and this is totally in the realm of rumour, mind) the main character for Rogue One was also going to be a woman.

I'd get the actress that played Starbuck, honestly, but that's just my moronic sense of humour.

Lost Demiurge
2015-04-17, 12:12 PM
Yeah. This trailer, man... That star destroyer visual was when I realized "Hm, there might just be a chance..."

So, Disney.

Look me in the eyes, Disney.

Do. Not. Screw. This. Up.

runeghost
2015-04-17, 12:31 PM

Same here. I saw it in the original teaser and went "Ugh, CG. Jar-Jar 2.0 is a droid." And then yesterday I saw it rolling around on stage and it was instantly "oh, wow, thats amazing and adorable at the same time".

lt_murgen
2015-04-17, 01:35 PM
Here is the scene as it played out in my head.

A lone X-wing is being chased by a star destroyer over Tatooine. The pilot is amazing, shooting down a half dozen TIEs before diving into the atmosphere of the planet. The Star Destroyer pursues and the X-wing is shot down.

As it crashes, you see an ejection of the pilot and its astromech, coming to rest as the X-wing crumples into the ground beyond him.

The pilot looks up at the approaching Star Destroyer and calmly removes an object from his belt. A lightsaber.

Cut to a younger Luke Skywalker's face as he extends his hand and closes his eyes. A quiet voice over of yoda is head saying "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"

Cut to the star destroyer plummeting into the sands of the desert.

Fade to black, and the words "twenty years later"

Avilan the Grey
2015-04-17, 01:54 PM
My feelings, exactly:

http://media.cagle.com/99/2014/11/28/156833_600.jpg

Edit:
Also, if there ever was a movie that should have the title "A New Hope" it's this one...

Dark Tira
2015-04-17, 02:24 PM

It's actually quite simple. When it was CG it was stupid because no one would build a robot like that. Then it turns out that they built a robot like that and proved us wrong.

McNum
2015-04-17, 02:30 PM
It's actually quite simple. When it was CG it was stupid because no one would build a robot like that. Then it turns out that they built a robot like that and proved us wrong.
And because it was one of those obviously impossible things that you'd need to do in CGI, because clearly such a droid just couldn't be built.

And then they did. And all the child-like wondering about the unknown comes rushing back as the big question "How did they DO that?!" hangs unanswered in the air. Star Wars is mysterious again... because they made something real. Funny how that works.

BRC
2015-04-17, 02:52 PM
One question that's bugging me - which member of the protagonist trio will be a jedi? Or will it be all of them?
I can see the names working.

The Empire falls when the Emperor dies, the bureaucracy is still there, but I doubt he really had much of a succession plan. So, when he dies, the various admirals and governors split into petty factions and feud among themselves.

The "First Order" is one of those post-imperial factions, one with enough of an industrial base to make itself new equipment (Rather than just using the same patterns from the old Imperial stuff). They can't just go around calling themselves the Empire, because that would get confusing. They probably spend most of their time fighting other stormtroopers who ALSO think of themselves as "The Empire". So they call themselves the First Order.

As for the Rebellion/Resistance. The words have different implications, "Rebellion" implies attempting to overthrow a government, while "Resistance" implies trying to drive out an invader.

I'm not an expert on my star wars lore, but IIRC the Republic fell to the sound of glorious applause. The Emperor took over, and transformed it into the Empire, but technically the Republic never fell. So, those fighting the Empire were Rebels, attempting to overthrow their government.

So, Death Star II blows up, the Rebels win, and go about re-establishing the Republic, while dealing with the above mentioned petty Imperial factions.

Meanwhile, the First Order forms, consolidates power, and then starts expanding outwards into territory controlled by the New Republic. IIRC the Old Republic didn't have a single standing army (although member states did) before the Clone Wars (and we know how that ended), so the New Republic also probably had no unified standing army, making it easy pickings for the First Order.

The difference is that, while the Empire took over the existing government (The Republic), the New Order is invading and conquering from the outside, so those trying to fight it call themselves The Resistance, rather than The Rebellion.

They may also just call themselves "The Resistance" to differentiate themselves from the Rebel Alliance, again so they can avoid confusion. "Yeah, my Brother died fighting for the Rebellion" "How? You weren't even born then" "Not Rebellion Classic, Rebellion 2: Jedi Boogaloo."

russdm
2015-04-17, 05:56 PM
putting in spoilers due to length

The Empire falls when the Emperor dies, the bureaucracy is still there, but I doubt he really had much of a succession plan. So, when he dies, the various admirals and governors split into petty factions and feud among themselves.

The "First Order" is one of those post-imperial factions, one with enough of an industrial base to make itself new equipment (Rather than just using the same patterns from the old Imperial stuff). They can't just go around calling themselves the Empire, because that would get confusing. They probably spend most of their time fighting other stormtroopers who ALSO think of themselves as "The Empire". So they call themselves the First Order.

As for the Rebellion/Resistance. The words have different implications, "Rebellion" implies attempting to overthrow a government, while "Resistance" implies trying to drive out an invader.

I'm not an expert on my star wars lore, but IIRC the Republic fell to the sound of glorious applause. The Emperor took over, and transformed it into the Empire, but technically the Republic never fell. So, those fighting the Empire were Rebels, attempting to overthrow their government.

So, Death Star II blows up, the Rebels win, and go about re-establishing the Republic, while dealing with the above mentioned petty Imperial factions.

Meanwhile, the First Order forms, consolidates power, and then starts expanding outwards into territory controlled by the New Republic. IIRC the Old Republic didn't have a single standing army (although member states did) before the Clone Wars (and we know how that ended), so the New Republic also probably had no unified standing army, making it easy pickings for the First Order.

The difference is that, while the Empire took over the existing government (The Republic), the New Order is invading and conquering from the outside, so those trying to fight it call themselves The Resistance, rather than The Rebellion.

They may also just call themselves "The Resistance" to differentiate themselves from the Rebel Alliance, again so they can avoid confusion. "Yeah, my Brother died fighting for the Rebellion" "How? You weren't even born then" "Not Rebellion Classic, Rebellion 2: Jedi Boogaloo."

Given that the whole point of restoring the Republic was to the Alliance, supposedly, I have a hard time seeing it. The Rebellion does have military forces and that would become part of what would make up the New Republic military. Plus you have the fact that the Empire really hasn't fragmented yet. Maybe some of the books leading up to this movie will explain that more.

Given how the Emperor set up the Empire with Governors controlling chunks of space, I think it would be easy for someone high up that was still alive to take over and be in charge. The Empire is simply too massive to simply fall apart without the Emperor, that only happens when the government itself collapses and the Emperor is not the Empire.

If anything, the leaders in the Empire are busy fighting over control and separating into factions. After all, that's what would most likely happen more than the Empire falling apart because the Emperor died. For that to happen, every single high-ranking Imperial would have to been on the Death Star 2 and there is no sign of that in the movies or new material so far.

Destroying the Emperor weakened the Empire, no doubt, but it couldn't have outright broken it. If you consider that type of people the Emperor promoted, like Tarkin, those individuals would be working to secure their holdings and expand them at the expense of others. Plus, we need to account for those like the Inquisitor from Rebels and what happened to them.

The new canon materials may explain more what has happened and give us a better picture.

BRC
2015-04-17, 06:50 PM
If anything, the leaders in the Empire are busy fighting over control and separating into factions. After all, that's what would most likely happen more than the Empire falling apart because the Emperor died. For that to happen, every single high-ranking Imperial would have to been on the Death Star 2 and there is no sign of that in the movies or new material so far.

Destroying the Emperor weakened the Empire, no doubt, but it couldn't have outright broken it. If you consider that type of people the Emperor promoted, like Tarkin, those individuals would be working to secure their holdings and expand them at the expense of others. Plus, we need to account for those like the Inquisitor from Rebels and what happened to them.

The new canon materials may explain more what has happened and give us a better picture.
That's exactly what I was talking about when I said the Empire fell apart. The various governors and commanders splitting the Empire into different factions and fighting with each other for control.

russdm
2015-04-17, 06:58 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about when I said the Empire fell apart. The various governors and commanders splitting the Empire into different factions and fighting with each other for control.

I was confused and had presumed you were saying that the Empire fell apart because the Emperor died, rather than about the commanders fighting each other. Sorry.

Kyberwulf
2015-04-17, 07:02 PM
Wookies live for hundreds of years... Just saying.

Legato Endless
2015-04-17, 07:08 PM
I was confused and had presumed you were saying that the Empire fell apart because the Emperor died, rather than about the commanders fighting each other. Sorry.

Those aren't exclusive though. The most likely reason the commanders fought each other is because with the Emperor dead, there wasn't a clearly delineated successor.

hamishspence
2015-04-17, 07:13 PM
Or just that they didn't fear his designated successor the way they feared him.

The EU's take on it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sate_Pestage
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Ruling_Council

Foeofthelance
2015-04-17, 07:27 PM

Another aspect that I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that they actually took the time to build it. A lot of the criticism aimed at the prequels was their reliance on CGI, which made something like Jar-Jar practical. Build the new droid shows they are at least attempting to use puppetry where they can, which follows in the trail of the original trilogy. That's on top of the technological wonder of how they actually put it together. So you have a cool toy that's practical rather than purely shiny, one which likely won't have any speaking parts outside (hopefully) of the familiar beeps and whistles.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-17, 08:49 PM

Looks like a Tusken weapon to me. Her outfit strikes me as fairly Tusken as well.

Obviously the First Order is the self-appointed successor group to the Empire, hence the tweaked look.

Mando Knight
2015-04-17, 09:24 PM
Or just that they didn't fear his designated successor the way they feared him.

Well, it doesn't help that the Emperor's most logical successor threw him down a shaft and then got cremated in a Rebel victory party... It's like if the President of the US got stabbed in the back by the VP, who then bled out from the brief struggle: how many people know off-hand who the President pro-tempore of the Senate even is?

Rakaydos
2015-04-17, 09:32 PM
Well, it doesn't help that the Emperor's most logical successor threw him down a shaft and then got cremated in a Rebel victory party... It's like if the President of the US got stabbed in the back by the VP, who then bled out from the brief struggle: how many people know off-hand who the President pro-tempore of the Senate even is?

it doesnt help that the emperor dissolved HIS senate...

Lethologica
2015-04-18, 12:45 AM
The ball only moves when the head leans in a direction, as expected. It really could be as simple as a "log rolling" robot on top of a ball.
Not exactly. The head can move off center without moving the ball, for example. It's more likely that most/all of the 'moving' parts are in the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzjUf3E_0c

Avilan the Grey
2015-04-18, 01:17 AM

I am not sure why this would be an issue for you. Did you really expect the ending of the original trilogy to have ZERO IMPACT?

BRC
2015-04-18, 02:07 AM

Cause and Effect.

The Emperor died, leaving a lot of ruthless, ambitious people in positions of power but no clear successor.

The ruthless, ambitious people split off into factions and began fighting one another.

The Empire falls apart, it no longer exists as a single political entity, instead it's a collection of imperial successor groups (Like, supposedly, the First Order) and planets seeking independence/joining the New Republic.

Aotrs Commander
2015-04-18, 02:55 AM
Eeeeh.

Still extremely dubious. (And miffed at unThrawning/un TIE-Fightering.)

On the one hand, there does appear to be a modest amount of starfighter combat at least (at least as much appeared to be shown as lightsabre combat), so that's a first plus to its favour.

Downside... TIE Fighters? Really? Still? The katrillion better designs - starting with just the canon TIE Interceptor, hell even Vader's TIE Advanced x1 - and they make a redesign of the base TIE Fighter? (I'm sorry, but the stock TIE is pretty ugly...) I mean, yeah, I imagine there's probably still a kazillion left after the fall, but... That almost looked like a new version of the TIE, not just an old one. I mean, I suppose it might be they've Done A Thrawn and whoever's taken over has ordered that all those optional upgrades you actually have space to stick on a TIE are started to put into place. But it just feels, sort of...meh. Like they felt "we're trying to be Star Wars so hard, we have to have X-Wings and TIE Fighters, just like the first movie, nevermind that even discounting the entire EU, we canonically have at least eight fighters to draw from..." We'll see, I guess.

hamishspence
2015-04-18, 03:00 AM
It's interesting to see all the wrecked Imperial warships, as well - an ISD, and an Executor-class - in the desert.

(I'm guessing that it turned over and crashed belly-up).

The Glyphstone
2015-04-18, 03:13 AM
It's interesting to see all the wrecked Imperial warships, as well - an ISD, and an Executor-class - in the desert.

(I'm guessing that it turned over and crashed belly-up).

I'm wondering how they got there. I guess there was a big space battle over Tatooine in NuEU timeline.

hamishspence
2015-04-18, 03:27 AM
That's not Tatooine. It was announced at Celebration (going by what I've been reading) that it's a new planet called Jakku.

The Glyphstone
2015-04-18, 03:28 AM
That's not Tatooine. It was announced at Celebration (going by what I've been reading) that it's a new planet called Jakku.

