PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Updating geyser abuse

Kraken
2015-04-17, 05:42 AM
With the existence of sacred geometry in Pathfinder now, I've been wondering what the possible peak DC for a dazing geyser is? The base is a crossblooded ifrit sorcerer (arcane and fire bloodlines). I don't know that a fully thought out build was ever posted, beyond the thought experiment stages initially, so hopefully I didn't do all this from scratch for no reason.

Trait: havoc of the society
Trait: ??? (can't do magical lineage because it would be a second magic trait)
1: Elemental focus: fire
3: Greater elemental focus: fire
5: Sacred geometry (heighten, persist)
7: Spell focus: conjuration (bloodline)
7: Greater spell focus: conjuration
9:
11:
13:
13: (bloodline)
15: Spell perfection (geyser)
17:
19:
19: (bloodline)

Save DC:
15 - base DC
16 - charisma (see below)
8 - spell and elemental focuses combined with spell perfection
2 - heighten
1 - arcane bloodline arcana
2 - arcane bloodline level 15
1 - arcane concordance?
45 - total

Charisma:
17 - base
2 - ifrit
5 - leveling
5 - inherent
2 - dominate a succubus and get its blessing
3 - venerable
6 - enhancement bonus
40 - total
42 - ifrits with the fire elemental bloodline treat their charisma as 2 higher for sorcerer class abilities.

As far as the trick behind geyser, all you need to do is cast it with persist and heighten it 2 levels (effectively a 9th level spell out of a 5th level slot thanks to sacred geometry), then use a dazing rod in conjunction to force all enemies caught in the geyser to make two separate DC 45 will saves. Failure on either means they'll suffer a slow fate of taking 1 force damage and 3d6 fire damage until they die. In order to avoid this they'd need to take no damage from the spell (is anything in PF immune to force damage), or be immune to dazing (ditto?).

The original posts that I saw had the familiar activating a wand of arcane concordance on the first round of combat, but I find that pretty sketchy, a ring of spell knowledge and casting it as a quickened spell on round 1 seems like a better option. There are plenty of unused build resources, so I'm curious to see how this could be made better. I'm also curious how it could be optimized at earlier levels. Obviously level 15 offers a big jump with spell perfection, and the fact that a dazing metamagic rod starts to become a reasonable expenditure at that level, but is there a way to get dazing and persist activate earlier?

avr
2015-04-17, 06:14 AM
If you want it in action earlier you'd logically take a class or bloodline which gets it as a 4th level spell - druid or aquatic bloodline sorc. You can always heighten it again later.

Edit: If you want a familiar you can get one by sacrificing your 1st level sorc. bloodline power. The arcane bloodline isn't necessary if that's all it's in the build for.

Edit 2: if the arcane bloodline is for speeding up sorcerer metamagic, say Hi to Spontaneous Metafocus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spontaneous-metafocus).

Kraken
2015-04-17, 06:43 AM
The arcane bloodline has abilities that add to the save DC. If a bloodline were to get cut it'd probably be the fire elemental one, as it's basically only adding +1 to the DC thanks to the ifrit racial ability. So you could trade the fire bloodline and cut the DC by 1 for the aquatic bloodline and earlier access, which also opens up the possibility of changing the race altogether (anything with a charisma bonus, basically). Geyser does also have the water descriptor. Is there any way to increase the DC of water spells that's applicable?

I'm not sure how well other classes would be able to do with this, as it would require potentially optimizing a different stat, and replacing the DC increases from the arcane and fire bloodlines.