PDA

View Full Version : CR of Solving Puzzles to Defeat Enemies

Kami2awa
2007-04-15, 09:52 AM
In an upcoming campaign, I plan to have 2 encounters where the enemy can only be defeated by solving a puzzle.

The first is an adaptation of a creature which appeared in the D&D 2nd Ed Deities and Demigods book, a sort of cloud of intelligent mist which can only be killed by severing a silver cord connecting it to its origin; other attacks are useless. The cord is hidden from the front of the monster but can be clearly seen from the back.

The second is a construct enemy which puts itself back together in a few rounds if destroyed; it can only be permanently destroyed with the sword it carries which contains its life force. Destroying it requires disarming it then delivering the final blow with the sword. This vulnerability will be hinted but not explicitly told to the PCs.

The trouble is, I've no idea what the CR should be for this kind of encounter. If not for their immunities, the monsters would probably be about CR 10 and 12 respectively. Any thoughts?

Saph
2007-04-15, 10:05 AM
It's always hard to guess in advance how easy/hard a puzzle will be. Sometimes players will blow through it in minutes, other times they'll spend hours discussing different plans.

The first one sounds pretty easy, since someone's sure to get behind it sooner or later, so I wouldn't increase the CR at all.

The second is significantly tougher, but the players can just stand on top of it beating it to death as it tries to reassemble itself, and keep on beating it until they find what works. Maybe increase the CR by 1.

- Saph

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-04-15, 10:22 AM
I agree with Saph. Unless something is blocking the PC's from just flanking it, then the CR wouldn't go up. The Golem would be difficult, especally if your PCs never disarm. +2 to CR if they don't.

Ranis
2007-04-15, 10:26 AM
If I were you, I would make it appropriate to them based on how you feel the party is intelligent to handle and is capable of doing. Then give experience based upon how well they solve the situation. If you base it entirely off of CR, you'll confuse yourself and put more thought into it than is necessary.

Matthew
2007-04-15, 01:14 PM
It's always hard to guess in advance how easy/hard a puzzle will be. Sometimes players will blow through it in minutes, other times they'll spend hours discussing different plans.
Absolutely true. The thing about Puzzles in D&D is you want the Player Characters to be able to solve them. When I employ a puzzle, I usually assume that it will take only a minute or two for them to figure it out, if it takes longer then all the better, but usually it won't.

Imrahil
2007-04-15, 05:02 PM
Personally, it is in these situations that our DM usually uses ad hoc experience rather than trying to futz with the CR. Depending on our resourcefulness and how easily we manage to figure out the puzzle's solution is the deciding factor on how much we gain from the battle.