Wait, what? There is more than one sandy planet in Star Wars now? THIS CANNOT BE!!!!!!!!

hamishspence
2015-04-18, 03:32 AM
I was a little worried initially that they might canonize the Endor Holocaust and have that as the Desert Moon of Endor. Would be a little hard to justify the Executor's hull surviving both its collision with the DS2 and the DS2's explosion - but SW comics have done it before:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Day_in_the_Life

tomandtish
2015-04-18, 09:40 AM

I hope it works for you. I really do.

But we had some awesome (at the time) teasers/trailers for The Phantom Menace. Especially the teasers. And I still haven't forgiven that film for breaking my heart. It's only in hindsight that we can see what was wrong with them.

I loved the original trilogy. Heck, I saw the original Star Wars over 100 times in the theater when it originally came out, and I was 8 (cheapest baby-sitter my parents ever found). Needless to say, I was very excited in 1999. And then I saw TPM...

How do I sum this up? Have any of you had that high school friend who was one of your best friends? You did everything together. Then college came, and real life, and you parted ways. Then, after about 10 years, you found each other and decided to get together. You're all excited to see your friend again, remembering the great times. You get together.... and after about 30 minutes you can't wait for the evening to be over because you have nothing in common anymore. Not only is it all stilted awkwardness, but you can tell it isn't going to get better because you are both just too different now.

That's what the prequel trilogy became for me. So I stick with my happy memories of the originals.

Will I see this movie? Maybe, if people I trust have seen it and say it is decent. But at this point it's no different than any other movie.

Very true. But I chose what I expend my excitement on. Age of Ultron? yes. This? Well, fool me once, etc.

Because it shows attention to detail, something that's always important.

I'm still not sure of the practicality of the head not being actually connected. How much pressure does it take to remove it? But I will give them credit for not just defaulting to CGI, which was a huge weakness of the prequels.

Downside... TIE Fighters? Really? Still? The katrillion better designs - starting with just the canon TIE Interceptor, hell even Vader's TIE Advanced x1 - and they make a redesign of the base TIE Fighter? (I'm sorry, but the stock TIE is pretty ugly...) I mean, yeah, I imagine there's probably still a kazillion left after the fall, but... That almost looked like a new version of the TIE, not just an old one. I mean, I suppose it might be they've Done A Thrawn and whoever's taken over has ordered that all those optional upgrades you actually have space to stick on a TIE are started to put into place. But it just feels, sort of...meh. Like they felt "we're trying to be Star Wars so hard, we have to have X-Wings and TIE Fighters, just like the first movie, nevermind that even discounting the entire EU, we canonically have at least eight fighters to draw from..." We'll see, I guess.

I'm not upset about that enough to say it's a major bug yet. (yes, I get the irony of analyzing a movie that I have general doubts about seeing). Assuming the high likelihood that the Empire has fragmented, it's quite possible that whichever faction this is may only have capacity for a basic design. They can modify the design, but lack resources to do something completely new.

Because he's not just the President of the Hairclub for Wookies. He's also a client. :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2015-04-18, 11:50 AM
I was a little worried initially that they might canonize the Endor Holocaust and have that as the Desert Moon of Endor. Would be a little hard to justify the Executor's hull surviving both its collision with the DS2 and the DS2's explosion - but SW comics have done it before:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Day_in_the_Life

Whatever gave you that idea? They have already, as WOG stated that it is an entirely new planet. One that is not 100% one climate either, this just happens to be the desert belt (just like we have on earth).

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-18, 12:08 PM

There's a rumor among certain Star Wars fans that it's Tatooine, and "Jakku" = "j/k" = "joke." I have no inside information, I can only report the rumor.

Porthos
2015-04-18, 12:22 PM
There's a rumor among certain Star Wars fans that it's Tatooine, and "Jakku" = "j/k" = "joke." I have no inside information, I can only report the rumor.

If it's a joke, someone forgot to tell the Battlefront team (http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-battlefront-battle-of-jakku/). :smallwink:

As for the rumor, I'll respond with a line from another SF franchise: "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." :smallamused:

Giggling Ghast
2015-04-18, 12:23 PM
A habitable planet with multiple biomes? What kind of insanity is this? ;)

Legato Endless
2015-04-18, 12:51 PM

This was bound to happen though. Banking on nostalgia as they are, there's no way they'd make any big changes in the iconic designs for the first film under a new director. You need all these appearances on continuity to legitimize the changing of the guard. While I'm also a big fan of the alternatives over the classic, we really can't expect much in the way of innovation until the next film at least.

