PDA

View Full Version : Subtle Soul

iTreeby
2015-04-16, 10:30 PM
So, since we have a new sorcerer path, I've been thinking about making a favored soul that tries to get the most out of subtle spell. i'm looking for spells that you would want to cast while hidden because you wouldn't necessarily give away your position or for spells that are good out of combat but are normally too overt for the palace throne room.
for example, going Trickery domain for the subtle cast Modify Memory spell could be an excellent way to win bets that you never placed or convincing the guard that you are actually supposed to be getting out of prison today.

What spells do you think would be the most fun or useful to Subtle Cast? Feel free to answer with any domain or even core spells. Bonus points if you actually used subtle spell in a game.

Kane0
2015-04-16, 11:03 PM
Detect Thoughts comes to mind, since casting that while talking to someone can be a little obvious.

In fact one player at my table tried that once, and he failed specifically because he was noticed. Should've been a subtle sorc. To this day stating 'Detect surface thoughts!' is a way of saying one has committed a significant faux pas in our group.

iTreeby
2015-04-17, 02:01 AM
what's the opinion on call lightning? is it still super obvious you cast the spell becaus of the swirling cloud 100 ft above you or can you zap people without giving yourself away?

Easy_Lee
2015-04-17, 08:23 AM
Illusions and enchantments have the most benefit, in my opinion. Making people see and think things could have untold social benefits, particularly since there's no way to tie it back to you in most cases (even if they succeed on the save).

Camman1984
2015-04-17, 11:51 AM
Where is the new sorcerous path to be found?

jkat718
2015-04-17, 04:50 PM
Here ya go:
Unearthed Arcana: Modifying Classes (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes)