PDA

View Full Version : Is is possible to make a magic item that...

Sutremaine
2007-04-15, 06:51 AM
...casts its spell on the wearer when it detects a particular spell being cast within a predetermined area? If so, when exactly would the spell activate? I was wondering how a ring of Time Stop that activated if it detected a Time Stop spell would work out.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-15, 07:19 AM
If you have spellcraft you might be able to get away with using a contingent spell (from complete arcane) with as trigger "when I detect timestop being cast". It would only work once though, and cost you 15K gp. As for custom items, that is upto the DM ... I might allow it as a custom intelligent item, but it would be expensive.

Also you would never be part of someone else's timestop, you would simply have your own timestop activated before his.

martyboy74
2007-04-15, 09:06 AM
If you have spellcraft you might be able to get away with using a contingent spell (from complete arcane) with as trigger "when I detect timestop being cast". It would only work once though, and cost you 15K gp. As for custom items, that is upto the DM ... I might allow it as a custom intelligent item, but it would be expensive.

Also you would never be part of someone else's timestop, you would simply have your own timestop activated before his.
Technically, it would be after, since Contingency is a reactionary event. You can't have your Contingency activating before you detect the Time Stop, and, by RAW, you can't figure out what spell someone's casting until they're nigh done.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-15, 09:22 AM
Technically, it would be after, since Contingency is a reactionary event. You can't have your Contingency activating before you detect the Time Stop, and, by RAW, you can't figure out what spell someone's casting until they're nigh done.
Nigh is enough, the contingent spell doesn't have a casting time ... it simply comes into effect.