This would never have happened under the Emperor's administration. He kept all known worlds under a simple orderly elemental classification.

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-18, 01:58 PM
If it's a joke, someone forgot to tell the Battlefront team (http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-battlefront-battle-of-jakku/). :smallwink:

As for the rumor, I'll respond with a line from another SF franchise: "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." :smallamused:

Heh -- I figured that rumor might be loopy, but since I had no contrary information at the time, I reported it anyway.

I probably should have asked my dad -- he's the nearest true Star Wars geek that I know, and has probably read literally every word of the EU stuff, etc. I basically have never ventured beyond the movies.

A sure sign of the end times, eh? :smallwink: Where the heck did Lucas come up with that "one terrain planet-wide" stuff anyway?

Well, I guess it's a cheap way to make the place seem exotic, without having to actually make any sets resembling alien forest, grassland, etc. I think I answered my own question.

This was bound to happen though. Banking on nostalgia as they are, there's no way they'd make any big changes in the iconic designs for the first film under a new director. You need all these appearances on continuity to legitimize the changing of the guard. While I'm also a big fan of the alternatives over the classic, we really can't expect much in the way of innovation until the next film at least.

It''s not really that odd that the same Tie fighters are being used anyway, IMO. A lot of poorer countries continued to use WW2 tanks for a couple decades after the end of the war. Since the Empire is down for the count, R&D is presumably either slow, or currently impossible/postponed while they use existing, still serviceable equipment.

This would never have happened under the Emperor's administration. He kept all known worlds under a simple orderly elemental classification.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:

danzibr
2015-04-18, 02:10 PM
Any idea on who Luke was talking to? His son/daughter/niece/nephew?

Also, any idea on Leia being a badass Jedi?

The Glyphstone
2015-04-18, 02:26 PM

It''s not really that odd that the same Tie fighters are being used anyway, IMO. A lot of poorer countries continued to use WW2 tanks for a couple decades after the end of the war. Since the Empire is down for the count, R&D is presumably either slow, or currently impossible/postponed while they use existing, still serviceable equipment.

:

And you could actually make a solid case for an in-universe reason to want to use TIE Fighters as well - if this 'First Order' is trying to, or has, established itself as the leading successor to the old Galactic Empire, then using the same hardware or strongly similar designs could be a means of bolstering their 'legitimacy' - if they look reasonably similar, most people's gut instincts will be to treat them similarly.

It's weirdly meta, in a way.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-04-18, 03:46 PM
I'm starting to hear the call, but it's still faint: All aboard the Hype Train!

I've been in love with BB-8 since I learnt the little thing actually exists. :smallbiggrin: Turns out xkcd explained how it might work. About seven years ago. (http://xkcd.com/413/)

Sith_Happens
2015-04-18, 07:45 PM
Wait, what? There is more than one sandy planet in Star Wars now? THIS CANNOT BE!!!!!!!!

Korriban is pretty sandy, I don't think it's been added to the new timeline yet though.

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-18, 07:48 PM

The USA is still using weapons from before WWII. The M2 is ubitquitous and was designed in 1918 and adopted in '33, with no plans to discontinue use. There are even older guns around that are still credible weapons too. To say nothing of previous century's muskets.

As for ships? Well the Enterprise was in service for 50 years, and the Blue Ridge command ship is expected to well exceed that. Most people I don't think realize the Constituition isn't simply old but is one of the first six ships of the USN period and fired her guns in anger as late as the 1850s. And for airplanes I don't know if any particular one has been around all that long but look no further then the B-52 which isn't going anywhere soon.

We like to think of tech always advancing and so forth... but reality is sometimes you just can improve things. Or you might but only by inventing something completely new and unrelated that is strictly speaking not predictable.

Honestly given that just about everyone but Lucas seems to imagine SW as having been around a long time having any big change in hardware is almost more surprising.

Mando Knight
2015-04-18, 09:40 PM
Korriban is pretty sandy, I don't think it's been added to the new timeline yet though.

They're calling it "Moraband" these days, but yes. Yoda goes there in The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions.

BannedInSchool
2015-04-18, 10:22 PM
And for airplanes I don't know if any particular one has been around all that long but look no further then the B-52 which isn't going anywhere soon.
I believe the actual airframes may be older than the pilots these days, and have been for a while. :smallsmile: Wikipedia says the last one was built in 1962 and the AF plans to keep using them till 2045.

tomandtish
2015-04-18, 10:58 PM
The F-14 Tomcat design was in US Navy service for 32 years.

The F/A 18 Hornet design has been in service (in various forms) for 35 years.

The Navy's E2 design entered service in 1964, and (with variations) has been in service ever since.

Air Force F15 Eagle entered production in 1972. Final production of the line is scheduled to end in 2019.

F-16 Fighting Falcon started production in 1974, and versions are still in production (although no longer purchased by US military).

In short, 30 years is not at all unreasonable in the real world for a particular base design to stay active even with a country with the resources to keep pushing the envelope. It's therefore not unreasonable to assume Tie Fighters and X-Wings are still the main models when we don't know that things have advanced substantially, especially for the Empire.

hamishspence
2015-04-18, 11:01 PM
Whatever gave you that idea? They have already, as WOG stated that it is an entirely new planet.

Hence "initially" - before I heard the name "Jakku".

Gamerlord
2015-04-21, 05:42 AM
Not sure it is big enough to justify its own thread, so might as well mention that Rogue One (Next year's "Anthology"/spin-off film) got a teaser as well as a brief description. (http://bgr.com/2015/04/20/star-wars-rogue-one-trailer-leak/)

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-21, 05:52 AM
Not sure it is big enough to justify its own thread, so might as well mention that Rogue One (Next year's "Anthology"/spin-off film) got a teaser as well as a brief description. (http://bgr.com/2015/04/20/star-wars-rogue-one-trailer-leak/)

Interesting, thank you for sharing that! :smallcool:

danzibr
2015-04-21, 06:14 AM
Oooh, das nice.

Anyway, who do people think Luke was talking to?

pendell
2015-04-21, 07:21 AM
The F-14 Tomcat design was in US Navy service for 32 years.

The F/A 18 Hornet design has been in service (in various forms) for 35 years.

The Navy's E2 design entered service in 1964, and (with variations) has been in service ever since.

Air Force F15 Eagle entered production in 1972. Final production of the line is scheduled to end in 2019.

F-16 Fighting Falcon started production in 1974, and versions are still in production (although no longer purchased by US military).

In short, 30 years is not at all unreasonable in the real world for a particular base design to stay active even with a country with the resources to keep pushing the envelope. It's therefore not unreasonable to assume Tie Fighters and X-Wings are still the main models when we don't know that things have advanced substantially, especially for the Empire.

It's not just a matter of pushing the envelope, it's also a matter of technical maturity as well.

Back in the 1940s, aviation was a brand new field, and a lot of people were investing a lot of money into getting it right. The Wright Brothers flew in 1903. 12 years would pass before people developed synchronized forward-firing machine guns. Twenty more years saw the discarding of fabric biplanes for metal monoplanes, advances in range that allowed aircraft to fly across the Atlantic ocean. Twenty more years saw the development of jet aircraft and supersonic aircraft.

Development since then has stalled to a certain extent. The aircraft of 1960 aren't much less effective than the aircraft of 2014 -- to a great extent aircraft like the Mig-21 ARE the aircraft of 2014. Because the technology has matured. Getting past that point , with things like the F-22 and the F-35, costs a great deal of money for very minimal return. A civilian has a hard time seeing why we need to shell out $1.5 trillion (http://breakingdefense.com/2012/03/f-35-total-costs-soar-to-1-5-trillion-lockheed-defends-program/) in development costs for the latest and greatest aircraft.

I think it's because the technology has reached a plateau; the fighter aircraft of the 21st century aren't going to be that much more capable than the fighters of the mid-20th, and it wouldn't surprise me if the 22nd century was little different. Because however much technology you can put into it, the human body still can't take over 8 gs, and the atmosphere imposes hard limitations on how fast or high you can go before burning up or running out of air.

Mature technologies don't advance all that much. At least, not with the speed and revolutionary changes of an immature one.

So I would expect the next revolutionary advances to be in unmanned aircraft and in drones, while improvements in manned vehicles are incremental and very, very expensive in terms of R&D.

