PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A simplified version for 3.5 for new players.

YossarianLives
2015-04-16, 09:26 PM
Hi all.

I'll be running a short campaign over the coming weeks for four players, three of which have very little experience. I'd like to run 3.5 for them as it's the system I'm most familiar and something I think they'd really enjoy. The only problem is that I find new players get totally overwhelmed and distracted when trying to understand the rules of character creation for 3.5 and similar systems. Are there any simplified versions of 3.5 out there?

Ideally I'd rather have my players not have to pick much more than race, class, name, and weapons/spells. I find players get most confused when looking through long lists of skills and feats.

Chronos
2015-04-16, 09:36 PM
Spells are a much longer list than feats are. I'd suggest just making the characters for them (with their input, of course), and choosing spontaneous casters for all of the casters.

Troacctid
2015-04-16, 09:43 PM
Mark Rosewater wrote an excellent article (http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/200) on how to teach Magic: The Gathering to a new player. Give it a read. Everything he says applies equally well to D&D.

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-16, 09:54 PM
5e (what I played of the playtest at least) seemed like a much-simplified version of 3.5. The rules are essentially the same, but skills are aggressively combined, feats are taken out of the picture, and there aren't a whole bunch of fiddly +1s everywhere. 4e is simpler than 3.5 as well, but there's still an overload on choices, and the mechanics are more different than 2e/3e/5e are compared to each other. After a few sessions of 5e and they have the d20 system and combat mechanics down, then going back to 3.5 might be easier.

If you'd like 3.5 simplified, you could go with PF skills and CMB/CMD, combine all the knowledge skills into one, and then offer just a few choices of feats for different concepts (ranged/ twf/ melee/ etc). Essentially give everyone a ranger-like set of choices.

Alternatively, if these players are intelligent but just inexperienced, going through an example chargen with them with a mundane character, then letting them try it themselves and checking their sheet could work, too. Limit them to core. Be sure to point out that the PHB has a step-by-step guide on character creation on page 4, I think, and then the chapters are laid out in that order so that all they need to do to make a character is go through the book in order.

Troacctid
2015-04-16, 10:12 PM
5e (what I played of the playtest at least) seemed like a much-simplified version of 3.5. The rules are essentially the same, but skills are aggressively combined, feats are taken out of the picture, and there aren't a whole bunch of fiddly +1s everywhere. 4e is simpler than 3.5 as well, but there's still an overload on choices, and the mechanics are more different than 2e/3e/5e are compared to each other. After a few sessions of 5e and they have the d20 system and combat mechanics down, then going back to 3.5 might be easier.

This is true, and I think you should actually strongly consider just learning 5th edition. It is an order of magnitude easier to learn than 3.5, and it's easier to DM, too. Furthermore, character creation is super streamlined and easy, and the balance is hugely improved (basically all the trap options are gone). For a group that isn't already invested in 3.5, I think it is easily the superior choice.

In many ways, it is a simplified version of 3.5, actually, which I guess is what you asked for.

mabriss lethe
2015-04-16, 10:16 PM
You might check out Microlite20 (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134:microlite20) It's about as stripped down as a rule set can go with d20.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-04-16, 10:23 PM
If you do go with 3.5 over 5E, I would recommend trying to set aside time and make characters with each player. From there, limit their options. Guy wants to be magical? Warlock is likely the simplest option available with Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, and Warmage all a close second. Rogue would probably still be a solid option for sneaky types, martial combatants should either be fighters or maybe Warblades if you help them select their maneuvers. If they want a healer/divine person, Crusader is pretty simple if you use cards for maneuvers. Cleric could still be an option, but that requires gutting the vast majority of spells and tell them to pick however many they can prepare from this list. Or just use the spontaneous divine variant.

YossarianLives
2015-04-16, 10:37 PM
5e sounds good, the only problem is, I'd rather not spend $100+ on books right now. I hear there's a free version online. Is that enough to run a game with?

Troacctid
2015-04-16, 10:45 PM
5e sounds good, the only problem is, I'd rather not spend $100+ on books right now. I hear there's a free version online. Is that enough to run a game with?

Yes. There's fewer options, but it has all you need, especially if you're playing with beginners who won't mind having fewer options.

With a box
2015-04-16, 10:57 PM

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
here it is.

Endarire
2015-04-16, 11:31 PM
One PHB plus the basic rules are probably the only things you "need" to get the game going well. A MM may also help.