PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Thaumaturge Spellcasting Stack

SecretAsianMan
2015-04-17, 07:38 AM
What are the rules for getting spells per level from prestige classes and applying it to spells per level from other prestige classes? My main cheese attempt with this would be to take spellcasting levels of Mystic Thaumaturge while prestige classing to gain levels in both Arcane and Divine spellcasting. Per RAW would this be allowed? (I'm sure it's not RAI, but usually RAW > RAI)

The build: take one level of Wizard with the Precocious Apprectice feat (PGtF 181) and two levels of Cleric to gain 2nd lvl arcane and divine spells to gain access to Mystic Thaumaturge. Take one level of MT and then PrC into whatever else you want, gaining spells per level from MT instead of just Wizard or Cleric (since MT can be treated as both an Arcane and Divine spellcasting class and gets spells/lvl from both). Most PrCs seem to state something along these lines: "...you gain new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level." (from HoB 113) [Mods feel free to remove this if it's not kosher to quote this way.] IMO, Mystic Thaumaturge is an "arcane spellcasting class" that would qualify per RAW for spellcasting advancement. No sane DM would ever allow this, but it's more of a thought experiment on my part.

What do you all think? Do Prestige Classes qualify as the "target" of other Prestige Class spellcasting increases?

Karl Aegis
2015-04-17, 07:44 AM
Mystic Theurge does not have its own spellcasting, therefore, it cannot be advanced by other prestige classes. There is nothing to advance.

SecretAsianMan
2015-04-17, 08:03 AM
Nuts, I was afraid that's how the rules worked; thanks Karl.

nedz
2015-04-17, 01:50 PM
Mystic Theurge does not have its own spellcasting, therefore, it cannot be advanced by other prestige classes. There is nothing to advance.

Actually the rules never state that this is the case — it's a known dysfunction. It is however the only interpretation which makes sense from a number of perspectives.