The Star Wars universe is a technically mature one; the hyperdrive evidently reached this plateau thousands of years before the battle of Yavin, and no one has seen fit to go for any kind of revolutionary change, not when you can cross the entire galaxy in matter of weeks with existing technology. Same with blasters and with droids; just as in our universe, modern rifles and pistols aren't a terrific improvement over the AK-47 introduced in 1949, more than fifty years ago.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

BWR
2015-04-21, 09:31 AM
I preferred the idea that the SW galaxy was technologically stagnant for most of recorded history. There might be some very minor, inconsequential advances but in the grand scheme of things a brand new snub fighter from 20 000 years ago could put up a moderate threat to one from today, even if they weren't equal in power. Things like the Death Star are more along the lines of political and tactical/strategic challenges rather than technical - you can build it, but why would you want to destroy entire planets? Companies keep pumping out ships and droids in staggering varieties because things do wear down and your business makes more money if you discontinue old lines and produce new ones. Of course this was never actually shown in the EU, with far too many examples of 'brand new tech' everywhere.

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-21, 02:25 PM
Oooh, das nice.

My personal guess, 99% based on totally groundless gut feeling/hunch? His daughter, Rey Skywalker.

Psyren
2015-04-21, 05:31 PM
UUUUGGGGGHHHH I CAME to this thread to express my satisfaction with this trailer.

Heh.

Any idea on who Luke was talking to? His son/daughter/niece/nephew?

My guess is Mara Jade, even with the EU getting thrown out she is one of the more famous names to come out of it that the non-EU base might have heard of.

Oh, and that bad dude was highly reminiscent of Revan.

Revan is confirmed to be non-canon so chances that he will make it to the films are pretty slim.

Cristo Meyers
2015-04-21, 08:13 PM

Am I actually the only one that's a little put off by the description? Just... getting the plans of the original Death Star doesn't do anything for me.

Maybe it's just that the Rogue Squadron books are one of the two bits of the EU I actually like, but I would've rather had a re-imagining of that.

Noldo
2015-04-22, 01:16 AM

My guess is Mara Jade, even with the EU getting thrown out she is one of the more famous names to come out of it that the non-EU base might have heard of.

WILD THEORY, WILD THEORY, WILD THEORY...

Mara Jade could throw interesting twist on Luke’s lines. I think the audience is lead to believe that Luke’s litany continues “…you have it”, but what if he is talking about a third person (“…she has it”), in reference to, Luke’s and Mara’s daughter?

Alent
2015-04-22, 02:10 AM

Felt like he was repeating one of his quotes for the audience, with a zinger at the end to get the audience's attention.

I'm looking forward to to this for a variety of reasons, although I have no preferences on where they go with the story. I like what little I've seen of the cast, and I haven't gone around watching anything save the trailers themselves yet. I like to try to save movies for a surprise, and I find watching too many interviews before the film makes it harder to see the characters through the cast.

danzibr
2015-04-22, 06:22 AM

Revan is confirmed to be non-canon so chances that he will make it to the films are pretty slim.
Plus, Revan lived how many thousand years ago? Just noting the similarity.

As for who Luke was talking to, I kind of don't think it's Mara Jade, because it sounds like he's talking to someone who doesn't know he/she is force sensitive. Or their daughter, since it seems he'd throw in, ``your mother has it.''

Legato Endless
2015-04-22, 11:46 AM
Oooh, das nice.

Leia's child.

It's not Mara Jade. That would render the prelude nonsensical. Luke's talking about family. If this wasn't a scion of his house, that introduction is just a disconnected homage. The quote ends with his sister. As you noted, you'd expect Luke to mention the mother unless he married a mundane. Mara Jade might well appear, but it isn't about her.

Am I actually the only one that's a little put off by the description? Just... getting the plans of the original Death Star doesn't do anything for me.

Maybe it's just that the Rogue Squadron books are one of the two bits of the EU I actually like, but I would've rather had a re-imagining of that.

I'm slightly dubious about the anthology aspect. Pretty much every anthology film I've seen has been a pretty imbalanced affair. Even otherwise gifted writers like Gaiman and cinematic masterpieces like Fantasia tend to have a story or two that it's clear was added to complete the set, rather than worthwhile in it's own right. It's not one of the first dozen formats I'd think of for a major franchise film...but maybe they've got a killer short story idea they feel needs cinematic play. And yes, I'd prefer something further afield than a prologue to Episode IV.

