PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming Dungeons as ancient sites of magic powers

Yora
2015-04-17, 02:19 AM
I was reading the Numenera RPG, and while it didn't really win me over, I was really quite intrigued by its focus on ancient techno-magical machines. In addition to pieces of scrap with odd properties, single use items, and permanent items, it also mentions a fourth category of Discoveries, which are usually big things that can not be carried around by a single person, have no immediate combat uses, and are often permanently integrated into buildings. Or they even are buildings.
For a game about exploring ancient ruins in search for magic, these actually sound much more interesting than having just some mostly empty basement with a couple of monsters and a few magic items. I've very rarely seen anything like this described either in campaign settings, nor in published adventures. In videogames they are quite common though, as they make fantastically looking environments. I think there's a bunch of them in almost every BioWare game. They don't have to be useful for anything and players don't have to learn how they work or what they were made for. Or perhaps they have one practical use, which only barely touches upon its original purposes.
The possibilities are endless, so let's throw some ideas around for everyone else to salvage and make into something for their own settings and campaigns. I find that this is a good read (http://theangrygm.com/the-angry-guide-to-kicka-combats-part-2-battlefields-and-battlefeels/) to get an idea for making interesting dungeon environments.

Miniature Star
This dungeon is build around a large central chamber in which a ten meter sphere of intense light hovers high above the ground. The light shines through doorways and windows into the surrounding rooms and corridors and burns everything that comes into contact with it. It is not so much heat but rather a kind of radiation, which makes the parts of the dungeon where the light does not reach only slightly warmer than expected for such a place. Touching the light is not immediately deadly, but more than very short durations automatically cause damage. If a character stays in the light long enough to perform any action, he takes damage.
It's not really a problem in the outer part of the dungeons, but in the central areas the PCs have to find ways to get around the patches blasted by the light and could even use them against enemies.

Acid Well
This dungeon has some kind of magical fountain that apparently got corrupted or damaged in some way and now produces a stinking harmful liquid. Unfortunately the dungeon is also very old and the original drains for the water no longer work correctly, which floods the lower rooms in the toxic liquid. In some rooms it's only a few centimeters deep and the players might come up with some kind of protective boots, while in others its almost up to the ceiling, so they can only be crossed by climbing support beams that keep up the roof high below the floor.
Since character death from a single failed roll is never fun, the liquid should not be too deadly and only harm characters in a way that they can get pulled out before they are dead.

Silverscale
2015-04-17, 09:24 AM
I've always liked the idea of a dungeon that's really a giant mechanism of some sort that the PCs have to figure out what it does, why it doesn't do that thing anymore, and how to get it to do the thing again. All of this encourages players to really explore the environment and maybe make connections to things they found earlier that didn't seem to make much sense at the time.

These can be as straight forward or elaborate as you think your players can handle. From "a few gears fell out of place let's put them back and see what happens" to "Only the penitent man shall pass" is a clue that means if you don't kneel as you enter this doorway then your head will be chopped of by the spinning blades of death that come out of the walls.... To "that hole in the wall over there looks a lot like that thing that we passed in tavern on the way here"

It is worth mentioning here that I like puzzles even if I sometimes suck at solving them (or my DM was bad at giving clues....)

I like the idea of having a dungeon built around a small sun. My question would be why was it built in the first place and is there anyway to get it to do something once they reach the center?

the_david
2015-04-18, 08:10 AM
How about Expedition to Barrier Peaks or Iron Gods?

Yora
2015-04-18, 08:28 AM
I don't know. You could describe them here.

ace rooster
2015-04-18, 09:04 AM
The setting for exalted (http://www.vakermit.com/rpg/Exalted/1%20-%20Core/%5Bww80000%5D%20Exalted%202nd%20edition%20%28bookm arked%29.pdf) is probably worth checking out, even if you don't want to use the rules. Check out the section on Manses in particular (p27)

Avaris
2015-04-19, 04:36 PM
The War Room
Excavating an ancient fortress, adventurers discover an immense chamber dominated by a scale map of the region surrounding the structure. Parts of it are heavily damaged, but the sections that survive have miniature clay figures moving across it. Upon investigation, it seems that these correspond to any living being larger than a young child actually in the area, and that new figures are formed magically as beings leave the area. This is a powerful tool, yet cannot be moved from it's remote location, and once word gets out several forces are likely to want to secure or destroy it. Additionally, the runes around the walls seem to suggest that the map can be reconfigured to change the area of focus or scale, if only the correct command spells can be found...

The Dragon Cages
A great hollow has been carved into the ground in roughly the shape of an inverted pyramid. Steel wires criss-cross the hollow, from which buildings and walkways are suspended among perches seemingly designed for dragons. The whole complex is scorched with dragonfire, and descending on the ropes and wires is treacherous. As one nears the bottom, it becomes clear that in addition to draconic armour, there are chains and means of control: the dragons here were slaves. Engravings point to an artefact which allows for the control of Dragons, and suggest that this structure magnified its effects to dominate any dragon that approached the area. It is unclear why it's magic failed the previous occupants, but maybe the device still lingers here...

Everyl
2015-04-19, 08:52 PM
The Axis of the World
Deep in a labyrinthine mine complex, an enormous stone pillar stands in the center of a tall chamber, hundreds of feet from top to bottom. It is clear to any who look upon it that it is a place of great importance , but only a careful observer would notice why - the pillar slowly, but inexorably, spins in place, completing one full rotation every 24 hours. No known force can speed or slow this spin, but creative engineers (like those who dug the mine complex) can certainly take advantage of it. It is effectively a perpetual motion machine, and through a vast system of gear ratios, rotation belts, and the like, it once provided kinetic energy to a civilization the size of a respectable nation. Today, most of the systems have long since fallen into disrepair, though some have been haphazardly maintained by more recent residents who have moved into the ruins. Doors, drawbridges, water pumps, ventilation fans, millstones, escalators, conveyor belts, and more might still exist in operational or repairable condition within the tunnels - not to mention any number of traps left by the builders or jury-rigged by modern squatters.