BannedInSchool
2015-04-22, 12:00 PM
It just seems odd to me for Luke to be talking to someone in his family about his family using his relation to people and not the person to whom he's speaking's relation, e.g. if I were talking to my children about my sister I'd say "your aunt", not "my sister" unless...that's how I'm breaking it to them that I'm their father. :smallbiggrin:

Legato Endless
2015-04-22, 12:40 PM
I could see it being Luke's child, but the framing makes me think the listener being anything other than Vader's grandchild seems fairly unlikely. The speech just screams family legacy.

Psyren
2015-04-22, 12:49 PM
Yeah, its definitely a Skywalker scion being talked at/to.

BannedInSchool
2015-04-22, 01:12 PM
I hope they don't retcon out Anakin being a Force Baby. Everyone loves that part. :smalltongue:

jere7my
2015-04-22, 01:52 PM
Leia's child.

It's not Mara Jade. That would render the prelude nonsensical. Luke's talking about family. If this wasn't a scion of his house, that introduction is just a disconnected homage. The quote ends with his sister. As you noted, you'd expect Luke to mention the mother unless he married a mundane. Mara Jade might well appear, but it isn't about her.

I'm slightly dubious about the anthology aspect. Pretty much every anthology film I've seen has been a pretty imbalanced affair. Even otherwise gifted writers like Gaiman and cinematic masterpieces like Fantasia tend to have a story or two that it's clear was added to complete the set, rather than worthwhile in it's own right. It's not one of the first dozen formats I'd think of for a major franchise film...but maybe they've got a killer short story idea they feel needs cinematic play. And yes, I'd prefer something further afield than a prologue to Episode IV.

The film itself won't be an anthology of short pieces; all of the stand-alone movies are part of the Anthology series.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-22, 04:07 PM
I hope they don't retcon out Anakin being a Force Baby. Everyone loves that part. :smalltongue:

The funny part is, they did retcon out the "Plagueis did it" explanation for that on account of it being from the EU.

danzibr
2015-04-22, 04:12 PM
The funny part is, they did retcon out the "Plagueis did it" explanation for that on account of it being from the EU.
I seem to recall that being implied in Episode III.

hamishspence
2015-04-22, 04:21 PM
In the Darth Plagueis novel, he doesn't think he's directly responsible. In fact, he thinks it's possible that "The Force Strikes Back" at him for his unnatural experiments - retaliating by creating Anakin, to destroy him.

The Glyphstone
2015-04-25, 09:20 AM
Watching the trailer again, I noticed something odd - the voiceover says "the force is strong in my family. My father has it...." If it were Luke talking to someone, wouldn't he say 'my father had it'?

hamishspence
2015-04-25, 09:25 AM
If Force Ghosts are sufficiently active participants in the setting, it may no longer make sense to speak of them in the past tense.

Gamerlord
2015-04-25, 09:27 AM
Watching the trailer again, I noticed something odd - the voiceover says "the force is strong in my family. My father has it...." If it were Luke talking to someone, wouldn't he say 'my father had it'?
I heard someone claim they just took that line from Return of the Jedi, but I never bothered looking into it so take that with a grain of salt.

The Glyphstone
2015-04-25, 09:28 AM
Yeah, was going to mention that in my post but changed my mind at the last second. And looking online, that is definitely current-day Mark Hamill doing the voiceover, so it must be Luke. So I suppose we'll see a CGI Anakin Skywalker at some point - hopefully not Hayden Christensen with 30 years of digital aging effects.

Mando Knight
2015-04-25, 11:44 AM
I heard someone claim they just took that line from Return of the Jedi, but I never bothered looking into it so take that with a grain of salt.

Yeah, was going to mention that in my post but changed my mind at the last second. And looking online, that is definitely current-day Mark Hamill doing the voiceover, so it must be Luke. So I suppose we'll see a CGI Anakin Skywalker at some point - hopefully not Hayden Christensen with 30 years of digital aging effects.

According to his panel at Star Wars Celebration (https://youtu.be/_voKbAgIzWM?t=9h39m20s), he did go back and re-record the line from Jedi for the trailer, but JJ decided to use both the new recording and the original: the original is what you hear (the "you have that power too" is cut & pasted from earlier in the dialogue, as Luke uses it when he starts to break the news to Leia rather than at the end), and the new recording was added as an echo in the background.

sandra_luna
2015-12-26, 07:45 AM
Was the movie good? I haven't got the chance to watch it.

Rakaydos
2015-12-26, 11:14 AM
Was the movie good? I haven't got the chance to watch it.

For a Star Wars film, it's top 4.